Podiatric Surgeon- Surgeries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arijos0222

"The Opportune Moment"
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found this website...

http://www.footsurgeryatlas.com/procedure-type.htm

For you current doctors out there.... Can Podiatrists perform ALL these surgeries? Or are some of the surgeries on this list overlap with Orthopods? I immensely dislike monotony and I would LOVE the fact that podiatrists can do all of these.... (especially reconstructions)

Members don't see this ad.

I found this website...

For you current doctors out there.... Can Podiatrists perform ALL these surgeries? Or are some of the surgeries on this list overlap with Orthopods? I immensely dislike monotony and I would LOVE the fact that podiatrists can do all of these.... (especially reconstructions)

I posted a link to the same site a few years ago. Amd your answer is yes, podiatric surgeons can perform these surgeries, though it depends on the individual training. Similarly, not all orthopods can perform these procedures.

I posted a link to the same site a few years ago. Amd your answer is yes, podiatric surgeons can perform these surgeries, though it depends on the individual training. Similarly, not all orthopods can perform these procedures.

That is music to my ears, PADPM :D

Would you have to do a fellowship in Reconstruction to perform ALL of the surgeries listed?

And how much variety do you think you see with all these cases? Are you performing, say, 40% bunionectomies a month? Do explain.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Would you have to do a fellowship in Reconstruction to perform ALL of the surgeries listed?

And how much variety do you think you see with all these cases? Are you performing, say, 40% bunionectomies a month? Do explain.
Looking at the procedures listed on the site, a high-quality residency program will give you experience in all of them, with the possible exception of Total Anle Replacements. A fellowship wouldn't be necessary to get exposure to those procedures. In practice, what you actually perform will depend on many factors, including scope of practice. So, if it's not in your scope, you may not be doing supramalleolar osteotomies or even some procedures involving the ankle.

I'll let PADPM and any other attendings comment on the variety of cases they see.

Looking at the procedures listed on the site, a high-quality residency program will give you experience in all of them, with the possible exception of Total Anle Replacements. A fellowship wouldn't be necessary to get exposure to those procedures. In practice, what you actually perform will depend on many factors, including scope of practice. So, if it's not in your scope, you may not be doing supramalleolar osteotomies or even some procedures involving the ankle.

I'll let PADPM and any other attendings comment on the variety of cases they see.

So what would the fellowship be for?

And what if you're an academic podiatric surgeon?

As in any field, there will be some docs who perform the full spectrum of surgical procedures and other docs who don't. Sometiimes it's related to your training, sometimes it's related to your skills, sometimes it's related to your comfort level, sometimes it's related to your geographic area, etc.

The majority of the programs today should train you in the majority of the procedures above. Some will not have experience with all the procedures and some will have experience with additional procedures not listed above. There are differences in residency training, and that is also true in other fields.

A fellowship is not necessarily a "must" to perform these procedures. A fellowship can be used to increase your skill amd knowledge in an area that may have been weak in your training, or it can augment what you've already learned or it can be very sub-specialized such as trauma,,sports medicine or other areas.

What I do in practice has no reflection on what you or other docs do in practice. There are procedures I choose to no longer perform simply because I don't want to at this point in my career. There are procedures I perform more regularly because "like refers like" and I receive a lot of referrals from satisfied patients. I do not perform pediatric reconstructive surgery because my training did not give me exposure to this area, so I believe it's in the patient's best interest to have someone with more experience in this area perform the surgery.

Just one small recommendation. Your last line said "Do explain". In ANY form of communication, it's always appropriate to say "thanks" prior to asking additional information when someone responds, and it's always appropriate to make a request, not a demand. For example, instead of DO explain, "I'd appreciate if you'd explain" or "please explain", somehow sounds better in my opinion. I understand this is the Internet, etc, etc., but it is a good habit for the future.

Reactions: 1 user
As in any field, there will be some docs who perform the full spectrum of surgical procedures and other docs who don't. Sometiimes it's related to your training, sometimes it's related to your skills, sometimes it's related to your comfort level, sometimes it's related to your geographic area, etc.

The majority of the programs today should train you in the majority of the procedures above. Some will not have experience with all the procedures and some will have experience with additional procedures not listed above. There are differences in residency training, and that is also true in other fields.

A fellowship is not necessarily a "must" to perform these procedures. A fellowship can be used to increase your skill amd knowledge in an area that may have been weak in your training, or it can augment what you've already learned or it can be very sub-specialized such as trauma,,sports medicine or other areas.

