please please help=pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinks

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am from india.i will be getting my green card in november.i wish to do only pharmacy in US.can somebody please assist me how much do i need to get in sat1 and toefl in order to get into 6 years pharm.d after high school?do i need sat2?my past record is as follows:
9th grade=81%
10th grade=84.53%
11th grade=63%
12th grade=77.83%
toefl =213-267[given yesterday]
i have hardly participated in extracirricular activities.though i have got certificates in some subjects like english,maths.
please give me a private message at pinks soon.please help me.if you have some other relevant information on pharmacy education at an undergraduate level,do share with me by private messaging me

Members don't see this ad.

I assume you never went to college in India. I do not know which state you live in. California is the most competitive. What you could do is apply to community colleges or state universities. When applying to pharm school, usually the quality of your undergrad school does not make that much of a difference (unless it is California). What matters is that you get as many A's as possible in the pharmacy prerequisites whatever they are from school to school and a high score on the PCAT 90+ is always sufficient.

Your high school record does not matter much for pharm school, if it is NOT a six-year program. I would take the SAT I and TOEFL to apply to undergrad schools, as well as the six-year programs. Neither should be that hard. Also, the percentages in India is a very different system from the U.S. and not comparable to U.S. high schools, which are mostly quite easy with a few exceptions. I think if you want to go to a six year program to study hard for the SAT I and get a high score, and ask the pharm schools that have the 6-year programs how they would evaluate a foreign high school. Explain what the percentages mean in terms of class rank. I know that in India, over 60% at some very top colleges, i.e. (IIT in Bombay, Indian Statistical Institute) put people in the top of their class.
Some of the schools that have six year-programs are:

Philadelphia College of Pharmacy (this is a VERY good school and they only take people out of high school)

Long Island University (not that good compared to Philadelphia)

Butler University

Albany College of Pharmacy (very good program and mostly take people out of high school)

Massachusetts College of Pharmacy (my aunt graduated from here, it is a very good program as well).

There are others but the best programs that take people out of high school (6 years) are probably Philadelphia, Massachusetts, and Albany in my opinion.

Go to www.pharmcas.org and look under school information and click on view institutions, and you can go to these schools websites, and call or e-mail the schools.

Good luck!

i got 81% n 9th grade.84.53% in 10th grade,63% in 11th grade and 77.83% in 12 th grade.can i enter a pre-pharmacy college in january.2006?i m getting my green card in oct.i got 213-267 in toefl and what should i get in sat1?please help me

pinks said:
i got 81% n 9th grade.84.53% in 10th grade,63% in 11th grade and 77.83% in 12 th grade.can i enter a pre-pharmacy college in january.2006?i m getting my green card in oct.i got 213-267 in toefl and what should i get in sat1?please help me

Those percents mean nothing in this country. I also can't interpret toefl scores.

The previous poster mentioned some schools that you can apply to that have a 6-year program. The first 2 years of those programs are pre-pharmacy. There is not a "pre-pharmacy" college. You can take the prerequisite classes at a community college, a state school, a private college, etc. I suggest going to community college first, getting your AA degree and taking your pre-pharmacy classes. Then either apply to a 4-year pharmacy program or transfer to a 4-year school and get your bachelors then try for pharmacy.

You don't need to take the SAT to get into community college.