Please Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krcranda

CRAN
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am new to this and never have been to SDN. I have some questions that I would greatly appreciate if someone could help me.

I took the DAT and got an AA of 16, and I have a 3.3 GPA and I have 88 credits completed. Do I have any chance of getting into Podiatry school for '07? And yes, I have shadowed another Pod and I am sincerely intrested in becoming one.

Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

krcranda said:
I am new to this and never have been to SDN. I have some questions that I would greatly appreciate if someone could help me.

I took the DAT and got an AA of 16, and I have a 3.3 GPA and I have 88 credits completed. Do I have any chance of getting into Podiatry school for '07? And yes, I have shadowed another Pod and I am sincerely intrested in becoming one.

Thank you for your time.

I'm am not familiar with the DAT scoring but your GPA is at an acceptable range. One thing to think about is some schools will not be accepting anything but the MCAT. If you really want in you might want to apply very early, and eliminate the chance of having to take the MCAT.

krcranda said:

Thank you for your time.

For '07, you have a chance with your GPA. Your DAT score, as you know, is poor and you probably want to consider taking the GRE, MCAT, or the DAT again. Unless you have already applied, or if you choose to take the DAT again, you don't have to submit your DAT scores. Instead, submit a GRE or MCAT score.

During this next school year, you may want to make sure you pull as close to a 4.0 as possible. This will reflect well for you. I know everyone will recommend you apply early so you have the best chances, but I would say get a 4.0 during this coming Fall and apply immediately afterwords. This will make you look as good on paper as possible.

If English and basic math skills are good, take the GRE! It will look better to take the GRE and do well than to take another test and do poorly. If you take the GRE and the GRE score doesn't go well, submit your DAT as it will carry more weight. If you don't care where you go, you could probably get in with your current stats. If you do care, strengthen your application over the next couple of months with the above mentioned recommendations or any other way (I'm sure equally as good). If you do this, you have a competitive chance for some of the better schools.

Good luck and congratulations on choosing podiatry. I'm sure you'll love it!

AZPOD Rocks

Members don't see this ad :)
AZPOD Rocks said:
For '07, you have a chance with your GPA. Your DAT score, as you know, is poor and you probably want to consider taking the GRE, MCAT, or the DAT again. Unless you have already applied, or if you choose to take the DAT again, you don't have to submit your DAT scores. Instead, submit a GRE or MCAT score.

During this next school year, you may want to make sure you pull as close to a 4.0 as possible. This will reflect well for you. I know everyone will recommend you apply early so you have the best chances, but I would say get a 4.0 during this coming Fall and apply immediately afterwords. This will make you look as good on paper as possible.

If English and basic math skills are good, take the GRE! It will look better to take the GRE and do well than to take another test and do poorly. If you take the GRE and the GRE score doesn't go well, submit your DAT as it will carry more weight. If you don't care where you go, you could probably get in with your current stats. If you do care, strengthen your application over the next couple of months with the above mentioned recommendations or any other way (I'm sure equally as good). If you do this, you have a competitive chance for some of the better schools.

Good luck and congratulations on choosing podiatry. I'm sure you'll love it!

AZPOD Rocks

So what you are telling me is that I COULD get into A podiatry school, but it would be a crappy one?

No, what he means is that if you have a preference in a geographical location that you rather go to then you might wanna do the above things, if you don't care where you go to and where you get accepted to then just apply with you current stats.. I am sure that you will have no problem in getting accepted to at least one school..

Your GPA is good, your dental admission test is below average but it will do since you have an OK GPA. Just make sure that you call each of the 7 schools and see which take the DAT as substitute.

Off the top of my head, Samuel Maritt, NYCPM, Temple allow you for such substitute.

hope this helps,

Cameron

Kamran654 said:
No, what he means is that if you have a preference in a geographical location that you rather go to then you might wanna do the above things, if you don't care where you go to and where you get accepted to then just apply with you current stats.. I am sure that you will have no problem in getting accepted to at least one school..

Your GPA is good, your dental admission test is below average but it will do since you have an OK GPA. Just make sure that you call each of the 7 schools and see which take the DAT as substitute.

Off the top of my head, Samuel Maritt, NYCPM, Temple allow you for such substitute.

hope this helps,

Cameron

CPMS will accept the DAT but only until Janurary. I believe that after that date they will only accept the MCAT.

Thank you guys for all the info, I love this SDN thing.

krcranda said:
Thank you guys for all the info, I love this SDN thing.

