Please Read

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jaba

S.mutans
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I posted this in the wrong forum before..

What to do?

Hello everyone. I am now almost finished my undergraduate degree in Biological Sciences and I am wondering what to do in the event I don't get accepted this cycle. My overall GPA is 3.08 and my Science GPA is 2.98. By the end of the semester I will probably have it up to 3.2 an 3.1 respectively. I will be re-taking the DAT on June and will have 2 months to study for it

I should also mention that I am a Canadian student. I finished 5 years of my program, with the last two years showing all A's (except 2 courses with B's). I have taken all the pre-req's; however, Organic I, II and Physics I and II I have made only D grades. I will be applying to schools that hopefully don't require at least a C in those. I have had a rough go with these courses, but showed improvement in later years. I don't have more time to repeat the courses, unfortunately, because I don't want to overstay my welcome at my present university.

I am just very worried about my situation that I am in now. I am hoping for the best. I volunteer at a local dental office, and have been for the past 3 years. I absolutely love the profession, and I can't see myself doing anything other. I lack guidance because my school doesn't provide any help or assistance with dentistry.... therefore, I am taking these comments made on here very seriously and hope some people can help me solve my problem. Anyone that had a similar situation, I would appreciate it also if you would give me your 2 cents!

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

You're going to have to retake Organic and Physics 1 and 2 and get at least a C or higher, I think most, if not all dental schools require courses to be at least a C. Try a post-bacc program or masters to raise your gpa, you unfortunately might have to "overstay your welcome" at your school.

You're going to have to retake Organic and Physics 1 and 2 and get at least a C or higher, I think most, if not all dental schools require courses to be at least a C. Try a post-bacc program or masters to raise your gpa, you unfortunately might have to "overstay your welcome" at your school.

I have actually called some private dental schools and they told me it didn't matter, as long as it was a pass at my school. Also, we don't have post-bacc programs at the school I am at? I think it is more of an option down in the States. I was thinking about doing a masters, but this raises even more questions.

I just wouldn't know when to re-take organic/physics if I am studying for the DAT in May and June. Could I submit my application early still and tell the schools that I will re-take the courses later i.e in July?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, what options are there for the Masters programs? Would I still have to retake organic/physics if I decided to do masters and move on instead?

i am not a canadian student but here are my 2 cents..........

im going to have to agree with crazy4clana about retaking those classes.

which private schools did you ask?

why dont you stay an extra semester to retake those classes?

on AADSAS you can put classes you plan to take over the summer and fall.

do well on the DAT.

I don't mean to break your heart, but here's what I think you need to do to be a competitive applicant:

-Retake all pre-reqs you have C's or D's in and obtain A's or B's (I realize this may take you more than a year, but this is a game of perseverance!)

-Perform well on the science section of your DAT

-Don't be in a rush to apply

-Make sure you have your extra-curriculars in order

I hope you only have to do some of those to gain admission, but in my opinion you should do all. Best of luck!!

-Cyrus

I don't mean to break your heart, but here's what I think you need to do to be a competitive applicant:

-Retake all pre-reqs you have C's or D's in and obtain A's or B's (I realize this may take you more than a year, but this is a game of perseverance!)

-Perform well on the science section of your DAT

-Don't be in a rush to apply

-Make sure you have your extra-curriculars in order

I hope you only have to do some of those to gain admission, but in my opinion you should do all. Best of luck!!

-Cyrus

Ok that sounds good... I would like to take the pre-requisites over at the University of Florida. Could I maybe take those in the summer time?

Absolutely. However make sure you take them before your DAT, so plan on applying for 2010.

-Cyrus

I was actually thinking about taking the DAT in July. At the same time in the spring I could take Organic I again which would help to refresh my memory. Is Organic II required for the DAT?

I was actually thinking about taking the DAT in July. At the same time in the spring I could take Organic I again which would help to refresh my memory. Is Organic II required for the DAT?

Yes it is required for the DAT. I took my DAT in late August. As long as you send your application, transcripts, and LOR around May/June you should be fine.

Yeah, both are on the DAT. In my opinion you should try to finish off Organic 1 and 2 before you take the DAT just because your scores for those classes are low, you should brush up on Bio, Gen Chem, Organic and Analytical Math. Take it when you are ready, there's no need to rush.

Yeah, both are on the DAT. In my opinion you should try to finish off Organic 1 and 2 before you take the DAT just because your scores for those classes are low, you should brush up on Bio, Gen Chem, Organic and Analytical Math. Take it when you are ready, there's no need to rush.

Sounds good. I just want to be an "early applicant", one of the first that they see.. Everyone told me to be early this time so that is my #1 priority.

If I submit everything by May 18th e.g that should be fine right? By what time must I have the DAT completed though to still be "early". I cant stress enough that I need it to be one of the first that gets sent out in the application pool. What would the latest day I could take the DAT be?

THank you so much for all your help. I am in a tricky situation right now but I know I can dig myself out.

Sounds good. I just want to be an "early applicant", one of the first that they see.. Everyone told me to be early this time so that is my #1 priority.

If I submit everything by May 18th e.g that should be fine right? By what time must I have the DAT completed though to still be "early". I cant stress enough that I need it to be one of the first that gets sent out in the application pool. What would the latest day I could take the DAT be?

THank you so much for all your help. I am in a tricky situation right now but I know I can dig myself out.

If you want to be in the first batch of applicants to be reviewed then take the DAT no later than August 1st. You can send the application with transcripts and Recommendations in June if you have to delay it. Sending it in May will give you some additional time in case something happens with AADSAS.

Once I finish my degree, could I take the pre-req courses anywhere? I know Athabasca University offers some courses through correspondence. What have people heard about those? IS it ok that I take courses after my degree has been finished at my university?

Thanks

i dont see why not?

how come you dont just take the classes at your current university?

i dont see why not?

how come you dont just take the classes at your current university?

I would actually like to take the courses in the states.

Can someone tell me which courses at UFl that I could take during the summer to meet the pre-req's? I'm looking into:

Physics I, II
Organic I, II
English (I only need .5 credits)

Hopefully I can take it in: "summer B"?

Thanks