PNP to MD - Pediatrics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lex03

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I always wanted to become a doctor, but decided to become a PNP because I was afraid I wouldn't get into medical school. Lame, I know. All in all, I still really want to go to medical school, but because I am mostly just interested in pediatrics, people keep telling me not to do it.

Do you guys have any thoughts on this?

Thank you for all your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

I always wanted to become a doctor, but decided to become a PNP because I was afraid I wouldn't get into medical school. Lame, I know. All in all, I still really want to go to medical school, but because I am mostly just interested in pediatrics, people keep telling me not to do it.

Do you guys have any thoughts on this?

Thank you for all your help.

People can't tell the difference between a pediatrician and a PNP? I have great respect for PNP's but it's not the same. You know that which is why you want to go to medical school. The decision to go to medical school isn't really a function of what specialty you think you want to do. There are much more basic issues of time, money, interests, etc that are predominant.

What's your role right now? College student? RN? Nurse Practitioner? A large portion of my answer is going to depend on that.

Members don't see this ad :)
People can't tell the difference between a pediatrician and a PNP? I have great respect for PNP's but it's not the same. You know that which is why you want to go to medical school. The decision to go to medical school isn't really a function of what specialty you think you want to do. There are much more basic issues of time, money, interests, etc that are predominant.

I agree with you. I hate the fact that so many NPs think that they are physicians, or that their training can be equivalent to that of a physician. I do not believe in the DNP, I think it is the biggest bull**** I've ever seen, and I think it is ridiculous that NPs want to be called "Doctor" in the clinical setting. I'm ashamed of my degree. I never wanted to become a nurse. I feel worthless, and I feel like my knowledge and intelligence are always being put into question.

I am being told not to go to medical school by physician friends, most of whom are pediatricians, particularly because I am interested in primary care. The rational side of me is saying that it would be dumb to go to medical school when I could probably do the exact same thing I'd be doing in primary care as a PNP, without having to go through seven more years of school and borrow even more money. The crazy part of me can't imagine myself not doing it. I've always wanted to be a physician, never a nurse. Am I going to regret not going to medical school for the rest of my life? I don't know.

What are you long term career goals? Fellowship? Research? Knowledge? I know a couple people who were NPs and then went to medical school. Neither regretted it, but they said they were unprepared for how difficult the training was. Med school is a long, expensive process, and you'll be doing a lot of basic science at first. The clinical years will have some peds (which you'll likely be at home with), but you'll also rotate through surgery and adult medicine. It's great education, but can be tedious if you've had years of working with just kids. Keep in mind the cost to your personal and family life too if that applies to you. It really does take a toll.

What are you long term career goals? Fellowship? Research? Knowledge? I know a couple people who were NPs and then went to medical school. Neither regretted it, but they said they were unprepared for how difficult the training was. Med school is a long, expensive process, and you'll be doing a lot of basic science at first. The clinical years will have some peds (which you'll likely be at home with), but you'll also rotate through surgery and adult medicine. It's great education, but can be tedious if you've had years of working with just kids. Keep in mind the cost to your personal and family life too if that applies to you. It really does take a toll.

I would either do general pediatrics, adolescent medicine, or neonatology. I do enjoy clinical research. What you mention are exactly my worries. I know that I will have to work with adults, which I hate (I mean, really...)
I have only been out of school for about a year, and I am about to turn 24. I know that I won't get to med school until I'm 25 or 26, and I feel like that makes me old. I'm just scared. I don't want kids at this point, but what if by the time I'm 30 I start to want kids? Would I have kids during residency? I feel like a lot of people do that, but I also feel like that would probably suck.

I would also have to borrow the money to pay for medical school. That would make approximately $200,000 plus $100,000 in nursing school loans. Those are big numbers. Will I be paying for that for the rest of my life?

