PM&R Subspecialization

Started by drusso
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Dr Russo,

Is there any way you could post a link where we could review the article? I read it a few weeks ago but don't completely remember all the main points.

One thing I do remember is that it was recommended in 2002 by the AAPMR president at the time to create sub-specialty certification in sports medicine. So, it looks like that has been on hold for 4 years now.

Any specific reason why?

Is it believed that there are not enough Physiatric Sports Medicine specialists to make this worthwhile?
 
drusso said:
Did anyone read the article on subspecialization in "The Physiatrist" newletter? Any thoughts?

I thought it was good that they brought in multiple perspectives from 3 practioners.

My sense is that medicine as a whole is trending toward too much specialization, and overall this is probably not a good trend. But given that the rest of medicine is specializing, it is in the best interest of PM+R to make sure they are included in any multi-discipline specialties to they we do not lose access to patients that are within our spheres of service.

Pain is the one that comes up most frequently. I don't think the specialty should exist, because the practitioners are too heterogeneous and do not truly represent a common skill set. That said, if the specialty is going to exist, I want to make sure that PM+R is included in the accredidation process.

Similarly, I am not happy about the new neuromuscular board. Very few PM+R docs are truly going to have the broad skill set implied by a neuromuscular board, but its very existance does to some extent diminish the significance of the AANEM certification.

What are others thoughts?