Please provide some feedback!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ME01234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated with a BS in Mechanical Engineering from a reputable university in 2010 with a cGPA of 3.14 and sGPA of 3.39. Currently I am working at a big automotive company as a project engineer. I started working here in my sophomore here and was hired full time after my graduation. Since then I have been promoted once.

After experiencing how monotonous the life can be as an engineer I have decided to finally pursue my childhood dream of being a doctor.

So here is my plan. Please give me your honest feedback if I am on the right path. I will be applying for the 2013 application cycle.

1) Increase cGPA to 3.2 and sGPA to 3.4 before April 2013. Due to work schedule I am only restricted to evening classes.
2) Take MCAT – I did some practice tests and scored a mean score of 35.
3) I was a member of some international clubs during my undergraduate years. Currently I am a member of a religious society in my area.
4) I have been tutoring on and off since my sophomore year (high school / college students).
5) I have volunteered through work to tutor underprivileged kids (6 month initiative).
6) Currently volunteering / shadowing at a private clinic. The physician is an Otolaryngologist. (will have 80-90hrs by April 2013).If possible I will try to volunteer at an ER.
7) I have been sponsoring a child financially and educationally in a third world country through a charitable organization. Always wanted to do this, at least some good came out of my job.
8) I have some experience interacting/ taking care of cancer patients through a job I had during my sophomore year. Made some really good friends there.
9) I have some excellent leadership experience through my work.
10) Work on improving my writing skills.

What do you guys think, do I have a shot!! I am an IL resident.

Members don't see this ad.

Just use your engineering badassery (assuming NWestern or Illinois) and get a 40 on the MCAT, then you'll def get in somewhere. My engineering GPA isn't all that great either, and I'm applying with not so great 34 MCAT, but I'm pretty sure I'm smart enough for med school.

You Rock!! I hope you get in somewhere @ ShenanigansMD .

Is there anything else I can do to increase my chances!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like you have a really good plan. I would definitely be interested in interviewing you!

Just use your engineering badassery (assuming NWestern or Illinois) and get a 40 on the MCAT, then you'll def get in somewhere. My engineering GPA isn't all that great either, and I'm applying with not so great 34 MCAT, but I'm pretty sure I'm smart enough for med school.

Every single one of your posts annoys me, and I'm usually just a lurker.

OP - you'll be fine. Focusing on improving your GPA should be your priority, but I'm sure it already is. :luck:

Yeah dude, that is terrible. Have you considered DO?;)