PLEASE, I need some HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kingkou23

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am new to these forums and really need some help on a few things...

Well here are my issues,
After much confusion on what I wanted to do...I just decided to make the push towards dentistry about a month ago...I am a bit confused on my timeline though. I am set to graduate and get my B.A. in Psychology in the Spring of 2008 from the University of California, San Diego. I know there are a set of required classes that I have to take for dental schooln but before I transfered to UCSD I went to community college and took some science classes: 2 Chem classes, 2 Bio classes and a few other science classes (astronomy, biopsychology). I know I have to take a Physics class and my question lies here. I am not going to be able to take it during this next year because I have to finish my other classes to graduate on time and I already have to carry a heavy course load.

So I thought of taking the other science classes that I need next summer, but what really bothers me is that I am going to lose another year. I also was planning on taking the DAT this summer and was going to sign up for a DAT prep course. But if I take the class without having taken a science class (bio, chem, physics) in a year or so I feel like I wont do too well since I might be a little rusty. Any suggestions on what I should do?

Sorry for the longgggggggg explanation but any help would be very much appreciated!

Thank You very much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I am new to these forums and really need some help on a few things...

Well here are my issues,
After much confusion on what I wanted to do...I just decided to make the push towards dentistry about a month ago...I am a bit confused on my timeline though. I am set to graduate and get my B.A. in Psychology in the Spring of 2008 from the University of California, San Diego. I know there are a set of required classes that I have to take for dental schooln but before I transfered to UCSD I went to community college and took some science classes: 2 Chem classes, 2 Bio classes and a few other science classes (astronomy, biopsychology). I know I have to take a Physics class and my question lies here. I am not going to be able to take it during this next year because I have to finish my other classes to graduate on time and I already have to carry a heavy course load.

So I thought of taking the other science classes that I need next summer, but what really bothers me is that I am going to lose another year. I also was planning on taking the DAT this summer and was going to sign up for a DAT prep course. But if I take the class without having taken a science class (bio, chem, physics) in a year or so I feel like I wont do too well since I might be a little rusty. Any suggestions on what I should do?

Sorry for the longgggggggg explanation but any help would be very much appreciated!

Thank You very much!

No worries. The science part of the DAT isn't as in-depth as it is in lecture. And don't worry about losing another year. It's just another year to relax before entering the most stressful schooling you'll ever experience in your life. Many people lose 6-8 years going from CC to undergrad and graduating and then taking the DAT/MCAT after graduation. It's no biggy.

Kingkou23,

I am glad to hear that you have chosen this career field as what you were meant to do. Because you just made the decision and you aren't ready to apply yet because you still haven't met your pre-reqs, take your time. Since you can't take classes to mee the pre-reqs until summer, son't try to cram them in during the summer. The last thing you want to do is take a bunch of summer classes that are pre-reqs and do only average work. It is ok for many schools to apply before the pre-reqs are finished. Split them up between next summer and next fall and you should be fine.

As for the DAT, why try to take it this summer? Give yourself time to study for it since you aren't ready to apply this cycle. There is no need to rush this. It is better to give yourself the time to study than to rush and take it before you are ready. Getting a bad score because you rushed and weren't ready will only cause frustration and a loss of money.

Don't worry about the one year. You just made the decision recently. It is better to take yor time right now and benefit from a stronger application than to rush and wish you hadn't later. Good luck.

^ thanks a lot for those suggestions!

can anyone else offer some feedback/help?
thanks!