PM&R residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allendo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question that may have been discussed on another post but, are there PM&R residencies or do you have to go through internal med and them PM&R?

Members don't see this ad.

allendo said:
I have a question that may have been discussed on another post but, are there PM&R residencies or do you have to go through internal med and them PM&R?

PM&R is its own specialty. Generally, it's an advanced PGY2 position however, there are some programs that offer a 4 year, all inclusive curriculum where you spend your first year doing general internship then years 2-4 doing PM&R. A good place to learn more about PM&R is at www.aapmr.org there is a great discussion under "What is a physiatrist" also, if you are very interested in the specialty I would become a member of the association and you will get the journals and be able to begin reading up on the various research topics in PM&R. Also, if you haven't explored scutwork fully--there are tons of opinions written about the various PM&R residency programs as well as links to the program's websites. You could check out www.ama-assn.org and look at the Frieda online link, will give you a listing of all PM&R programs. You can search by specialty, location etc.

Good luck.