1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

please review my school

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by MacEvangelist, May 6, 2004.

1. MacEvangelist

MacEvangelist Junior Member

Jefferson med
    Tulane
    Ohio State
    PCOM
    Case Western
    Columbia
    CCLM
    Medical College of Ohio
    Ohio university -Osteopathic
    University of utah
    University of Pennysylvania
    Baylor
    University of illinois chicago
    University of Chicago
    Vanderbilt
    NoVa Southeastern
    Mt. Sinai
    Rosalind Franklin
    University of Minnesota
    Dartmouth
    University of Texas (all schools)
    Drexel
    Cornell
    Georgetown
    Northwestern
    Tufts

My stats
    Overall GPA : 3.45, Science GPA : 3.45
    Major: Engineering
    School: Big public state school
    MCAT : 35 Q Verbal was 9
    EC's : Volunteers 3 years, film making (camerawoman), worked fulltime 2 years, worked partime 2 years while in college, avg 20 credit hours course load, a musician, an editor on campus, 3 years research in 2 labs, 1 thesis pending.
    Race: Asian

thanks! ALso add to my list if you know more schools. I know my chance of getting in does not look good but at least I try.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MacEvangelist

Yup not Us citizen nor PR/green card

4. Pinkertinkle

Pinkertinkle 2003 Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Ouch, is there any way you could get your permanent residency?

5. MacEvangelist

marry someone who's US citien. But I couldd't do it. I just could not.
    I want to go home after med school. Well, that is if I get in.
    All i need to do now is "getting in".
    I have secured funding for med school. Conditional funding and will be mine if I get in.

6. pekq

pekq Gunner
    7+ Year Member

Go home after med school? You will probably be better off attending med school in your home country. A lot cheaper and you don't need to go through the hurdle of transferring your med degree or whatever it takes to practice with a foreign MD in your home country.

7. bigbassinbob

bigbassinbob Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If you don't want to practice medicine in the U.S. then why would you want to go to school here? Most medical schools don't want to put all the money into educating someone and then have them leave the country, and rightfully so. If you did get into a school here, you would be taking the spot of a person who would serve in the U.S. as a physician -- and you would be contributing to the ever-growing shortage of doctors. In all honesty, you shouldn't be allowed into a U.S. medical school. Sorry.

8. Alexander99

Alexander99 Ghetto Fabulous
    7+ Year Member

That's exactly why many med schools don't accept foreign applicants--cause they have a tendency to get their degree and run.

If your intention is to fool the med schools into thinking you're planning on staying when your intentions are to leave, I honestly hope you don't get in. There are American students that deserve to get in before you do.

9. TRUE

TRUE slacker extraordinaire
    7+ Year Member

I tend to agree with bigbassinbob. Medical schools in the US are mainly interested in training doctors to serve the US population. If you indeed plan on taking your degree overseas, don't like any medical schools know about your plan or that's a sure-fire way to get yourself a rejection.

10. Alexander99

7+ Year Member

So you're actually encouraging her to apply anyway but lie in the process? What's wrong with you?

11. TRUE

7+ Year Member

My comment was not meant to encourage her to apply. Sorry if it was taken that way.

Mac: Don't apply. If you want to go back to your country with your MD degree, go back, and get your MD degree there.

12. Alexander99

7+ Year Member

No problems. It's just I agree this board is meant to encourage people but I think encouraging someone like her (when it's blatantly clear she has no desire to contribute to our healthcare system) would be a bit extreme. :thumbup:

13. bigbassinbob

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    That may be (I don't really know), but it doesn't change the fact that she shouldn't be allowed into school here. There are tons of U.S. citizens who deserve a spot in a U.S. school but won't get one because it's already too competitive. We shouldn't be responsible for educating physicians for other nations.

14. TRUE

7+ Year Member

As a foreign student with no green card, I'm not sure that would be the case. I'm sure it's very difficult to get into medical schools in many asian countries, but it's rather difficult to get into a US school as a non-US citizen.

15. Alexander99

7+ Year Member

So are you guys also selfish when it comes to the reason why you're going into medicine (pure $$$) or what?

People like you really give foreigners a bad wrap. Most foreigners I know are pretty cool but Jesus Christ, you two offer no apologies for how damn selfish you're being.

16. TRUE

7+ Year Member

No offense, but paying off your American bills shouldn't be your only concern for graduating from a US med school. You should also think about contributing to the US healthcare system that is training you...

17. Alexander99

7+ Year Member

What'd you do? Pay someone to marry you? I really don't like you.

You might have come over on a plane but if I had my way, I'd send you back on a boat.

18. bigbassinbob

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I sincerely hope you havn't made it into med school yet, and I sincerely hope you never will ( in the U.S. at least).

19. pekq

pekq Gunner
    7+ Year Member

That's what SGM and Ross are for.

I don't recall there being a doctor shortage in Asia so unless everybody there is pre-med, I don't see why med school would be harder to get into in Asia.

20. TRUE

7+ Year Member

If you are so worried about tuition costs here in the states, I reiterate, you should just go back to Taiwan. Is tuition covered there, like it is in much of Europe and other places?

21. Alexander99

7+ Year Member

It doesn't sound like you've assimilated to me man. Only a FOB would admit that their decision to go to med school isn't all about the money (implying the main reason is money.)

22. bigbassinbob

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I have no problem with backgrounds different from my own or foreign people. I do, however, have a problem with people who further contribute to the national debt by getting "money from Americans." It pisses me off even more when these people steal places in american medical colleges just to "get money from Americans."

23. UseUrHeadFred

UseUrHeadFred Oh no! It's a Wumpus!
    5+ Year Member

You're assuming that american schools are making money by training physicians. I don't necessarily believe that's true. I think even private schools lose money on the deal, they're getting assistance from other sources to train physicians.

So let me ask you this: If your interviewer asks you what your plans are after medical school, what do you tell them?

24. bigbassinbob

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    What the hell are you talking about. No private school or public school would choose to accept a foreign student who wants to go back to their country. The only way this would happen is if you tricked the ad coms into thinking you were sincere about wanting to stay here.

25. DMBFan61

DMBFan61 Boomer
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    is mack. a frenchie?

26. Alexander99

7+ Year Member

Real Americans don't take pride in taking away money from our country because they have a sense of loyalty. I can't believe you show blatant disregard for the United States and yet claim to be an American. You might legally be an American but I definately wouldn't consider you an American.

27. bigbassinbob

5+ Year Member

Medical Student

28. Alexander99

7+ Year Member

You're not just a FOB, you're an idiot. Most of the asians I know in the UCs aren't FOBs but are Americans. Real FOBs suck it up on the SAT or MCAT because they have no command of the English language. So no, it's not the case that FOBs are tearing it up on the SATs and taking away spots from Americans in the UCS.

Rather, it's the case that Asian Americans are tearing it up on the SATs and taking their deserved spots. I go to UCSD now and practically everyone here speaks English as their main language, *******.

29. bigbassinbob

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    There are a lot of foreign U.S. citizens in CA, which is why there are a lot of foreigners in school there. This has nothing to do with "choosing" them over Americans. And the vast majority of these people are not going to leave the U.S. after they get their degree.[/QUOTE]

this is what you think. which is what these ppl want you home-grown americans to think....at my chinese speaking church (which has like 100 UCSD undergrad students), TONS of them plan to go back to Taiwan/HK/China....

it's just the REALITY. accept it.
    [/QUOTE]

If this is true, then a trend in foreigners leaving the country after they get their degree will soon show up in CA med schools. When/if that does happen, ad coms will quickly put a halt to the accepting of foreign students, because they don't want to lose any more money.

30. DMBFan61

DMBFan61 Boomer
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    bravo indeed.

31. UseUrHeadFred

UseUrHeadFred Oh no! It's a Wumpus!
    5+ Year Member

Why argue with a troll?

32. pekq

pekq Gunner
    7+ Year Member

If I remembered correctly, MSSM gets less than 20% of their budget from tuition.

33. DMBFan61

DMBFan61 Boomer
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    its people like you who fan the flame of xenophopia and racism in this country

34. Alexander99

7+ Year Member

I saw your stats: 3.46 GPA (3.56 Science) , 31 MCAT

It doesn't sound like you're one of those FOBs that are tearing it up to me. I'm done with this thread. Go back under the bridge (if you even understand that allusion.) :thumbdown:

35. pekq

pekq Gunner
    7+ Year Member

Foreign students in undergrad is good. They pay full tuition and don't qualify for need based scholarships. They tend have lower stats and private schools love 'em.

36. DMBFan61

DMBFan61 Boomer
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: well said :laugh:

37. pekq

pekq Gunner
    7+ Year Member

this is what you think. which is what these ppl want you home-grown americans to think....at my chinese speaking church (which has like 100 UCSD undergrad students), TONS of them plan to go back to Taiwan/HK/China....

it's just the REALITY. accept it.
    [/QUOTE]

Oh they'll be back. They always do. Someone in my lab went back twice before deciding life and opportunities in the USA is far superior.

Wow, ten posts in like the last minute. :eek:

38. Persistence101

Persistence101 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dude, I'm Asian-American and I went to a UC school but I don't associate with FOBs like you who want to use the American system. Shame on you!

39. 10minutes

10minutes M.D.Candidate
    5+ Year Member

I am FOB and I did well in SATs and MCATs. There are a lot of FOBs who are successful here. As a note, I came here only 6 years ago when I was a senior in Korean High School.

And one more thing: People here seem to think that all US med schools want their graduates to work only for Americans. However, during many interviews, they often asked me if I had intention to go back to Korea. I honestly said "maybe" because my parents plan to go back. Twice, I asked, "Is it wrong to study here and serve in other country?" Well, they replied, "It's perfectly fine wherever you go as long as you are dedicated to help others." I got accepted to most of those schools. I'm a permanent resident, but still a Korean citizen.

40. bigbassinbob

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This is where you edited out what you had previously said:
    "that is why many people come to USA to get a MD and go back to their countries ( i thought about going back to Taiwan after getting the MD degree here but it just won't be worth the money...so since I am going to pay ALL THESE MONEY TO a USA school, I rather work here and get my money back from Americans, make sense? )"

I would classify this as wanting to abuse the system.

41. DMBFan61

DMBFan61 Boomer
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i really hope the adcoms see him for who he really is

42. DMBFan61

DMBFan61 Boomer
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    yes for my sake, i hope you're right :D

43. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Wow this thread really got thrown off tilt!

I think the general consensus is that the OP probably shouldnt apply to medical school here as he/she is essentially using the US system to her own benefit without any intention of contributing back to the system. Besides, as a foreign applicant, most schools would require much higher stats than she has, and most of them ask for prepaid tuition and living expenses (200k or so) which sets quite a high barrier for her. I think the current system does a good job of filtering out those that dont intend to practice in the US.

I think you guys took mackaikai's responses the wrong way. Trying to explain the reason someone is doing something isnt the same as supporting what they are doing.

I was once a greencard holder, and I got naturalized in high school. Granted I've been here since I was four years old. Lets not confuse being proud of your heritage (which is what i THINK mack is talking about when he says he's a FOB) with lack of pride in being an american. You can be proud of both.

Anyhow, I think its is the tiny tiny minority that comes and gets a US degree with no intention of practicing here. I hope it stays that way.

44. mackaikai

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    sorry to those ppl I offended. i wasn't trying to cause a controversy intentionally. was trying to explain OP's motive. anyway, I am sorry that I offended a lot of you (including some asian americans who don't like me using the word F** (..it's just like how black ppl use the word that starts with a "N"). Hope all of you become great doctors and for all the right reasons. TO AVOID EVEN MORE ARGUEMENTS, I DELETED ALL MY POSTS :( :( :(

45. b1nge

b1nge Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

i would add NYMC

46. MacEvangelist

Hi
    The reason I want to get into US med school is
    1) I am not a native in my country so I am automatically not even considered for med schools there.

2) I got into med school in Britain but I don't have financial aid from my gov and my parents have not enough funding for me. Borrowing bank is not possible. My siblings are borrowing now and my parents as the co-signer/whatever you call that.

3)I have conditional funding from my gov provided I get into US med school and will work for them for 20 years. They are really pushing students for degrees from US schools.

I was under the impression that foreigners should go back to their home country after graduation. I didn't know we are even allowed to work in US after graduation.

Such a discouraging forum... anyway, I wasn't offended. Life is like that

47. skypilot

skypilot 2K Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Give it a try. The U.S. takes tons of docs trained in other countries at the other countries expense. I think 20% of docs are FMGs.

We can afford to train a few docs for other countries too.

I'd add Albany, Temple, Drexel. I guess you have to find out what schools are gung ho for foreign grads.

A British school sounds great too. Why the heck won't your government fund that? You can always do your residency in the States.

48. Newquagmire

15+ Year Member

Umm, what about all those international health care programs? What about helping people in pandemic areas that we have ignored for decades? What about the celebrity status of Paul Farmer and his Haiti HIV work? On the contrary, I think medical schools hope to have people who are interested in contributing to the global community and not just the American one.

The US health system is notorious for recruiting Filipino nurses and leaving a shortage of qualified RNs there without contributing anything to the Phillipines. How is that any different?

49. bigbassinbob

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    "What about helping people in pandemic areas that we have ignored for decades?"!!!!????? Unbelievable that you could even say this. You're obviously an ungrateful foreigner. The U.S. contributes billions of dollars a year to "international healthcare programs" to send American physicians into pandemic areas to help the poor -- money that could more easily be used to fund the plethora of problems we have in our own country. These physicians don't leave the U.S. with their degree, they are still employed and based here; therefore, they will serve the U.S. in the future at some point. And of course med schools want people interested in helping the global community, but again, this doesn't mean they want them to get a degree here and run away with it.

By the way Paul Farmer doesn't work with HIV in Haiti, it's Tuberculosis.

50. IndyZX

7+ Year Member

some of you people care a little too much.

51. Alexander99

7+ Year Member

The healthcare system in the Philippines is the least of their worries. Poverty, terrorism, crime, education, the list goes on. The fact of the matter is that no one in the Philippines feels the need to improve their country and are eager to leave (for the U.S. or elsewhere). If that's what they want to do, let them.