Please save me from applying to 20 schools!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrThom

Thundercat
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I swore I wouldn't do this. I figured I am smart enough to figure it out of my own. However, my insecurities have snuck up on me and I need some support.....

Please look at the list of schools I am applying to and give me some advice. Here are my stats.

GPA: 3.96
BCPM: 4.00 (My GPAs are from Podunk State University in MO)
MCAT: 33Q (10P,11V,12B)
Residence: IL

Here's The Schools that I submitted with my app (these can't be changed):

Loyola
Northwestern
Rush
SLU
SIU (I am from southern IL)
Ohio State
UMich
UChicago
UIC
Wake Forest
Tulane

Here are the schools I am thinking about adding:
Johns Hopkins
Dartmouth
Drexel
Vanderbilt
NYU
Mount Sinai
MCW
Case Western
URochester

This is 20 schools, but I would like to apply to about 16-17. I am pretty confident in the schools I submitted my app with. Its these other schools where I need the advice. Thanks you guys

Members don't see this ad.

NYU is very expensive and has a somewhat mysterious admissions process. Dartmouth is great, but in the middle of nowhere. Really, Hanover only has like, one traffic light. So I might cross those off for that reason, esp if you want to stay in the midwest as it looks from your other chosen schools?

if you want to apply? go ahead. the worst they can do is reject you.

do you want us to say your stats are in line with those schools? if so, then yes. you're not embarrasing yourself applying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you trying to save money? If so, then try to keep the schools within the geographical area that is a days drive from where you live. I would drop Drexel. Do you want to live in New York City?

When you get a ton of interviews you can turn down interviews and as soon as you get your first acceptance you can turn down all the schools you don't really want to go to.

I started with 20 and then dropped a couple during secondaries. A couple didn't respond so I ended up with a lot less than I started with. Airfare and hotel are the major expenses.

I would drop MCW and Drexel unless you have great desires to go there

I would agree with what has been said. Drop Drexel and MCW. SLU looks like a good safety school with your stats. If you like St. Louis, why don't you apply to Wash U? You will probably have multiple acceptances with some among the top of your list...unless you suck in interviews.

So you want to stay home or close to it. You should consider U of Iowa and Cincy seriously. Iowa is now a contender in both primary care and research. To the best of my knowledge, both of them fit you well either as a first choice or a back up. You get a better buy for medical education there.

In case you?d insist of 17 schools, drop Dartmouth, Drexel, MCW, Rochester and either Mt. Sinai or NYU. I would keep NYU because it?s the only school that talks about the ability to ?come from behind.? Also, I know that the school picked up a couple of applicants that were overlooked by Cali schools. But you deserve to diversify it anyway you wish. Good luck

Hey ridirkulousy, I think that I like your name a lot more now than then when I first saw it. Congrats! :thumbup: :D

you'll probably make it to SIU so why go to OSU - very large class size.
good luck even though you probably don't need it :)

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. If you gots Da' Benjamins....DO IT.

I'd say keep MCW on there, because I hear rave reviews about the school from everyone who goes there.

TheProwler said:
I'd say keep MCW on there, because I hear rave reviews about the school from everyone who goes there.

I believe that the secondary fee at MCW is inexpensive and one can apply on line, conveniently. The application to NYU is done separately/directly to the school. It is not as convenient and probably more expensive. Since it looks like Dr. Thom shouldn't have any problem with instate schools. It is justified to sacrifice the ranking in NYU for MCW's rave reviews.

Hey guys thanks alot....I know the list is a little scattered between the midwest and the northeast...I used to live in the northeast and wouldn't mind heading back there...that's why my list is like that

You've already got a couple of NYC schools on there. I suggest adding Cornell, Columbia and AECOM, especially since you've got strong stats. Knock off Vandy, Drexel, MCW, Case and Hopkins if you're intent on ending up in the Northeast. Best of luck :) .