Pls help! Deciding b/w Mills, UMiami, UVM, and Bennington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MD to be 1 day

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks in advance for reading and giving insights!
I have to make a decision very soon regarding where I will be in a few months for a postbac program and I have narrowed my options to: Mills, UMiami, Uvermont and Bennington.

I went to college in the bay area which is where my family, boyfriend, friends, work, research etc is. I am having a hard time deciding because Mills will be 2 years and the rest will be 1 year. (I tried getting a year of gen chem 1 and 2 and a semester of calc (calc needed for phyics) in before Mills starts in fall but don't think logistically I can swing calc on top of gen chem 1 and 2). Being far away on the east coast might help with studying and be less distracting and it would be AWESOME to finish in 1 year. But it's a double-edged sword as it'd be nice to have wayyy cheaper housing, fam/bf/friends nearby, research, my job at a doctor's office that I have worked at for the last 5 years that I can pickup as many hours as I need etc.

UVM seems like a good put-together program but if I have absolutely no support system on the east coast, and being from CA, I'd rather have warmer weather (Miami). Bennington is cheapest and have found an SDNer that liked it but not too many other people to comment. Mills has a 75-90% med school acceptance rate (what is with the range??), UVM has 90% over last 10 years, Bennington 90%ish and not sure about Miami.

How does Mills comprehensively rate compared to these other programs? If you had to rate the list, what would you say?

If I do any other program but Mills, it is 1 yr (none of the 1 yr programs link) and I will finish in spring but then my application will be completed late because I'd take the mcat in late summer. Also, I couldn't apply to half of the CA schools b/c I wouldn't have calc and some of them need 1 or 2 more upper division bio classes.

If I went to Mills, I'd keep doing research which is nearby and working at a doctor's office and this would be my class schedule:
summer: gen chem 1&2
fall: ochem 1 and bio 1
spring: ochem 2 and bio 2 with possibly precalc
summer: calc
fall: physics 1 with maybe molecular bio
spring: physics 2 and a mcat review course
early summer: apply early/take mcat
glide year: maybe take genetics and another bio course

Basically, it comes down to that spare year. It's just hard for me to swallow that extra year where I would be essentially stretching out my class schedules while all my peers are working full-time jobs or have already started medical school and I just want to start med school already! Regarding price, Bennington is 25k for the year and all the rest are pretty much the same(higher 40k's-low 50k's). The cost of housing for the year on the east coast would be another 10k or so. It is about 5k for me to live here.

It comes down to...for those that have 2 yr postbac programs, would you have done it differently? I don't have a family to feed and can take out loans if needed but just trying to convince myself that 1 year isn't that long...I graduated college last year and this path is already quite long and 1 year isn't going to make a difference. I keep thinking down the road counting how old I'll be when I'm done with residency and thinking about having kids and these kind of thoughts muddy the water of trying to realize 1 extra year isn't that long and that rather slow and steady wins the race? and that I'd be eligible to apply to all the CA med schools and maybe stick around for med school 🙂:cough:: 😍 UCSF😍:::cough:::.


Mills I guess is my best chance at a CA school...is it worth the extra yr? is time not money? idk. Or should I move away, kick ass during 1 postbac year, come back during the glide year and keep researching, working etc but having applied to med school late and hope to get into a CA school? I hear that applying late worsens your chances but isn’t that what all the other 1 year postbac students are doing? Ahh! Help! thank you if you're still reading 🙂

total sidenote: if i did the 2 year mills program, would it be worth the glide year or better to link to tulane? i guess if I'd be stretching my postbac over 2 years to stay in CA and have a better chance of CA med school, I might as well stay 1 more year and actually try to apply to some of those CA schools, right?
 
Mills is the best of the programs you listed. They actually send quite a few people every year to UCSF, so if that's your goal, I'd go there.
 