I feel dumb for thinking of going through all that to be in primary care pediatrics. Is it worth it? I feel like my salary won't change that much, I'll just have a lot more responsibility and less perks. And yet I cannot get the idea out of my head. I'm trying really hard to figure out why I want to go to medical school, why I have the drive to do it, and I could really come up with a million reasons why I shouldn't. I just can't get it out of my head. I can't be happy as a nurse. I never wanted to be a nurse, I don't have the nurse personality, I don't like being so embarrassed of my work. I am ashamed when my colleagues introduce themselves to patients as "Dr. X" but they are DNPs, not physicians, not pediatricians. Is there a role for NPs in medicine? Probably. Should NPs control primary care and replace physicians? I sure as hell hope not.

Sorry for the rambling... These are just my thoughts, and why I'm struggling so much with it.

Between loans, interest, and losing your PNP income for 7 years you're looking at $1million dollar investment into becoming a physician. Even if you entered a higher paying specialty/subspecialty it is unlikely you'll recoup those losses. Then you have the social/personal investments. You can still have a family and a personal life during medical training but you definitely lose out on some of the care-free, fun-loving young professional part of your life that other people enjoy in their twenties.

Whether it's worth it is a personal decision. Plenty of people pursue additional degrees, fellowships, and academic careers despite the financials and personal sacrifices involved. You need to identify what it is specifically that you expect an MD to do for you. If it's just about the title, I don't know that it's worth it.

It seems that it's largely about the title for you? Not a good reason to go to medschool IMHO.
I don't understand what is so shameful about being an NP? I've worked with some excellent NPs as a student and a resident and think they're definitely and integral part of healthcare team and have respect for them. You can do research as an NP. I'd only go MD route if you think it will allow you to do something you can't do as an NP, not because you want to be called 'Doctor'.

Last edited:
You're 23, about to turn 24? That's when I started medical school so it's completely do-able (yes I know you may have to take another year for the application process). But when you're a 3rd year medstudent or resident, you'll still be younger than most of the MD/PhDs in your program and many of the other mestudents who switched careers or took time off for research or international work.

But I wouldn't do general pediatrics... because if you do, after going through all that, you're going to have an aneurysm the next time you hear an NP introduce him or herself as a doctor and do all the same things you're doing. And to me, it would make the most sense to do something that you couldn't have done as an NP and to do something that will make it easier to pay off your loans. It'll also make it easier to do clinic research if you specialize. Neonatology might work.

The other thing to consider is that there are a lot of fields in medicine that deal with kids all day. With an MD, you can go into any of the pediatric surgical fields, psych, pediatric neuro, peds derm, peds anesthesia, etc.. if you have any interest in that.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, because I can't see it from your posts, are you working as a PNP now? If so, how long have you been working? In what setting?

If you're truly doing primary care pediatrics as a PNP now, and hating it, what is it that becoming a physician will change about that? Are you just working in a toxic environment, or is it something else?

If you're not, maybe working for a year or two will help you figure out if this is something you could do, or if you should take on the burden of another 7-10 years of training. You can obviously move towards applying during that time, but if nothing else, it'll give you a good answer when you interview and someone asks why you're changing your career.

I am in pediatrics and I routinely see NPs do scaaaaaaary ****! I am always admitting their mismanaged patients. It has nothing to do with intelligence, I'm am pretty sure most of them are at least as smart as me. It is just that a 2 year degree does NOT replace 11 years of education!!! residency is there for a reason.

That said, if you want respect and general goodwill, be a nurse practitioner. Nurses are so rude and belittling to residents, but respect NPs. NPs basically run a NICU, but won't let senior residents (faaaar more training than them) touch babies. They get all of the respect that docs get without sacrificing their sleep and health and 20's. They also usually work 4 days a week and don't take work or responsibility home. Plus, they make basically equivocal amounts as gen pediatrician.

If you want to get depressed quick, go to med school!

Buuuuuut, if you truly hate the idea of not really knowing and not having real responsibility (like I did) then you'll have to go to med school. Even though I don't see my kids as much as I like and I haven't exercised in months, I would rather be a doctor any day of the week.

There are my confusing and contradictory two cents.