please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweetmonkey

Pre-Optometry
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knew what the GPA would be like for the new optometric schools - like the one opening up in San Antonio, TX.
Will the GPA for the Optometric School in Houston, TX be skewed due to the opening of the new school?
Could I possibly slide by with a bit lower GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

What do you mean by "lower"?

How far along are you in undergrad?

I am a sophomore at Austin College taking pre-med/pre-optometry classes. I took a practice OAT type test and made about a 320. By a bit lower gpa I was thinking 3.1-3.2?

Members don't see this ad :)
At this point no one can answer your question.

Though I would not be surprised if the avg. GPA of an incoming student at a new opt school is lower since those with more competitive stats will more likely go to a more well-known and established optometry program in my opinion.

I got in with a 3.1 but I'm not saying that that always happens. You're a sophomore, you have plenty of time to bring it up. Better safe than sorry... but remember, it isn't all about the GPA, it's the whole package (OAT's, extracurriculars, interview, etc.) so don't base your chances just on your grades. Study, work hard, and don't stress too much! :luck:

Besides - GPA requirements are probably not the best way to choose a school.

can we apply to these new schools this september? to attend in 2010?

can we apply to these new schools this september? to attend in 2010?

As far as I know, yes. 2 new Optometric Schools are opening up in 2009 - one in TX, SanAntonio & one in California.
We can apply in 2009.