I went to Miami for undergrad and took a few science courses while I was there, but wasn't impressed. I know the Miami postbacs just take classes with the undergrads, so I'd be wary. I know nothing about the advising or anything, though, which could make a difference.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have yet to decide as well, I am still waiting on a school in SoCal. If I don't get in, it will have to be Mills! have you made a decision yet MD to be?
 
Thanks for all your insights! Anyone go through a 2 year program that can give their impressions of a longer program? Did you find it hard to study for the subjects that you had taken more than 1 year+ prior?

eatadandelion, i haven't made a decision yet...paid my mills deposit today just in case..I'm thinking I am going there...just can't get my head around 2 yearssss...is your socal school 2 years? what school is it?
 
Thanks for all your insights! Anyone go through a 2 year program that can give their impressions of a longer program? Did you find it hard to study for the subjects that you had taken more than 1 year+ prior?

eatadandelion, i haven't made a decision yet...paid my mills deposit today just in case..I'm thinking I am going there...just can't get my head around 2 yearssss...is your socal school 2 years? what school is it?

I did two years at Scripps, i did one year of prereqs and one year of upper div, it worked out well for me.
 
Thanks for all your insights! Anyone go through a 2 year program that can give their impressions of a longer program? Did you find it hard to study for the subjects that you had taken more than 1 year+ prior?

eatadandelion, i haven't made a decision yet...paid my mills deposit today just in case..I'm thinking I am going there...just can't get my head around 2 yearssss...is your socal school 2 years? what school is it?

I am waiting on USC :/ the program takes about 2 years as well. Hopefully, I will hear back from them soon. I just much rather stay in SoCal than to de-root and move all the way to Oakland right after graduation. If Mills was located in LA, I would go in a heartbeat!

Are the 2 years, the main reason why you're still debating where to go?
 
I am waiting on USC :/ the program takes about 2 years as well. Hopefully, I will hear back from them soon. I just much rather stay in SoCal than to de-root and move all the way to Oakland right after graduation. If Mills was located in LA, I would go in a heartbeat!

Are the 2 years, the main reason why you're still debating where to go?

good luck w/ USC! you said if mills was in LA, you'd go in a heartbeat...why would you pick mills over usc?

and yea, I'm debating because of the 2 years...I'd rather complete it in 1 year and am having a hard time dealing with extending this an extra year so really it woud be 2 years then glide then start med school..but im trying to convince myself that it will go quick!
 
I got into UVM and spoke with Polly. She seems very nice and the school went through extraordinary measures to have be accept their invitation of admission. It seems like they were on top of their game and from the people I have spoke to there now and what I have read, it seems like a great program. Albeit, I have heard one's best shot is to get into UVM med school after. My other turn offs are the small size of Burlington, and thus the small number of opportunities- such as the diversity of patients at their hospital.

UMiami if you read in other threads is talked a bit on. Someone on the boards in going there next year but has taken classes there before I believe. I have heard good things about the professors there, but I have also heard bad thing...like any school. I didn't apply there because I could pull myself to live in Miami, alone.
 
good luck w/ USC! you said if mills was in LA, you'd go in a heartbeat...why would you pick mills over usc?

and yea, I'm debating because of the 2 years...I'd rather complete it in 1 year and am having a hard time dealing with extending this an extra year so really it woud be 2 years then glide then start med school..but im trying to convince myself that it will go quick!

I much rather complete the program in 1 year as well, but i think 2 years isn't so bad...especially since we have no science background (or at least I dont). I wanna be well prepped and ready for med school 🙂

I would pick mills if it was located in LA because their program is more structured/formal, it has linkages with different medical schools and i would be able to skip the glide year whereas USC's program is more informal and there are no linkages but most post baccs end up at Keck and other CA schools from what I've heard... I think mills has a really good program but I don't think I would be happy in Oakland, and I think that's a key factor in succeeding.

BUT I haven't gotten accepted to USC (I have an interview in two weeks) sooo Mills would be my only other option since I want to stay in California haha