No flamming, but lets give the OP his realistic chances, we all know that DPM is one of the least competitive fields to get into compared to MD, DO, Dental, Pharm, and Opt. 3.3 is GREAT FOR POD SCHOOL. I GUARANTEE U THAT U WILL GET IN WITH THAT GPA, EVEN IF U PULL between a 20-26 on your MCAT you WILL GET in. My best friend's buddy got into pod school with a 2.6 GPA and 18 MCAT. And when I took my MCAT the first time I got a 21 I know boo hoo didnt study, but I did not even apply to pod school and was getting mad mail and letters from pod. schools trying to recruit me. WITHOUT ME SHOWING INTEREST and with the crappy old MCAT score, I am sure alot of people who took the MCAT experienced the same where pod. and chiro schools will send you all this junk mail to recruit you when you did not even apply.

All in all, keep your GPA steady, do ok on the MCAT, and your IN. And there is no such thing as a crappy DPM school, once your a DPM your a DPM. Now if location, tuition, etc... are a priority than being picky could be important. But I think your stats will get you into any pod school.

Again guys no flamming intended, but true honest advice FROM EXPERIENCE (have alot of fellows who did not get into MD and went Pod) and they got in with sub 3.0 GPAs. I just wanted to give the OP a rest assure if he is going into pod school for the right reasons and passion, his stats are definitely acceptable! :thumbup:

MD2B2004 --- "And when I took my MCAT the first time I got a 21 I know boo hoo didnt study, but I did not even apply to pod school and was getting mad mail and letters from pod. schools trying to recruit me. WITHOUT ME SHOWING INTEREST and with the crappy old MCAT score."

Just wondering how many times Mr. MD2B2004 said that...lol did podiatry schools make you feel special - I hope the chinesse food flyer on your front door make you as happy lol.

MD2b20004 said:
No flamming, but lets give the OP his realistic chances, we all know that DPM is one of the least competitive fields to get into compared to MD, DO, Dental, Pharm, and Opt. 3.3 is GREAT FOR POD SCHOOL. I GUARANTEE U THAT U WILL GET IN WITH THAT GPA, EVEN IF U PULL between a 20-26 on your MCAT you WILL GET in. My best friend's buddy got into pod school with a 2.6 GPA and 18 MCAT. And when I took my MCAT the first time I got a 21 I know boo hoo didnt study, but I did not even apply to pod school and was getting mad mail and letters from pod. schools trying to recruit me. WITHOUT ME SHOWING INTEREST and with the crappy old MCAT score, I am sure alot of people who took the MCAT experienced the same where pod. and chiro schools will send you all this junk mail to recruit you when you did not even apply.

All in all, keep your GPA steady, do ok on the MCAT, and your IN. And there is no such thing as a crappy DPM school, once your a DPM your a DPM. Now if location, tuition, etc... are a priority than being picky could be important. But I think your stats will get you into any pod school.

Again guys no flamming intended, but true honest advice FROM EXPERIENCE (have alot of fellows who did not get into MD and went Pod) and they got in with sub 3.0 GPAs. I just wanted to give the OP a rest assure if he is going into pod school for the right reasons and passion, his stats are definitely acceptable! :thumbup:

No offence but you're not a student at a pod school and neither are you an academic advisor, you you're not in a position to give out false "experertise" - no flamming intended!

Let me answer your post, First of all it is no secret that getting into Pod school is easier than MD, DO. You seem to be hung up on this fact, so again we already know that - many factors involved - visibility, lack of public awareness, smaller application poll. Second of all, IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE which school you go to - Better schools = better board preperations therefore better residency opportunities. At the same time, better schools also have better hospital affiliations for clinicals and better adavantage for their students - so yes, it does make a difference.

Lastly, no one disagreed that his stats won't get him in - however, competitive schools want competitive grades and scores. I am now aware that DMU only accepts MCAT scores begining in 2007, and they are a top school - so obviously the OP should be advised to take the MCAT for better opportunity. Again, no offence but you're not in a position to speak on behalf of pod schools and what not - you received pod mail letters just like many MCAT takers - i don't see the big deal with that because i've received mailings from Dental and osteopathic schools before.

I hope I didn't offend you but I'm just asking you to contribute and post statements that hold factual value not mere "personal experiences".

Thank you and best of luck to your future endeavours

You will get in somewhere. But the better your GPA and test scores, the BETTER your chances at the top schools.

Stats are always something that make me laugh. If you ever looked at many of the DO schools, they average 3.3 with 22-24. I'm pretty sure that is equal to the podiatry schools. But of course, podiatry is sooooooo much easier to get into. Ignorance is that only thing that I can say. I am not disagreeing that some schools are to lax on admissions, but we continue to push for better admissions.

