Pocket Scope Sets??

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by yellowcat322, Nov 18, 2005.

1. yellowcat322

yellowcat322 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hi all,

I did a search on this on SDN but couldn't find anything too helpful. I need to buy a diganostic set and I want to get a Welch Allyn one, but I'm not sure if I should go with the full size (and full price) version or the pocket set. I'm leaning towards the latter, but I've heard that the optics are worse as compared to the regular size. Is this a big difference that's going to frustrate me?

2. Rendar5

15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    big difference compared to the pan-optic ophthalmoscope, but I don't think there's much of a difference compared w/ the 3.5V one. Pan-optic is far better than anything else they have, but it's a waste of money for ur ordinary student, IMO. I can see w/ my pocketscope just fine. besides, u're not going to use it for more than a year and can always borrow a classmates. otoscope's the same, essentially.

Try e-baying a set through a redistributor using a buy-it-now options. I got my pocket set for under $200.

3. dara678

dara678 Hello Kitty Fan
    7+ Year Member

You know, I haven't really had problems looking through them, I've been able to see exactly what I want to see -- even when I tried using my classmates' (the normal ones) I got the same result. It's really convenient for keeping in your pocket while doing the PE. I wanted to save money, so I bought the pocket set. But you know, all exam rooms will have an otoscope and an ophthalmoscope when you need them, so I wouldn't waste money getting an expensive set.

4. Sebastian.

Sebastian. Member
    5+ Year Member

5. DrMom

DrMom Official Mom of SDN
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

I wholeheartedly second this post.

My school strongly encouraged (and I think now requires) us to buy the panoptic. I can use it just fine, but I totally suck at using a standard ophthalmoscope. Of course, all there is in any office/hospital is a standard one and there's no way I'm carrying around the bulky & heavy (and expensive) panoptic in my pocket.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Rendar5

15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You also need to know how to use the standard 3.5V ophtho scope for boards later on. If you learn on a pocketscope, that won't be a problem. If you learn on a pan-optic, it might be a problem. This is second-hand though. I can't confirm myself.

Just don't risk getting a non-welch allyn. I've had friends who tried to go cheaper that route and wound up w/ stuff they couldn't use at all.

7. yellowcat322

yellowcat322 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I ended up getting m pocket set on E-Bay for $170 (which I think is a steal) and it's brand new still in the box! Thanks again for the advice -- you helped me save a ton of dough

8. basupran

basupran ortho, study, cars, lift
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I thought about this for a while. I am hardcore about the quality of my instruments and always look for the best. I was therefore going to get the pan optic, until I thought about it.

I used to work on cars and started with POS tools to learn on. I gradually upgraded to Craftsman and then Snap-on (expensive but pretty much the smoothest mechanisms). After using Snap-on tools, I had a hard time using the lower quality tools. If I learned on the best tools, I would never be able to use the POS tools and would blame shoddy mechanic work on the tools...if only I had my snap ons, this would be easy (or any other excuse). Point being, if you learn on crappy tools, you can later appreciate the advantages the better tools offer. I am going to go with the pocket set for now.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. YouDontKnowJack

YouDontKnowJack I no something you don't
    5+ Year Member

i got my pocketscopes separately for a total of $135 off ebay.

if i don't need it anymore, i can always ebay it back for the price i paid, or more. people pay good money for welch allyn.

keep this in mind if you wanna resell.......
    other brands don't have resale value.