POC Interview Hair Styles

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TH.23

Reaction score
I have my first interview next week and I have no idea what to do with my hair. To begin I am African American and almost a year ago I shaved my head so my hair is relatively short. I typically keep my hair in braids of some sort throughout the year. Do any of you have an input? Usually they are in box braids which I can style in a neat bun, but any other ideas would be helpful. Thanks🙂

Members don't see this ad.

Since no one answered you and I don't know if you still need it - Do whatever makes you feel like you are appropriate. Pharmacy school just isn't selective enough for things like hair style to matter that much, and if it's a problem for the non-POC people you interview with, then it might not really be a school you want to be at.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly I am sad that I didn’t see this question earlier. I echo what was said above, and in my professional life as a pharmacist, I have seen many different ways for women to look professional. If they judge your hairstyle, they may have an issue that is deeper than just your skin tone. I believe your braids or any style you choose that makes you feel put together and professional should be acceptable. I see a lot of natural styles that look great in professional environments (in my opinion). We have a real need in the States for more African American pharmacists and doctors from what I’ve seen in practice, so I do hope you will continue on this journey.

I wore a TWA and was accepted! It was an online interview though.