• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

po sedation procedures

smarterchild

15+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2006
  1. Pre-Medical
Hey all,

I was just curious how you all handle oral sedation for the very nervous patients?

what do you typically prescribe and how do you instruct the patients to take it?

do you have patient sign consent form at the time of the office visit or when they come in for the injection?

I’m in an office based setting so can’t really do IV sedation.

thanks!

SommeRiver

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
2+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2018
  1. Attending Physician
Valium 2-5mg

Many ways to do it - If super anxious do 5mg 90 min prior and 5mg 30 min prior.

I'll do two 2mg tabs 60-90 min prior and 2mg 30 min prior.

5mg 30 min prior.

Most common is 5mg 30-45mg prior.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

lonelobo

PAIN DOC
Removed
15+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2005
Southwest
  1. Attending Physician
Hey all,

I was just curious how you all handle oral sedation for the very nervous patients?

what do you typically prescribe and how do you instruct the patients to take it?

do you have patient sign consent form at the time of the office visit or when they come in for the injection?

I’m in an office based setting so can’t really do IV sedation.

thanks!
Why can't you do IV sedation in office ?
Several years ago I did, but then over time transitioned out of using IV sedation for cases.
That being said many still perform in office and it pays well in some cases.

smarterchild

15+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2006
  1. Pre-Medical
Thanks for all the helpful responses!

lonelobo, correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought in order for me to administer sedation, I needed an RN present.Being a small practice, I just have an MA working with me

how do you handle consent signing? Do it at the office visit before the procedure?

thanks!!

lonelobo

PAIN DOC
Removed
15+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2005
Southwest
  1. Attending Physician
Thanks for all the helpful responses!

lonelobo, correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought in order for me to administer sedation, I needed an RN present.Being a small practice, I just have an MA working with me

how do you handle consent signing? Do it at the office visit before the procedure?

thanks!!
May be state dependent, we are allowed to have MA's start IVs here

Consents signed anytime prior to sedation

BobBarker

15+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2005
  1. Attending Physician
@gdub25 can you give more detail on the nitrous question?

I did a lumbar RFA on a lady that wiggled and cried during her mbb with some versed and fentanyl at the hospital. I did the RFA in the office today with 5mg Valium and nitrous and she didn’t move. She said it was much, much better for her.

gdub25

7+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2013
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Setting up nitrous was no big deal. We bought a nitrous/oxygen flometer on a roll cart and hook up E cylinders to it. We bought it from a website called Atlas medical equipment or something like that. They’re easy to find on there and I want to say it cost us about $1500. We bought one to try about a year ago and it worked so well that when we built our new office in a nearby city we went back to the same website and bought another used one for that location. We just give the patient a facemask like we use in Anesthesia and have them hold it to their face while they’re getting the procedure, they can take it off if they feel like they’re getting too much. There were no regulations regarding the use of this, would have been different if we wanted to plumb everything in the walls, but as it is we are just using a roller cart and nothing has to be tested or certified There were no regulations regarding the use of this, would have been different if we wanted to plumb everything in the walls, but as it is we are just using a roller cart and nothing has to be tested or certified. you’d need to call your state department of health to see about stage regulations.

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads

lonelobo

PAIN DOC
Removed
15+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2005
Southwest
  1. Attending Physician
Setting up nitrous was no big deal. We bought a nitrous/oxygen flometer on a roll cart and hook up E cylinders to it. We bought it from a website called Atlas medical equipment or something like that. They’re easy to find on there and I want to say it cost us about $1500. We bought one to try about a year ago and it worked so well that when we built our new office in a nearby city we went back to the same website and bought another used one for that location. We just give the patient a facemask like we use in Anesthesia and have them hold it to their face while they’re getting the procedure, they can take it off if they feel like they’re getting too much. There were no regulations regarding the use of this, would have been different if we wanted to plumb everything in the walls, but as it is we are just using a roller cart and nothing has to be tested or certified There were no regulations regarding the use of this, would have been different if we wanted to plumb everything in the walls, but as it is we are just using a roller cart and nothing has to be tested or certified. you’d need to call your state department of health to see about stage regulations.
No regulations for use of Nitrous oxide?

Doctodd

15+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2005
Miami, FL
Valium has a very long half life, so try to use a short acting benzo. IV is faster and more effective if you can get IV access. I used to use propofol on everyone and could do 30 procedures a day if I didn’t have to talk to anyone. Some states require a second person to supervise sedation, so the physician doing the procedure technically can’t be that person.

Nitrous is awesome. Thx for that info.

Reactions: 1 users

lonelobo

PAIN DOC
Removed
15+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2005
Southwest
  1. Attending Physician
Valium has a very long half life, so try to use a short acting benzo. IV is faster and more effective if you can get IV access. I used to use propofol on everyone and could do 30 procedures a day if I didn’t have to talk to anyone. Some states require a second person to supervise sedation, so the physician doing the procedure technically can’t be that person.

Nitrous is awesome. Thx for that info.
30 a day,...more nonsense

gdub25

7+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2013
  1. Resident [Any Field]
30 a day is not nonsense, have an open mind that maybe there are more efficient ways of doing things and get out in the real world and see for yourself. I’ve said it many times but people are welcome to come see our practice, we are very efficient.

and no, there are no regulations for nitrous oxide in our state. The only thing that was required was that if we have it plumbed into the wall then the plumbing would have to be inspected for any leaks and pressure tested.

SommeRiver

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
2+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2018
  1. Attending Physician
30 on a procedure day isn't nonsense at all. What's the problem with that? I have a problem with clinics that see 40 or 50 in a day...Procedures at 30 in a day may mean one procedure day per week, maybe two per week...Who knows? There are a litany of justifiable reasons to do 30 injxns in a day.

gdub25

7+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2013
  1. Resident [Any Field]
20 trials in a day is doable, technically, but I don’t believe this unless I see some proof. Too many urban legends a out this kind of stuff and it always seems to be only somewhat true. Like some dude supposedly did 15 implants in a day, or there was a guy who did a 13 minute implant skin to skin....oh wait, that last one was actually on video haha. Guess at least some of these myths are true. I do know a doc in San Antonio who did 12 trials in a day, know him personally, it was an end of the year trying to rush for deductibles thing with a little “try to set a record” mixed in.

SommeRiver

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
2+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2018
  1. Attending Physician
I work with around 20 or so orthopedic surgeons and a couple of spine surgeons...Please explain to me how one gets stim volume like that?

Someone has had back surgery and they continue to hurt so you stim them despite the fact it is strictly back pain?

I see AN ABUNDANCE of failed back, but that doesn't mean I should stim them. I guess in an avg half day of clinic I will see several pts with failed back.

Maybe I need to trial like 10 in a day, that way I can tell ppl I did it and they'll think I'm a really cool pain guy.

Truth be told, if I didn't have a seething hatred for NANS speakers and stim reps I probably would do a lot more.

Great Tx for radic and CRPS, not so great for the back.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.