Pneumonia MCC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrTacoElf

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most common cause of pneumonia (typical) in adults. World says Strep Pneumoniae (learned this in class also). Page 177 of FA 2010 says Mycoplasma, chlamydia penumonia and THEN strep pneumoniae in ages 18-40. Is there something I'm missing?

Also while we are on it there is a meningitis discrepancy. World says MCC is Strep Pneumonia (learned this in class also). Page 178 pg 178 of FA 2010 says Nisseria menigitidis, enteroviruses and THEN strep pneumoniae in ages 6-60

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
i dont think FA listed them in order per say, it just says "common causes" not necessarily most common to less common

Most common cause of pneumonia (typical) in adults. World says Strep Pneumoniae (learned this in class also). Page 177 of FA 2010 says Mycoplasma, chlamydia penumonia and THEN strep pneumoniae in ages 18-40. Is there something I'm missing?
I think you are missing something

Pg. 177 - most pneumonias in 18-40 year old are "walking pneumonia" or atypical pneumonia hence why mycoplasma is the highest.

Pg. 512 of 2010 FA.
Lobar - Pneumococcus (S. Pneumoniae) most frequently, Klebsiella

Bronchopneumonia - S. aureus, H. flu, Kleb, S. pyogenes

Interstitial (atypical) pneumonia - Viruses, Mycoplasma (MC), Legionella, Chlamydia

Last edited:
Also while we are on it there is a meningitis discrepancy. World says MCC is Strep Pneumonia (learned this in class also). Page 178 pg 178 of FA 2010 says Nisseria menigitidis, enteroviruses and THEN strep pneumoniae in ages 6-60

I've heard several different things for this. I always think of N. meningitidis for college kids. Above 60 and <6 its S. pneumo, unless newborn then its Group B.

Again, I think there are many more cases of pneumoniae in the elderly and young groups so that is why world would list S. pneumoniae as the number 1 cause.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with first aid. The most common cause of pneumonia during the adolescent and early adult ages is definitely Mycoplasma Pneumonia and not strep pneumonia. Same case with meningitis = Meningococcus. As you grow older, Strept Pneumonia takes a heavy toll for both diseases.

I've heard several different things for this. I always think of N. meningitidis for college kids. Above 60 and <6 its S. pneumo, unless newborn then its Group B.

Again, I think there are many more cases of pneumoniae in the elderly and young groups so that is why world would list S. pneumoniae as the number 1 cause.

From the reliable sources I've seen most common meningitis in adults is S. pneumo. Up to 18 is N. meningitidis, but a classic stem with a college kid might point to N. meningitidis.

As far as the pneumonia discrepancy, I don't see one. It say the most common cause of TYPICAL pneumonia is S. pneumo, which is true. The most common cause of pneumonia overall is atypical pneumonia, which is most commonly Mycoplasma.

actually the most common meningitis is aseptic, meaning its the enteroviruses

the most common BACTERIAL meningitis and pneumonia is what rem6775 said above