PM request: Applying to derm as an IM resident

Started by DermMatch
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DermMatch

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
"I'm a PGY2 now and just did derm rotation and loved it. So now I've decided that finally I found my passion and withdrew from an IM fellowship match to pursue derm as a career. I do not have derm research, just an MPH, and a [prestigious national] grant with [other big-time bonus prizes in an IM specialty with close derm-related ties]. Should I pursue a 1 year research fellowship in derm and apply this coming fall for 2012? Can I join Derm [in 2010] if I apply this fall?"

Edited to anonymize specific information and to cut to the chase.

Welcome comments.
 
"I'm a PGY2 now and just did derm rotation and loved it. So now I've decided that finally I found my passion and withdrew from an IM fellowship match to pursue derm as a career. I do not have derm research, just an MPH, and a [prestigious national] grant with [other big-time bonus prizes in an IM specialty with close derm-related ties]. Should I pursue a 1 year research fellowship in derm and apply this coming fall for 2012? Can I join Derm [in 2010] if I apply this fall?"

Edited to anonymize specific information and to cut to the chase.

Welcome comments.

You may have already seen this:

http://www.derminterest.org/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=298

Similar: http://www.derminterest.org/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=253
 
I can tell you about the 2 people I've know about who where pgy2 IM and got into derm. One left his IM res before pgy3 and did a research fellowship with a famous psoriasis guy in the bay area and matched into a big program in the mid west that has taken fellows in the past. Another left IM pgy2 when a new program opened up and had a slot available for first year derm res. The post from DIGA might be more helpful.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There was another thread about career changes a little further below I'll just cut n past my response from that thread here as well:

I can tell you about the people I've encountered. At my program a few attendings or residents have completed IM or peds. They seemed to have completed their training at the same institution so the department already knew them. My program is a larger program so funding is not that much of an issue. When I applied there was this pgy3 ent resident I meet at a few interviews, they told me they where getting interviews at larger more research orientated programs.

You might want to ask faculty about this at DIGA: http://www.derminterest.org/phpbb3/v...68fe3bf8e943d8

Here are some old thread from the dermboard about people switching:

http://dermatology.yuku.com/topic/54...rmatology.html

http://dermatology.yuku.com/reply/29...ml#reply-29763

You can use the search function on dermboard and maybe can find some more threads if you dig deeper. I just searched for a few. It does appear that when people switch into derm some time spent doing derm research might be in order if you already don't have connections to a program or in derm. Hope that helps.