PM: DO in an MD world

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DermMatch

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
[personal details removed]

Hello DermMatch,

Firstly, let me say that your thread reviewing the dermatology application process is very helpful! Thank you very much for taking the time to write it.

I know you said to PM regarding "special situations," and I'm not really sure if you have any insight into mine. I am currently a[n]... osteopathic student and am trying to decide what the best way to apply to dermatology might be. I've heard it is very very competitive for a DO to make it in MD dermatology. However, I keep running into situations that make me think. Two examples: ... I noticed that the residency there at University of South Florida has a senior resident that is a DO. Additionally, I see that the actual program director at the University of Pittsburgh is a DO.

What I'm asking is this: do you have any advice as to whether I should even attempt to apply allopathically? Or should I just stick to the osteopathic dermatology programs? I have absolutely no issue with the osteopathic programs, other than there are only about 20 programs in the country. While I feel I am competitive, I was just curious if you had any insight.

Members don't see this ad.

I have similar questions as a DO medical student.

I have heard of a few DO students to get accepted into MD derm programs, but is there a general consensus on DO friendly MD programs?

Is it more worthwhile for DO students to stick to osteopathic derm programs?

Thanks!

Rare but does happen, had DO match at the program where i was at. You might wanna look at the derm match list to figure out who and where this person is and send them an email.