Podiatrist VS Optometrist income ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hijinxx7

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am from Ontario, just fresh out of the University of Waterloo. Waterloo being the only optometry school in Canada, i have many optometry student friends/advocates. I cannot say the same about podiatry, although I do know a few people studying Chiropody here.

I get mixed opinions on which profession makes more on average in ONTARIO/Canada.

Just looking for opinions here.

Members don't see this ad.

hey, hello there ontario friend - Listen, I'll be very frank with you. The income question is very subjective because i'm sure it varies from one doc to the next as you're comparing 2 fine professions (optometry and podiatry). None of us here have access to Revenue Canada to get you factual information regarding who makes more than the other - but I do understand the reasoning or logic behind your question because obviously you're investing alot of money - If you want answers to this question your best bet is to contact a few ontario podiatrists (not chiropodists) And perhaps a few optometrists and tell them that you're interested in the profession (either one) and would like to know the average income (considering that you're investing ALOT of money).

I posted you a link to the ontario podiatrists association a while ago but there it is again for your reference:

www.opma.ca

Again, like I mentioned before, some of your questions pertain to a specific case - ontario - so your best bet is to go to the sources there and speak with the current DPMs. I do know a few Canadians from my class (some from Ontario as a matter of fact), and I had the chance to meet with the ex-president of the ontario association - so I somewhat understand the problems in the province but I don't have the latest updates of their progress. As far as I know the cap on podiatrists is still in place, and you can currently practice as a chiropodist in that province - is the cap going to be removed? Yes! And they say within the next few years - When exactly? Your guess is as much as mine!

Optometry in the province seems to be more established (since they have an OD school in there) but it also takes a few bumps because of the cut-down of reumbursements from OHIP on the visit - is that slowing them down? Probably not because people in general still rely on optometrists to get their vision checked.

On the other hand, podiatrists - at least the ones practicing there with their DPM scope - do well - at least from the few that I know there (I have family in Ontario as well so I got to know a few). I know one of them has a very advanced practice with 3 offices and a GAIT lab, diagonstic ultrasound techonology, and computerized non-weightbearing casting for orthotics device (costs over $70,000). He also has a sterilized surgical suite in one of his locations and dedicates one day of surgery out of the week - his surgery includes nail and forefoot surgeries (bunionectomies, hammer toes, etc.). And patients pay him cash, insurance, and very little OHIP. But I'm sure not ALL of them are doing as well as he is - so again, it wouldn't hurt if you contact them and ask them directly your questions. I'm sure they'd sympathize with your financial committment (loans, etc.) so ask them without hesitation.

Anyway, this is all the knowledge in my memory bank so I hope this helps - I urge you to contact both the DPMs and OD's in your province and inquire about actual reliable facts rather than opinions. Best of luck with your endeavours.