What I do in practice has no reflection on what you or other docs do in practice. There are procedures I choose to no longer perform simply because I don't want to at this point in my career. There are procedures I perform more regularly because "like refers like" and I receive a lot of referrals from satisfied patients. I do not perform pediatric reconstructive surgery because my training did not give me exposure to this area, so I believe it's in the patient's best interest to have someone with more experience in this area perform the surgery.

Just one small recommendation. Your last line said "Do explain". In ANY form of communication, it's always appropriate to say "thanks" prior to asking additional information when someone responds, and it's always appropriate to make a request, not a demand. For example, instead of DO explain, "I'd appreciate if you'd explain" or "please explain", somehow sounds better in my opinion. I understand this is the Internet, etc, etc., but it is a good habit for the future.

Thank you for the amazing feedback :) And please forgive me for the unintentional "demand".

And how do you think training for Pods & Pod school differ 5-10 years? Where do you see your profession going surgically?

A very good recommendation for all forms of communication.:thumbup:

Our profession has progressed surgically an incredible amount over the past several years. The minimum training for podiatric residents is now 3 years, which provides them with incredible training.

The scope of procedures now being performed is on par with any foot/ankle orthopedist. Once again, this may vary from individual to individual depending on training, comfort levels, etc.

I see our profession gaining and maintaining parity with every other surgeon treating the foot/ankle regarding quality of care. I also see our profession becoming more involved with research and innovative procedures. Years ago, our professional journals were always ignored and were never included as references in orthopedic articles. That has changed dramatically and whether or not they will admit it in public, the orthopedists know we are qualified to treat the foot amd ankle. We are not a threat to them, and I obviously highly respect their skills, but they are now realizing what WE bring to the table.

Now it's up to the new generation to continue to move us forward, by increasing our standards and delivering quality and ethical care. Then our skills will continue to gain more mainstream acceptance.

The majority of orthopedists I know are happy to not touch the foot or ankle

Our profession has progressed surgically an incredible amount over the past several years. The minimum training for podiatric residents is now 3 years, which provides them with incredible training.

The scope of procedures now being performed is on par with any foot/ankle orthopedist. Once again, this may vary from individual to individual depending on training, comfort levels, etc.

I see our profession gaining and maintaining parity with every other surgeon treating the foot/ankle regarding quality of care. I also see our profession becoming more involved with research and innovative procedures. Years ago, our professional journals were always ignored and were never included as references in orthopedic articles. That has changed dramatically and whether or not they will admit it in public, the orthopedists know we are qualified to treat the foot amd ankle. We are not a threat to them, and I obviously highly respect their skills, but they are now realizing what WE bring to the table.

Now it's up to the new generation to continue to move us forward, by increasing our standards and delivering quality and ethical care. Then our skills will continue to gain more mainstream acceptance.

The majority of orthopedists I know are happy to not touch the foot or ankle

What is with all the "Foot and ankle" stigma? It's just another part of the body.. Maybe if Podiatry paid as much as Urology, maybe people would suddenly love feet... :laugh:

Also,

Do you think that Pods and Ortho will still be billed differently in the future?

Since pods are gaining more autonomy, does that mean that the lifestyle will change dramatically? (aka more trauma call, 50+ hour work weeks more common)

If Podiatry does eventually end up getting paid 200K on average, do you think there will be an over-saturation of the career? (Like Law and Pharmacy, considering Pod School isn't nearly as competitive as other Professional Schools)

Thank you in advance.

I think it will be interesting to see how surgery I podiatry plays out... The first class with required 3 year surgical residencies either finishes residency this year or next (I think?). Now that all pods will be completely surgically trained, eventually it is reasonable to expect that no podiatrist will focus solely on surgery because the market won't support it. Twenty years ago, it was probably pretty impressive to graduate a 3 year residency. So being a pod surgeon was "elite" or sought after. Now that everyone "can" do it, it will be interesting to see if all pods incorporate this into their practice or not...

Do you think that Pods and Ortho will still be billed differently in the future?

Since pods are gaining more autonomy, does that mean that the lifestyle will change dramatically? (aka more trauma call, 50+ hour work weeks more common)
Thank you in advance.

1) Where I practice, I receive exactly the same amount as an orthopedic surgeon for the same procedure. I would not practice in any area where a different specialty received more money than my specialty for the same procedure/service.

2) I have no idea what you mean when you refer to a "lifestyle change". Are you implying that current pods have an easy lifestyle and as we get busier it will cause a lifestyle change? If that's the case, you'd better educate yourself and do your homework. I know many, many podiatrists who already work 50+ hour weeks, and I know many orthopedic surgeons who work 30 hour weeks. Podiatry at the PRESENT time is not a part time. It has nothing to do with "autonomy", many practices have always been busy. And what EXACTLY do you mean when you state that pods are GAINING more autonomy???????? I don't and never did require supervision or hand holding. We admit patients and perform surgical procedures without waiting for the approval of anyone else. I have had "autonomy" since the day I graduated. And our practice and many others already take ER call and work long hours.

