Point Spread Function, Root Mean Square Wavefront Error and other Goodies

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qwopty99

Optometrist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks

Hopefully some of you folks still in school can help out with this stuff. I remember coming across this in optom school, but I can't for the life of me remember in what course. And I don't have any textbooks with it (I didn't buy many texts to begin with).

Anyhoos - anyone know any decent resources that explain the basics of these things? I'm talking about point-spread functions of defocus blur e.g. what is the PSF of a 3-diopter myope? Or what is the RMS wavefront error of 2.5 D of astigmatism?

I don't really remember covering this stuff in detail, but I do remember coming across it.

Any help? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh dear Lord I'm having nightmares. Make it stop!!!

I'm writing something about refractive surgery that touches on this. It's critical to what I'm trying to say, so I have to find this stuff somewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's what I found in my Geometric and Visual Optics notes:

The Point Spread Function (PSF) is equal to B(as in beta) = d * K when the blur is limited by refractive error (so diffraction and abberrations are small).

d is the diameter of the pupil in meters

K is the absolute value of the refractive error in diopters

B (beta) is also known as the blur circle diameter in radians

I don't see anything about the RMS of the wavefront right now, althought I do remember covering it...

Geom and Visual optics... I'll have to pull those up.

I couldn't for the life of me remember where we covered it. I was thinking maybe a strab course or something - cause the "expert" in this stuff at our school was a BV teacher.

Is there a "chart" of some sort that equates point spread to visual acuity? i.e. "x" amount of spread equals a VA of 20/40 ? Do you know if this type of thing exists?

Do you happen to know how that equation changes for astigmatism? Or is it just spherical equivalent?
(But I can't see the two being equivalent in VA cause the spherical equiv of:

+1.00 DS -2.00 DC
and
+5.00 DS - 10.00 DC

are equal, but they certainly do not result in the same VA.)

But this is very helpful. I need an equation that includes the pupil size, and yours does.

Thanks for your reply. I'll go pull up my notes...

Geom and Visual optics... I'll have to pull those up.

I couldn't for the life of me remember where we covered it. I was thinking maybe a strab course or something - cause the "expert" in this stuff at our school was a BV teacher.

Is there a "chart" of some sort that equates point spread to visual acuity? i.e. "x" amount of spread equals a VA of 20/40 ? Do you know if this type of thing exists?

Do you happen to know how that equation changes for astigmatism? Or is it just spherical equivalent?
(But I can't see the two being equivalent in VA cause the spherical equiv of:

+1.00 DS -2.00 DC
and
+5.00 DS - 10.00 DC

are equal, but they certainly do not result in the same VA.)

But this is very helpful. I need an equation that includes the pupil size, and yours does.

Thanks for your reply. I'll go pull up my notes...

PSF is used a lot in discussing higher order aberrations. I'd also research along those lines. Contact the optics gurus at Indiana, I believe they are know worldwide for their optics expertise. For example, Drs. Thibos and Miller.

Miller actually taught part of our first year Geometric and Visual Optics class. Thibos doesn't teach it, but he researches in Optics and did teach in our Visual Science course.

What is Miller's full name?