PM request: Summer research topic if not yet set on derm

Started by DermMatch
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DermMatch

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A PM:

"I am interested in Derm, at least somewhat, but I am also interested in other fields...both IM and Ortho (wide range I know)....

"Well, anyways, I've heard how important research is. What kind of project would you recommend doing summer between M1 and M2 if you aren't really set on one specialty. Would it be wise to pursue research related to dermatology considering its the most competitive (although Ortho seems to be very competitive as well) or would it be better to research something more general such as cancer or diabetes?"

Thoughts from the gallery?
 
A PM:

"I am interested in Derm, at least somewhat, but I am also interested in other fields...both IM and Ortho (wide range I know)....

"Well, anyways, I've heard how important research is. What kind of project would you recommend doing summer between M1 and M2 if you aren't really set on one specialty. Would it be wise to pursue research related to dermatology considering its the most competitive (although Ortho seems to be very competitive as well) or would it be better to research something more general such as cancer or diabetes?"

Thoughts from the gallery?
I did path research (lung cancer) between M1-2 summer, pretty much covers all bases and can apply to any field, esp derm.
 
In truth, I don't think it matters.

I would pick something you are interested in, can speak intelligently about (during interviews), and that you can spend some time on (things always look better when completed over a longer period of time)

If you get started early, if you are able to carry out this research over a long period of time (hopefully a year?), and if you can speak intelligently/enthusiastically about it, you will be able to impress PDs no matter what field you decide to apply for.