Please, need scheduling advice. Holiday interruption?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikel905

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be starting DAT studying in October and am worried that I may not be ready to take the exam by the holidays. From what I've seen on SDN, DAT studying requires an intense hermit-like schedule on a daily basis, and I'm not sure if I can do that to my family during the holidays. Would a bit of a holiday break be a major detriment/interruption to one's DAT studying nearing exam day? Should I plan on pushing the exam back further to give more time to review to make up for the holiday break? Or should I make every effort to take it before the holidays and/or try to avoid the holidays and not let it affect me? Or am I totally blowing this out of proportion?

I appreciate any advice. And please don't laugh at what some might consider something trivial (that is, Christmas time; for purposes of DAT studying I wish I could disappear from now straight through the holidays! But every family is different! That being said, I can laugh at myself and wouldn't take anything too personally).

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It depends on a couple things : You as an individual as well as how well you want to score.

Are you easily distracted and find it difficult to come back to your studies?
Are you aiming for a 19 or a 25?
Do you have a decent background in the courses required?
etc.

All in all, I think you should be able to answer this question yourself. Some people can study for 3 weeks uninterrupted 8 hours a day and do fine. Some want to do 6 weeks and hang out every week. I had to take the whole summer because I was really poor in Biology and I knew even though it would probably take 6 weeks to study for the DAT, it would take a whole month for me to relearn cell bio and to learn physio/anatomy.