PMR friendly pain fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gecko

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know many of are contemplating pain fellowships following residency, and I know it is tough getting word-of-mouth info on the quality of certain pain programs (either anesthesia or PMR based).

I wanted to start a thread focusing on personal or word-of-mouth experiences of different pain progams...particularly PMR friendly programs (there are too many Anesth programs that don't accept PMR grads).

Here's what I've heard so far:

AN Pain programs:

Texas Tech (where Dr. Raj used to be and has retired 5 yrs ago)...Dr. Racs is PD there, and if you want to be a fellow there, you'd have to complete a year of anesthesia first....bummer. Leland Lou, MD, another big name, has left for UT Southwestern. Still, I figure this program has to rank top 3.

Beth Israel Deaconess, MA: many fellows and pain attgs I've talked to say this is the best in the East. I've heard they now focus completely on interventional procedures, and in-pt floor work is now the responsibility of the Anesth residents. I know there's one day a week dedicated to pumps or stimulator implants (where each fellow would do up to 3 in that single day). All fellows seem happy, and finish with offers of being Directors.

BWH, MA: Also a great program, and part of the Harvard affiliation. I heard the fellows work extremely hard, but come out extremely prepared. This program I heard is less PMR friendly (compared with BID or MGH).

MGH, MA: Another great program, but don't really have any other specifics.

UCLA: A great program I've heard, but very tough to get into as they take their own first, and have preference to Anesth over PMR. I know of someone that did a one month rotation there, and said it wasn't worth rotating there because the chances were so slim.

Hosp for Special Surg, NY: Very strong program, but haven't taken a PMR resident in the last few years. I heard there was one a couple of years ago, but he transfered from their chronic pain fellowship.

UT Southwestern: Has to be good now that Leland Lou is there. Don't know much else, but highly regarded.

PMR Pain Programs

Spaulding/Harvard: Rotate and have lectures that overlap with the pain fellows in MGH, Boston Children's, but still a very disorganized program with many inpatient months. Only 1 fellow so far, so can be pretty lonely, and lots of responsibility for inpatient pain management. The biggest draw is the Harvard name, and is thus still getting lots of applicants.

I'm sure not everything I've written is accurate, but it's what I've heard from people, and from making phone calls to certain programs. Take it with a grain of salt.

But if anyone has stuff they can add, please continue this thread!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Members don't see this ad.