PM&R and International Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Liquidice07

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, I am pre-med and actually currently seeking a PM&R dr to shadow so forgive my ignorance.
Can a PM&R Dr help out in international medicine? I.E. help hold a medical day clinic out in Mexico and be able to contribute a good amount? I feel that the PM&R scope of practice is very specific and outside of practice, one would be limited. Am I correct in that?

Also, what role could PM&R doctor's play in disaster relief?

Thanks.
😴
 
Can a PM&R Dr help out in international medicine? I.E. help hold a medical day clinic out in Mexico and be able to contribute a good amount? I feel that the PM&R scope of practice is very specific and outside of practice, one would be limited. Am I correct in that?

PM&R's practice scope – pain and disability – is actually quite broad. Any neuromusculoskeletal injury or condition is fair game.

Also, what role could PM&R doctor's play in disaster relief?

Haiti earthquake:

http://www.tchh.org/documents/Rehabilitating Haiti from Physiatrist September 2010.pdf

Hurricane Katrina:

http://journals.lww.com/ajpmr/Fullt...cine_and_Rehabilitation_Conditions_in.11.aspx