Political Canvassing on AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

madame.psychosis

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, fellow non-trads! I'm here on a Friday night, trying to finish up my AMCAS application so I can get it submitted this weekend. I'd love some opinions about whether or how I should address political activism in my application -- I'm really torn. I'm thinking about including my time doing political canvassing, and what I'd like to do is focus on what I learned from the experience (eg talking with people from different backgrounds about sensitive issues, trying to be both persuasive and respectful, etc) and not on the actual candidate (who I think I would leave unnamed) or issues at hand. I'd like to include it because it was a fairly significant time commitment and I do think I got a lot out of the experience, plus as someone who is pretty interested in the social and economic determinants of health (which I talk about elsewhere in my application), I actually believe politics are very important for medicine. But I know that politics -- even when it's left as vague as this -- can be tricky on applications. What do you think?
 
Interesting. You do spin it pretty positively and it's something you spent a lot of time on so it would be nice to include it.

I'd bet anything you'd get asked about it at quite a few interviews and that's probably where it's going to get tricky. Personally I'd be interested in discussing it, but it seems like so many people just get irrational about politics these days.

Really though, an interviewer for a professional school should be able to ask about it without issue. The way you talked about it above makes me feel like you could tactfully/successfully field questions on the topic.

Sorry, not sure that's helpful.
 
If you can manage to keep from evangelizing for any one particular party it might be doable. Overall it's just as risky as getting into religious beliefs, right-to-life, gender politics, race issues and every other hot-button topic. We sure do seem to be touchy about just about eveything anymore. You can get into a relationship killing argument over organic vegetables. Seen it happen (it was like witnessing a real-life Seinfeld episode). Good luck with your app!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, fellow non-trads! I'm here on a Friday night, trying to finish up my AMCAS application so I can get it submitted this weekend. I'd love some opinions about whether or how I should address political activism in my application -- I'm really torn. I'm thinking about including my time doing political canvassing, and what I'd like to do is focus on what I learned from the experience (eg talking with people from different backgrounds about sensitive issues, trying to be both persuasive and respectful, etc) and not on the actual candidate (who I think I would leave unnamed) or issues at hand. I'd like to include it because it was a fairly significant time commitment and I do think I got a lot out of the experience, plus as someone who is pretty interested in the social and economic determinants of health (which I talk about elsewhere in my application), I actually believe politics are very important for medicine. But I know that politics -- even when it's left as vague as this -- can be tricky on applications. What do you think?

I'm in the same boat and if it helps, I asked a similar question a few months ago:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/political-bias-during-application-process.1093762/

I also just posted a new thread that may lead to some more answers regarding your question.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/political-bias-during-application-process-part-2.1142992/
 
Last edited: