PM&R: allopathic vs osteopathic preference

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

WhaleSharky

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

I'm interested in PM&R and was wondering whether residency programs prefer or favor DO applicants vs MD applicants?

I read somewhere that AOA is a somewhat important factor in consideration of candidates.... but i don't know what AOA stands for?!

Thanks
 
I'm interested in PM&R and was wondering whether residency programs prefer or favor DO applicants vs MD applicants?

PM&R is one of the most DO friendly specialties. MD vs. DO doesn't mean a thing when applying to allopathic rehab residencies.

I read somewhere that AOA is a somewhat important factor in consideration of candidates.... but i don't know what AOA stands for?!

AOA = Alpha Omega Alpha = medical school honor society. Every school's criteria are slightly different, but basically you have to be really really smart and take tests well. All residencies prefer smart people.

or

AOA = American Osteopathic Association. The osteopathic equivalent to the AMA (American Medical Association). Being a member of either doesn't factor at all in consideration of your application.
 
Hey guys,

I'm interested in PM&R and was wondering whether residency programs prefer or favor DO applicants vs MD applicants?

I read somewhere that AOA is a somewhat important factor in consideration of candidates.... but i don't know what AOA stands for?!

Thanks

If you don't know what AOA stands for, you are not a medical student, and if you are not a medical student, you probably don't need to be wondering about your future specialty yet.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad