Please review my primary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

airquis91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I decided to be proactive and get the jump on my primaries and secondaries for next year (COVID delay). Writing is a personal weakness of mine, so I have to work on these things well in advance. I sent my drafts out to a couple of reviewers and i got a mix of feedback ranging from its great (don't trust this person anymore lol) to its terrible (i have good ECs) and I need to establish a narrative via "show don't tell" (absolutely despise this rule lol). Is there anyone willing to review my primary? Also: does this "show don't tell" rule apply to secondaries as well? From what I saw it seems that the ADCOMS want a straightforward answer for some of their prompts rather than a story/narrative. BONUS: If there are any veterans applying now or successfully applied in the past, how did you establish your narrative? I don't know how to make my duties sound flowery at all.

Members don't see this ad.

posted in the wrong area sorry about that please delete mods

Show don't tell means this to me:

Answer ? using their prompt. Back it up w/ a concrete experience and/or relevant thoughts using an experience, etc. Then how you grew from that, if needed (everyone loves introspection, show's that you aren't a ditz and can grow properly and think for yourself).

Dumb example to "describe your worse failure":

Don't write "There's was this time where I failed a class due to my life circumstances".

Write something like (not too personal but I mean, you are trying to get a point across to someone who doesn't know you): "There's was this time where I failed a class due to my life circumstances. My ***idfk what this example is anymore,* my parents were in the hospital caring for my sick pappy, and I was left there at my college worrying sick about my blood. I understand that classes are important, but I may have been too immature to see or to balance my classes as well. From this, I gained a sense of balance, or, the need for a better sense of balance. I got back onto my horse, but I see now that even though the going gets toughghfgdjfbgkdsjbfgs, I couldn't and shouldn't have devoted so much time to being fraught w/ so much fear for my family that I almost lost being in the present w/ classes. And while I'm always working on making sure the proper channels are dedicated to both balance and my mental health, physical health, ultimately failing like this was, in a sense, a good thing to do early in my life rather than later."

Your job is to stroke the curiosity and ego of your reader lol. You're playing a game, best to give them a good show.

Would’ve been happy to review your primary, but “show don’t tell” is my mantra...so good luck!