PMR interest group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aesculapius

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm trying to get some activity ideas for the PM&R interest group at my school, particularly ideas that are more "active" (rather than just presenting cases). Does anyone have any suggestions as to what would best demonstrate compelling aspects of the field?

Members don't see this ad.

Some ideas that I've seen get positive feedback:

-MSK and Neuro physical exam workshops with residents/attendings

-info sessions about the various areas of the field

-Q and A w/ 4th years/residents about becoming a competative candidate, setting up electives, the match process, etc

-prosthetic, orthotic, wheelchair demo's

-setting up shadowing time w/ sports med docs who cover games

hope that helps

Last edited:
Others to add to Taus's list that I thought of/did/new Pres did of for my interest group:

-popcorn and other snacks for a showing of "Murderball"

-getting a local residency program director to come in and talk to students

-volunteering at events for a local disability foundation

I had Chick-Fil-A at a "meet the matches" lunchtime talk last year. The food was a good draw, and they also happened to learn something about PM&R. I should Copyright that one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Find out who the medical director is for the various 5k/marathons ran in your area and ask to volunteer-this is really fun. Also, perhaps there are docs at your school that do physicals for thr high schools/colleges in your area, and ask to volunteer doing those.

MSKalltheway reminded me of the "key" to having people come to your meetings:

Good Food!
(aka not pizza every time)

Have a speaker that embodies the new age of PM&R, i.e. sports medicine or interventional pain. The only things people hear about from uninformed residents and attendings is that it's all inpatient. When people start hearing about treating athletes and doing interventions, rather than thinking we're all glorified physical therapists, they can explore the rest of the PM&R world on their own (via your interest group!).

Thanks for all the responses.

We actually have thought about doing a showing of Murderball, and are probably going to do it.

To Taus: is there anything in particular that would make for a good workshop of MSK/neuro exam?

Hello,

I am currently a resident in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PM&R.) I am interested on spreading awareness and attracting medical students who might be interested in my field.

I would like to know if there currently is a PM&R interest group at your school.
If so, please identify what program you are from.
If not, do you think there is an interest for one?

Feel free to PM me...

Schools I know/heard that have interest clubs include:
-Baylor
-University of Iowa
-Western University
-New York College of Osteopathic Medicine
-University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine
-UMDNJ-SOM
-Arizona college of Osteopathic Medicine

I'd really appreciate your input.

Thanks again...

fozzy40

Hello,

I am currently a resident in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PM&R.) I am interested on spreading awareness and attracting medical students who might be interested in my field.

I would like to know if there currently is a PM&R interest group at your school.
If so, please identify what program you are from.
If not, do you think there is an interest for one?

Feel free to PM me...

Schools I know/heard that have interest clubs include:
-Baylor
-University of Iowa
-Western University
-New York College of Osteopathic Medicine
-University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine
-UMDNJ-SOM
-Arizona college of Osteopathic Medicine

I'd really appreciate your input.

Thanks again...

fozzy40

Nova Southeastern University - College of Osteopathic Medicine

Nova Southeastern University - College of Osteopathic Medicine

Would you mind PMing me any contact information for the current or incoming officers? If you don't feel comfortable giving their information, please pass on my e-mail address to them: [email protected]

Thanks again for your help.

fozzy40

BUMP

PM&R clubs make sure to e-mail me:)

hey there Fozzy,
I had been considering initiating a PM&R interest group at Penn State (as there currently is no such group). We are in the process of creating a new PM&R rehab hospital and it should field a residency program by the time I graduate (2013). I am considering starting an interest group but am not sure if there is sufficient interest from my class to make it worthwhile...

hey there Fozzy,
I had been considering initiating a PM&R interest group at Penn State (as there currently is no such group). We are in the process of creating a new PM&R rehab hospital and it should field a residency program by the time I graduate (2013). I am considering starting an interest group but am not sure if there is sufficient interest from my class to make it worthwhile...

start the IG, find people who are interested, create events/activities and interest will grow.

If they are creating a new rehab hospital, you won't have difficulty finding attendings to advise your IG.

Sim labs are a good activity to learn injections casting and so on.
most schools have nice sim labs these days.

Oreos has it right, just create the group and the interest will follow. Be willing to talk to everyone about it, have good ideas, and get a physiatrist to be an advisor to your group. Interest in the field went way up in my school after our interest group was established.