FEE, FIE, FOE, FUM. Go back to under your bridge cause you sound dumb.

I hate trolls. I'm surprised he is able to post in podiatry b/c I thought my cowbell was toxic to most trolls. Maybe the effects are wearing off and I need a new super tool.

MD2b20004 said:
but I did not even apply to pod school and was getting mad mail and letters from pod. schools trying to recruit me. WITHOUT ME SHOWING INTEREST and with the crappy old MCAT score, I am sure alot of people who took the MCAT experienced the same where pod. and chiro schools will send you all this junk mail to recruit you when you did not even apply.

No Flamming: I think its funny when people say this because DO schools do it all the time as Podman illuded to. The only schools I have not seen do this is allopathic.

Members don't see this ad :)
IlizaRob said:
No Flamming: I think its funny when people say this because DO schools do it all the time as Podman illuded to. The only schools I have not seen do this is allopathic.

This is the type of flaming MD2B is into.

gay-parade-20.jpg

Dr_Feelgood said:
FEE, FIE, FOE, FUM. Go back to under your bridge cause you sound dumb.

I hate trolls. I'm surprised he is able to post in podiatry b/c I thought my cowbell was toxic to most trolls. Maybe the effects are wearing off and I need a new super tool.

Feelgood, maybe you should bust out a larger cowbell?

I'm pretty sure he's MDNOT2b or he wouldn't be spending so much time in our forum. Just another hopeless "pre-med". For knowing absolutely nothing about podiatric medicine, he sure has a lot of advice to give. But on the other hand, that pretty much sums up SDN :laugh:

MD2b20004 said:
3.3 is GREAT FOR POD SCHOOL. I GUARANTEE U THAT U WILL GET IN WITH THAT GPA, EVEN IF U PULL between a 20-26 on your MCAT you WILL GET in. My best friend's buddy got into pod school with a 2.6 GPA and 18 MCAT. I just wanted to give the OP a rest assure if he is going into pod school for the right reasons and passion, his stats are definitely acceptable! :thumbup:

There is a proven disparity in educational levels amongst the schools of podiatric medicine. I've always believed one ought to go to the best school they can. Sometimes non-academic concerns must rule out the possibility of attending certain schools but I think people ought to go to the best school they get accepted to, otherwise.

MD2b, you are obviously not an authority on the the topic of podiatric admissions. It would be interesting to know when your buddies were accepted to pod school, what schools they were accepted to with such low scores, and what stats you think the more competitive schools accept. You seem to believe that the entry stats don't matter as long as you are breathing and have 90 cr. hours.

Just as a matter of prudence, you ought to refrain from posting such ignorant things. AZPOD (Arizona Podiatric Medicine Program at Midwestern University - Glendale) has a mean cGPA of 3.5-3.6 this year and an average MCAT score of 27. This happens to correspond with every DO program in the country and a large portion of MD programs.

AZPOD Rocks

AZPOD Rocks said:
There is a proven disparity in educational levels amongst the schools of podiatric medicine. I've always believed one ought to go to the best school they can. Sometimes non-academic concerns must rule out the possibility of attending certain schools but I think people ought to go to the best school they get accepted to, otherwise.

MD2b, you are obviously not an authority on the the topic of podiatric admissions. It would be interesting to know when your buddies were accepted to pod school, what schools they were accepted to with such low scores, and what stats you think the more competitive schools accept. You seem to believe that the entry stats don't matter as long as you are breathing and have 90 cr. hours.

Just as a matter of prudence, you ought to refrain from posting such ignorant things. AZPOD (Arizona Podiatric Medicine Program at Midwestern University - Glendale) has a mean cGPA of 3.5-3.6 this year and an average MCAT score of 27. This happens to correspond with every DO program in the country and a large portion of MD programs.

AZPOD Rocks

Just what I thought, those who have esteem problems rage and go off and take a simple answer to the OP as me offending your field which was not the intention. I have the upmost respect for all healthcare fields. And No, i never said I was an authority on pod. admissions, but the facts are the facts and i wanted to let the OP know the real chances of him getting into pod. school. And about residency, it works like Med School, you can go to a lower tier med school and be top of your class and Rock the boards and get into the best residencies and vice versa, so in that matter what pod. school you go to does not matter. But I personally announced in the original post that my response was to give the OP the most accurate advice from my experience and knowledge of the Pod. field from those I seen go into it. But it seems like those who have low self-esteem and flame people for no reason prob. feel like they did not go to pod. school for the right reason that's why they get defensive for no gard darn reason.
Peace All :thumbup:

