PM&R for those with military service after medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trajan

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just had an epiphany. I'll spare you all of the details, but, in short, I'm convinced that PM&R is the place for me.

Here's what makes my situation somewhat unusual: I'm a third year student at an average allopathic school planning active duty service in the Navy following graduation in '07. The Navy operates somewhat differently than the civilian world, in that we do an internship and then do one to four years as general medical officers, flight surgeons, or undersea medical officers directly supporting the fleet and Marine Corps. After four years of this service, which I honestly am looking forward to, I would be free to begin a civilian residency. The Navy doesn't offer a PM&R residency, and though I could theoretically do it at the Army's one program, I don't desire a career in the military. As the Army's program is extremely competitive, they are unlikely to take an applicant looking to serve a few years and leave the service.

Thus my question concerns a roundabout path to a civilian PM&R residency. If I completed a transitional year in the Navy, served four years as a flight surgeon or undersea medical officer (which will undoubtedly involve deployments abroad), and then applied to PM&R, would programs look favorably on these experiences? Would the time out of medical school be a liability? Would I have to repeat internship?

I think that my personality is very well suited for the field. Further, I love the musculoskeletal system, have a passion for politics, the arts, and creative writing (have been working on a novel for the last few years). My preclinical grades were passing but undistinguished, a 200 on Step 1, and third year is going well so far. Not to mention the PM&R epiphany.

Many thanks in advance for any honest advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Your upcoming military experience sounds exciting. I cannot imagine any PD looking at it as anything but a huge plus to your application. The other stuff still factors in though: try to high pass/honor (or whatever your school has) your rotations, do well on Step 2, maybe do some research in PMR...that kind of stuff. I can't imagine you'd have to repeat an internship.....but I don't know for sure; isn't there a military forum?

Riddle me this: How will you manage the interviews? Will the sub take you? PMR is an advanced match so, to start your residency the year you graduate from the Navy, you'd have to interview 18-22 months before said graduation. I guess this isn't much different form service doc's interviewing for civilian residencies 6-8 months before they're done....I'm just curious how they work it since you're potentially so far away.

Good luck with everything, it's a great field.

Trajan said:
Just had an epiphany. I'll spare you all of the details, but, in short, I'm convinced that PM&R is the place for me.

Here's what makes my situation somewhat unusual: I'm a third year student at an average allopathic school planning active duty service in the Navy following graduation in '07. The Navy operates somewhat differently than the civilian world, in that we do an internship and then do one to four years as general medical officers, flight surgeons, or undersea medical officers directly supporting the fleet and Marine Corps. After four years of this service, which I honestly am looking forward to, I would be free to begin a civilian residency. The Navy doesn't offer a PM&R residency, and though I could theoretically do it at the Army's one program, I don't desire a career in the military. As the Army's program is extremely competitive, they are unlikely to take an applicant looking to serve a few years and leave the service.

Thus my question concerns a roundabout path to a civilian PM&R residency. If I completed a transitional year in the Navy, served four years as a flight surgeon or undersea medical officer (which will undoubtedly involve deployments abroad), and then applied to PM&R, would programs look favorably on these experiences? Would the time out of medical school be a liability? Would I have to repeat internship?

I think that my personality is very well suited for the field. Further, I love the musculoskeletal system, have a passion for politics, the arts, and creative writing (have been working on a novel for the last few years). My preclinical grades were passing but undistinguished, a 200 on Step 1, and third year is going well so far. Not to mention the PM&R epiphany.

Many thanks in advance for any honest advice.