Please reassure me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Burnted_out

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
So very random and probably stupid of me to ask this - but a small chunk of egg got into my lip from a patient who is 96 as she was speaking. Medically I am sure there is no risk of getting contacted with anything, but it freaked me out. Please reassure me that i'm just being stupid and that there is no risk of transmission of anything!

Members don't see this ad.

are you sure you are in the right field?

Members don't see this ad :)
:( yes
I know the answer objectively but I think my post is clear. I am a human being with fears you know

well, there is obviously no real answer. yes, there was some random bacteria on the egg. so? not sure why you are so freaked out about it. lets just say this isnt something where you would put in a worker's comp claim.

well, there is obviously no real answer. yes, there was some random bacteria on the egg. so? not sure why you are so freaked out about it. lets just say this isnt something where you would put in a worker's comp claim.

It’s not the egg I’m worried about. It’s the 96 year old mouthy/saliva. I am not looking to put in a workers comp claim.

It’s not the egg I’m worried about. It’s the 96 year old mouthy/saliva. I am not looking to put in a workers comp claim.

96 y/o saliva is no worse than 26 y/o saliva.

upload_2018-12-10_13-38-35.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
All saliva is gross. I would find it surprising if you thought it wasn’t gross that a patients egg from their mouth would fly into your mouth when they were speaking.

revolting
princess-bride.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
which brings me back my original response: you sure you are in the right field?

look, i dont want geriatric egg covered mucous on my lips either, but i'd just wipe it away and move on.....

then again, my perspective may be a little different: i woke up with a 4 year old's butthole lliterally on my eyeball this morning, and that was before cleaning vomit off my kitchjen counter.

well you won't get a blood borne illness, so thats reassuring. Unless the old lady bit her lip right before the egg flew out and you also bit your lip at the same time and the egg went immediately to your exposed blood. But that would probably be impossible.

At worst you could get a bacterial or viral infection. But probably not likely as saliva has antiseptic properties.

You're going to deal with small things like this throughout your career. Most people don't worry about it because the risk is small and there isn't anything you can really do about it. You will come across patients who spit saliva every time they speak.

FYI, if you ever pull a PEG tube out, make sure you wear a mask and eye shield. The first time I pulled one I think I got some stomach juice in my eye. Yummy.

Never have children. A little food? Pfff. Try being projectile shat upon

That has happened as well unfortunately. Luckily my reflexes were on that day and I ducked prior to any spit actually hitting me!

Blowouts, projectile whatever, and the fact their hands are always covered in saliva or something sticky... why do we have kids again?

My son seems to own every room in the house. And now he’s learning not just to open drawers, but to take things out and put them back in. That wouldn’t be so bad if he was cleaning up after himself, but he puts things back in random drawers/cabinets. Was trying to get cereal the other day and his stuffed orange dinosaur was at the bottom of the cabinet, just staring at me.

(We only childproof the drawers that need it-we find it keeps him entertained and satisfies his curiosity if we let him wander the home and explore. I wish I could be so easily entertained)

Blowouts, projectile whatever, and the fact their hands are always covered in saliva or something sticky... why do we have kids again?

My son seems to own every room in the house. And now he’s learning not just to open drawers, but to take things out and put them back in. That wouldn’t be so bad if he was cleaning up after himself, but he puts things back in random drawers/cabinets. Was trying to get cereal the other day and his stuffed orange dinosaur was at the bottom of the cabinet, just staring at me.

(We only childproof the drawers that need it-we find it keeps him entertained and satisfies his curiosity if we let him wander the home and explore. I wish I could be so easily entertained)

I might name my next child “Entropy”...maybe make it Intropi to make it a little bit more edgy

Reactions: 1 user