MD2b20004 said:
Just what I thought, those who have esteem problems rage and go off and take a simple answer to the OP as me offending your field which was not the intention. I have the upmost respect for all healthcare fields. And No, i never said I was an authority on pod. admissions, but the facts are the facts and i wanted to let the OP know the real chances of him getting into pod. school. And about residency, it works like Med School, you can go to a lower tier med school and be top of your class and Rock the boards and get into the best residencies and vice versa, so in that matter what pod. school you go to does not matter. But I personally announced in the original post that my response was to give the OP the most accurate advice from my experience and knowledge of the Pod. field from those I seen go into it. But it seems like those who have low self-esteem and flame people for no reason prob. feel like they did not go to pod. school for the right reason that's why they get defensive for no gard darn reason.

wow so you're a psychiatrist and assessed that we have self-esteem issues - thanks alot man!

Back to your "experience" - your input is valued but it is very irresponsible to pass them as FACTS because they are not facts - they are an "experience" as you said. I got accepted to an osteopathic school before completing my masters degree, does that make me an expert on their admissions? Of course not. Again, please don't give advise as facts unless you are in a position to do so. Going to a "top" school is a better advantage than going to a lower tier schools - this is something I can attest though despite not going to a "top 3" school.

I hope you didn't take my post as a personal attack on you or anything but I'm just asking you to post with some responsibility - your personal experience does not equal to professional facts.

Now and again we will see people like MD2B who will justify their insults with a strategic disclaimer at the end such as "just kidding", or in this case, "no flamming please". Indulge me if you will. Quoted from our MD2B friend:

MD2b20004 said:
And when I took my MCAT the first time I got a 21 I know boo hoo didnt study, but I did not even apply to pod school and was getting mad mail and letters from pod. schools trying to recruit me. WITHOUT ME SHOWING INTEREST and with the crappy old MCAT score, I am sure alot of people who took the MCAT experienced the same where pod. and chiro schools will send you all this junk mail to recruit you when you did not even apply.

Come on, you cant justify this as simply trying to educate the OP. Its completely unrelated. And you used caps. A little condescending. I am often reminded of the classic line in the movie "dumb and dumber" with the attempt to poke fun at such phrases.

Loyd: "Man, you are one pathetic loser. No offense"
Harry: "No, none taken".

It was funny because Harry's response was completely abnormal and Loyd actually got away with it. Imagine if you stopped some woman on the street and told her she was a fat lard. You then procede with a classic, "just kidding". Im sure she would walk away laughing.

I say this because MD2B obviously does not understand standard social etiquette and was confused by the reaction to his comments. Well...that and because Im tired of studying for boards and I needed something to do. Thanks for the entertainment SDN. :thumbup:

A usual podiatry fourm - a moran started a stupied debat and never give himself a chance to understand & absorb information. sorry i got no time to waste w/ u....

Dr. Foot said:
A usual podiatry fourm - a moran started a stupied debat and never give himself a chance to understand & absorb information. sorry i got no time to waste w/ u....

Is this even coherent English?

MD2b20004 said:

Please understand that when we bash you it isn't because we have self esteem issues or feel inferior about our profession choice, we bash you because we simply don't like you! You are a fool! Why waste your time on our forum? :thumbdown:

Is this even coherent English?

MD2b20004 said:

clearly you are not an authority about pod schools, pod admissions, or how the residencies work either.

no you cannot rock the boards to get accepted to a great res program. I could get 100% on the boards and not get accepted to my first choice program where a total doosh that just bearly passed the boards even with a curve could get into the #1 program in the country.

If the doosh does better in the interview he wins. we could both end up with interviews because just passing the boards is what matters, no one sees the actual or curved scores just pass or fail. the interviews are granted on basis of GPA and class rank.

the doosh might have a high class ranking and high GPA and just had a bad day the day of the boards.

Hey guys, I do not mean do get in the middle of your guys' arguing, but some of you guys were mistaken that I took the MCAT. Actually, I took the DAT and got a 16 and I have a 3.3 DAT. So, without retaking the test, or taking the MCAT, do any of you think that I could get into a good school, that is reasonable in price with cost of living a tuition (definitely not the CA school from what I have heard). I know this Iowa school that everyone is talking about is definitely out of my league, but anyone suggest the best school for me WITH MY CURRENT STATS.
Thanks you guys.

