PM request: "Family friendly" programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DermMatch

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
"... was wondering which derm programs are considered 'family friendly' or amenable to residents with families or female residents having children during residency, etc.? Any programs particularly hospitable or malignant? Any programs with pregnant female residents currently?

I'm most interested in the "top" programs - Penn, Harvard, NYU, UCSF, etc. [list of top 20-programs] if anyone knows this information."

Thoughts?

[My edits are in brackets.]

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't apply much in the northeast or to UCSF, Stanford so I can't comment on those, but I thought most of the mid-west programs were very friendly, even encouraging of starting families. Especially, Mayo & Wash U, being bigger programs, a lot of the residents had had babies during their training.

Kansas City, Loyola, Cincinatti, Iowa, Minnesota, all very supportive of families. The only ones where I felt having a child would be somewhat discouraged was at programs with only two residents a year.

I think any of the larger programs would be more ok with you being preggers.