Please do us all a favor and research your questions prior to firing off additional insulting comments. This isn't a part time profession that is "on it's way" to becoming a great profession. We have autonomy and it's not something that may happen in the future.

Do some homework.

1) Where I practice, I receive exactly the same amount as an orthopedic surgeon for the same procedure. I would not practice in any area where a different specialty received more money than my specialty for the same procedure/service.

2) I have no idea what you mean when you refer to a "lifestyle change". Are you implying that current pods have an easy lifestyle and as we get busier it will cause a lifestyle change? If that's the case, you'd better educate yourself and do your homework. I know many, many podiatrists who already work 50+ hour weeks, and I know many orthopedic surgeons who work 30 hour weeks. Podiatry at the PRESENT time is not a part time. It has nothing to do with "autonomy", many practices have always been busy. And what EXACTLY do you mean when you state that pods are GAINING more autonomy???????? I don't and never did require supervision or hand holding. We admit patients and perform surgical procedures without waiting for the approval of anyone else. I have had "autonomy" since the day I graduated. And our practice and many others already take ER call and work long hours.

Please do us all a favor and research your questions prior to firing off additional insulting comments. This isn't a part time profession that is "on it's way" to becoming a great profession. We have autonomy and it's not something that may happen in the future.

Do some homework.

Again, I did not mean add anything insulting. The podiatrist of whom performed my surgery graduated from a 3 year surgical residency and is in a group practice. I asked him how many hours a week his partners work and he said "around 45-50" and he claimed that this is about the average.

As for autonomy... I'm talking about this:

"For California and other states:

However, please note that a PA may only be supervised by an approved physician and surgeon or doctor of osteopathic medicine. Therefore, while PAs may assist a podiatrist under the conditions specified above, the podiatrist may not supervise PAs, as defined in Physician Assistant Law and Regulations, unless the podiatrist also holds an M.D. or D.O. license and has received supervisory approval."

How a DPM can't supervise a PA's in some states, whereas in other states, they can. Also how some states drastically reduce the podiatrist's scope of practice (AKA New York).

I also shadowed many Pods and they all say how they have to sometimes feel like they have to "prove" themselves to gain hospital clearance, admitting privileges, etc.

Do you think you feel like you've achieved such freedom with Podiatry based solely on the area of which you practice in? Or do you feel your freedom and autonomy, for the most part, is attainable except in states that discriminate against the DPM?

P.S. I apologize if I offended you or anyone else

Again, I did not mean add anything insulting. The podiatrist of whom performed my surgery graduated from a 3 year surgical residency and is in a group practice. I asked him how many hours a week his partners work and he said "around 45-50" and he claimed that this is about the average.

As for autonomy... I'm talking about this:

"For California and other states:

However, please note that a PA may only be supervised by an approved physician and surgeon or doctor of osteopathic medicine. Therefore, while PAs may assist a podiatrist under the conditions specified above, the podiatrist may not supervise PAs, as defined in Physician Assistant Law and Regulations, unless the podiatrist also holds an M.D. or D.O. license and has received supervisory approval."

How a DPM can't supervise a PA's in some states, whereas in other states, they can. Also how some states drastically reduce the podiatrist's scope of practice (AKA New York).

I also shadowed many Pods and they all say how they have to sometimes feel like they have to "prove" themselves to gain hospital clearance, admitting privileges, etc.

Do you think you feel like you've achieved such freedom with Podiatry based solely on the area of which you practice in? Or do you feel your freedom and autonomy, for the most part, is attainable except in states that discriminate against the DPM?

P.S. I apologize if I offended you or anyone else

NY now has the same scope as surrounding states.

I found this website...

This is my new favorite website! Thanks for sharing.

According to my troll health advisor, podiatrist can't do surgeries/ -_-

According to my troll health advisor, podiatrist can't do surgeries/ -_-

Then I guess the ***** should have shadowed me since I did four surgeries this week and one of the other docs in our practice did at least three today.

Then I guess the ***** should have shadowed me since I did four surgeries this week and one of the other docs in our practice did at least three today.

Lol, she's a little senile. But I guess she's mad since I flip-flopped from wanting to be a NP, Medical practioner, to a pod. Boy as soon as I explained that I wanted to be a pod because I could own my own practice, or do a mix bag of work, including surgery, she cut me off. I even told her pods can do replacements as well. I know some are ignorant, but from a women who's husband is THE HEAD OF ORTHO.....
**** like that, makes me want to do the pod route even more.

Last edited: