please share you opinions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dfymarine

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I am a junior majoring in Biochemistry with pretty good GPA so far. Furthermore, I am going to spend this summer studying hard on the MCAT. In addition to that, I have done research at the anethesiology department of my University Hospital as well as some ECs such as the treasurer of a movie club.:D

However, one thing needed to be known is that I have been hard-of-hearing since I was two. Specifically, I have profound hearing loss on my both ears and accordingly I am wearing hearing aids on both ears throughout my life. Indeed, in my opinion the policy at the medical school requires the using of stethoscope? I have talked to certain physicians and my research mentor, and they mentioned the specialities like pathology and radiology that do not really require good communication. I mean, I do not have speaking problem, it is just that I am worried that in medical school, you need to use stethoscope.

BTW, does my disability affect my application? interview as well?

Thank you for reading this and sharing your opinions in advance

D

Members don't see this ad.

All med schools list on their website a standard for students that covers physical disabilities - I think it may be called "technical requirements"...it is standard verbiage that all of them use...have you seen this or read this? I haven't paid any attention to it myself but it may give you some insight (and might provide an email for asking your specific question)...

Best bet is to ask admissions at a medical school near you...ask for an appointment to talk with someone...

Edit: just looked up the one from EVMS at random: http://www.evms.edu/admissions/md-program/tech-standards.html

Good luck.

i dont know how well it will work in your particular situation but there are fancy stethoscopes with electronics inside that amplify the sounds. i know of at least one hard-of-hearing doctor at the hospital at my school who uses one. it will probably cost you a lot of money (read: do not leave it lying around anywhere or it will grow legs....), but it may get you around your problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
every school has a set of "technical standards" normally posted on their website. You should check them out and if you're concerned contact the admissions office.

AECOM graduated a quadrapeligic (sp?), so Im sure hard of hearing shouldnt affect you.

On every med school website they have a list of things you need to be able to do (ie motor skills, etc.). I THINK you should be fine going through medical school, even if you can't fully use a stethoscope. You will probably be confined to certain specialties though (like your mentors mentioned, radiology and pathology are the two biggies).

I think the OP will be fine. As any cardiologist will tell you, you should know what you're going to hear with your stethoscope before you even put it on the patient (or have a very good idea of what the specific possibilities are). The scary thing is that this is true.