PM&R summer electives/rotations for 1-2 yr med students

Started by MedBronc23
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MedBronc23

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
At my residency program we work very closely with the 1st-4th year students teaching their MSK portion of physical exam curriculum. We also have a large strong PM&R interest group with set lectures from various disciplines of PM&R to talk.

These opportunities have spawned a strong interest in PM&R earlier in medical school for the students I mentor and work with. They are able to do a 2-4 week selective with us and be exposed to outpatient and inpatient PM&R.

However, many of them have asked me about opportunities in summer for rotations outside of our system to see what other PM&R opportunities are out there for 1st and 2nd year med students.

I know many places allow away rotations in 3rd and 4th year, but are there any programs out there to get interested students exposed to PMR in a organized manner early on?

The only one I know of is the program through RIC which I have promoted many of our students to apply to. . .

I can't help but think there are other places and opportunities to share with our students on SDN and that I could reference to my home students and those who contact me via AAPMR mentor program

Help?
 
Check out the sticky for summer experiences. Not sure if all are still active, but it's a start! The only reason I had early experience (RIC externship) in PM&R was because of SDN. It's great that you are exposing medical students early on!
 
Check out the sticky for summer experiences. Not sure if all are still active, but it's a start! The only reason I had early experience (RIC externship) in PM&R was because of SDN. It's great that you are exposing medical students early on!

Found the sticky. Very helpful. This one student is mostly looking for a 4 week opportunity. I think most of summer programs are 6-8 weeks including RIC. But if anyone knows of a 4 week summer program I could let them know

Appreciated
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it possible for 1st year medical students to observe/shadow PM&R docs for a week or two at other institutions in cases where the home institution does not have a PM&R program?
 
Is it possible for 1st year medical students to observe/shadow PM&R docs for a week or two at other institutions in cases where the home institution does not have a PM&R program?

Probably--I imagine if you e-mailed the departments or specific attendings they wouldn't mind having you shadow them. I know a couple of my classmates shadowed physicians at RIC as 1st and 2nd years and they weren't even interested in PM&R.
 
It's just a thumbs up to say thank you to RangerBob for answering my question. Sorry if you got offended because it happened to be Michelle Obama's thumb.
 
It's just a thumbs up to say thank you to RangerBob for answering my question. Sorry if you got offended because it happened to be Michelle Obama's thumb.

The only "you're welcome" I could find coming from Obama. I guess it's more of an angry "you're welcome," but it made me laugh, so I figured what the heck.

obama-kicking-down-door.gif
 
There are paid "externship" experiences through RIC and AAP (MSSCE). I know for a fact that Pitt/UPMC will let students do rotations in their PM&R department in the summer between first and second year since we had two rotate through last summer. Just have to contact their department to do so. Anyone can PM me for who to contact if interested.