What are the good Pod schools??? Where does Temple rank?
I had a friend who applied to US med schools, and she had crap test scores and really crap marks (like a 50% in one of her 4th year, required to graduate Bio classes) and the Pod school (who she didn't apply to) called to recruit her. I guess no one else applied that year...
Seriously, it's a bit easier to get into because only WEIRDOS wanna touch feet. How many times have you been asked if you have a foot fetish??? No really, granny's bunions are not hot!

sarah12300 said:
I had a friend who applied to US med schools, and she had crap test scores and really crap marks (like a 50% in one of her 4th year, required to graduate Bio classes) and the Pod school (who she didn't apply to) called to recruit her. I guess no one else applied that year...
Seriously, it's a bit easier to get into because only WEIRDOS wanna touch feet. How many times have you been asked if you have a foot fetish??? No really, granny's bunions are not hot!

Yeah, thats the predisposition that many uninformed people take when Podiatry crosses their mind. Are they really a doctor? Is this something that they can actually do, touch gross feet all day long?

The way I see it, I will be much happier with my life doing the things that I actually like and having Podiatric Medicine as a part of my life. Instead of being a slave to any old hospital so their CEO's can bring home millions each year. The more premeds that dislike the feet and do not enter our field the better. I just read that over 40% of Podiatrists are between the ages of 40-50 years old. That means, that there will be plenty of patients and $$$ to go around in our future as fellow well educated DPM's.

sarah12300 said:

Recruits send mailings to MCAT and DAT takers regardlers of your scores - chances are if her scores are crap then she won't get it in a top school. Temple is probably a top 4 school, with DMU being number 1 in my opinion at least.

Your misconception of people or "weirdos" touching feet is seriously false. We are at an age and a generation of podiatrists where people choose their field rather than settling for a "foot fetish:, as you adequately put it :D. In reality, this is an attractive profession with much professional satisfaction - You specialize in an area of the lower extremity and you are trained to solve ALL problems by conservative or surgical treatments. Many of us, including myself feel that podiatric medicine and surgery is probably medicine's best kept secret - so many misconceptions about our profession because it is small but the professional benefits are incredible. That is why we choose to be podiatrists and love our profession - not because we are "weirdos who love feet" but because we want to specialize in an area of medicine that gives us complete control and knowledge in specialization.

krcranda said:
Hey guys, I do not mean do get in the middle of your guys' arguing, but some of you guys were mistaken that I took the MCAT. Actually, I took the DAT and got a 16 and I have a 3.3 DAT. So, without retaking the test, or taking the MCAT, do any of you think that I could get into a good school, that is reasonable in price with cost of living a tuition (definitely not the CA school from what I have heard). I know this Iowa school that everyone is talking about is definitely out of my league, but anyone suggest the best school for me WITH MY CURRENT STATS.
Thanks you guys.

Your GPA is not superb but ok, the DAT score is a bit low. However, I think that at least one school would accept you with these stats - so apply to all 8. My advice would be to retake and improve your DAT or even go for the MCAT. However, if this is not your intention then I'm sure one of the other schools would at least consider you for an interview

Maybe this is something new, but when I took that MCAT (a million years ago), I never received unsolicited mail. Is this true with anyone else?

Dr_Feelgood said:
Maybe this is something new, but when I took that MCAT (a million years ago), I never received unsolicited mail. Is this true with anyone else?

No mail from anything in the U.S.
However, did receive the SGU Challenge every week. :laugh:
Also, did get some brochure on another over sea's med school in mexico.

Nothing from Podiatry schools, I had to look on the internet and find out the profession first hand.

doclm said:
No mail from anything in the U.S.
However, did receive the SGU Challenge every week. :laugh:
Also, did get some brochure on another over sea's med school in mexico.

Nothing from Podiatry schools, I had to look on the internet and find out the profession first hand.

We must not be cool like MD2B. :eek:

I also did not receive anything from podiatry schools, just MD schools in the Caribbean. At this point, I still thought podiatrists were MD's.

Dr_Feelgood said:

I just took the MCAT in April and I didnt get any mail from pod schools until I asked for it.

Well, I think that this proves Mr. MD2B is full of something and probably not flyers from podiatric schools.

Dr_Feelgood said:
Well, I think that this proves Mr. MD2B is full of something and probably not flyers from podiatric schools.
I normally don't respond to such posts but this is hilarious, Feelgood!!! lol :laugh:

AZPOD Rocks

I got the post card from NYCPM after I took the MCAT.

the schools admissions departments pay for a list of students that check the box that allows the MCAT to give their info to these soliciting schools.

If you did not check the box or checked "no" then you would not get anything because legally MCAT was not allowed to give out you info.

and if you only got stuff from one school that is because NYCPM is probably the only school that buys the list and sends out the info.