Poll: How confident are you that you will be accepted somewhere this round?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How confident are you that you will be accepted somewhere this round?

• 80-100%

Votes: 70 52.2%
  • 60-80%

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • 40-60%

Votes: 16 11.9%
  • 20-40%

Votes: 13 9.7%
  • 0-20%

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • 80-100% but it is going to be DO or Carrib

Votes: 5 3.7%

• Total voters

p30doc

Ever true and unwavering
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious

Members don't see this ad.

pretty cool how the carib/DO is almost guaranteed entry. just curious if anyone has statistics, like total applicants vs matriculants for those two subsets of schools?

pretty cool how the carib/DO is almost guaranteed entry. just curious if anyone has statistics, like total applicants vs matriculants for those two subsets of schools?

That's a poor categorization. I don't know about Caribbean admissions but DO is not a cake walk and definitely not "guaranteed".

Members don't see this ad :)

you do realize that the % of DO applicants accepted is comparable to MD programs. they accept anywhere between 10 and 20% of applicants. there probably is % accpetances below 10 but i don thave the data in fron to fme. if i had to guess i'd say the average is around 12-15%. not sure how that translates into "gauranteed entry."

here are a few schools and their # of applicants and total first year spots.

ATSU/KCOM - 2621 applicants for 175 spots
PCOM - 3825 applciants fo 275 spots
OSU-COM - 1238 applicants for 93 spots
DMU-COM - 2368 applicants for 219 spots.

i konw thats not the number of accepted applicants, but you can estimate how many people schools typically "over accept" to get an idea of what % of applicants are accepted.

back to the original topic...i voted 80-100% b/c I feel I am pretty competitive for the DO schools I applied to (seven of them). As far as the MD schools, I say I have a little over 50% chance of getting accepted somehwere. My MCAT is a lil below average for MD but I have a very strong app otherwise. It doesnt help that I am a Caliofornia resident and i wouldnt be srprised to receive rejections from all the MD schools i applied to, altho i feel i have a pretty legitimate shot at Loyola Stritch and USC.

**** Ryserr, you need to address your avatar; that doc on the cover of Newsweek is a DO not an MD! :smuggrin: Just a little inside joke... :D

**** Ryserr, you need to address your avatar; that doc on the cover of Newsweek is a DO not an MD! :smuggrin: Just a little inside joke... :D

OKAY.... thats it. im gonna make a note in my signature cuz its the 4th time someones told me that in like 3 days. i know that richard jadick is a DO, thats why I put him as my avatar. he went to NYCOM. I did a presentation on osteopathic medicine in my history of medicine class and at the end i talked about the need for osteopathic awareness. i find it funny (or sad/pathetic) that the author of the article said he didn't put Hero DO because he "didnt want to confuse the readers." he couldnt have added two sentences about what a DO was? give me a break.

anyways, thank you for the friendly pointer. i will definitely be putting a * * in my signature cuz i am tired of explaining myself!!

Doubt always lingers in the back of my mind. However, I cannot see myself not getting in this cycle.

I didn't mean to imply that DO was guaranteed, I'd be honored with a DO acceptance. It is a very competitive field for both allo and osteo. I just wanted to throw something on there like MD acceptance isn't likely to happen but I think I will get in somewhere else. I was too lazy to come up with all the possible permutations.

Doubt always lingers in the back of my mind. However, I cannot see myself not getting in this cycle.

i always have doubt. the process is so unpredictable, i feel like no one can ever be that sure :(

i always have doubt. the process is so unpredictable, i feel like no one can ever be that sure :(

That is definitely true. Especially considering all of the uber-competitive schools you are applying to. My list is far more forgiving (5 semi-reaches, 7 where I am extremely competitive). All of the pieces have fallen into place up unto this moment, it seems unlikely that it will all far apart at this point. Lets hope that we're not here again next year wondering what happened, eh?

I feel probably 80%-85% confident I'll get in this year - so I picked "80%-100%". From the feedback I've gotten from my pre-med advisor and some other sources, I should get in at least somewhere (especially applying to 29 schools!)

Members don't see this ad :)
OKAY.... thats it. im gonna make a note in my signature cuz its the 4th time someones told me that in like 3 days. i know that richard jadick is a DO, thats why I put him as my avatar. he went to NYCOM. I did a presentation on osteopathic medicine in my history of medicine class and at the end i talked about the need for osteopathic awareness. i find it funny (or sad/pathetic) that the author of the article said he didn't put Hero DO because he "didnt want to confuse the readers." he couldnt have added two sentences about what a DO was? give me a break.

anyways, thank you for the friendly pointer. i will definitely be putting a * * in my signature cuz i am tired of explaining myself!!

Why didn't he just put "Dr. Hero?" That name sounds like a name one would give to a truly heroic doctor.

There are a lot of extremely confident pre-meds out there!

You guys can all jinx yourselves... I'm not answering this poll.

Wow the SDNers are rather confident...I hope I can vote 80-100% next year.
It'd be curious to see what % of people on SDN get accepted versus the rest of the premeds. Ohh they are so missing out:smuggrin:

Wow the SDNers are rather confident...I hope I can vote 80-100% next year.
It'd be curious to see what % of people on SDN get accepted versus the rest of the premeds. Ohh they are so missing out:smuggrin:
I don't know about the rest of the SDNers, but I feel confident because I've put 3 years worth of effort into making my application look good. I may be paranoid I won't get in somewhere, but I've prepared as well as I can for this application cycle, and will be surprised if my paranoia pans out.

I think last year I would have voted 80-100%. I mean, yes, sometimes people with great numbers and EC's just fall through the cracks somehow, but that's really more of an anomaly than the rule. Most of the people I know who applied on time, to the right range of schools with solid numbers, got in somewhere. Sometimes they didn't get into their first choice schools (even though they had the right stats), but in general, they got in SOMEWHERE. So I wouldn't worry too much about getting in if you have a solid application and applied smartly :) (Assuming you don't do something tremendously asinine, like leave all your interview material and handouts at the school, or start getting inexplicably teary eyed at an interview...like me...d'oh!)

Haha, I think I was actually kind of cocky about it when I first started applying in June, because I was unaware of SDN and my advisors had kept reassuring me that I had a "great application!" and would "definitely get in". Then I found this place, and freaked out, but I was lucky in that I didn't read SDN until almost October, and I got my first acceptance to Pitt in December, so I only had 3 months of "Oh crap! What if..."

Looking back, my answer changed depending on which part of the application cycle I was in. In the beginning with the primary app, I felt less than 50 just going by statistics on acceptance. It decreased when secondaries came around. Let me tell you 23 secondaries is not only brutal on your wallet. It got worse during the awkward silence before interview offers come in. Then it skyrocketed when my interview offers started coming within days/weeks of each other. Afterwards it was a gradual decrease with each waitlist and rejection I got. Until finally I got accepted.

Moral of the story is APPLY EARLY! Similar to Textuality, I got accepted in January. So this rollercoaster ride of mine was relatively short. Last thing you want is to have this experience stretched out over a year.

80-100% "but it is going to be DO or carib"
dude..what the heck is that supposed to mean? i know you probably didn't mean it but wow. way to say it the WRONG way. you're just adding to the :beat: by saying this. why is being sure of getting into MD a totally different thought process than getting into DO? shouldn't it be about getting into any medical school?

We got some confident mo'fos here.

80-100% "but it is going to be DO or carib"
dude..what the heck is that supposed to mean? i know you probably didn't mean it but wow. way to say it the WRONG way. you're just adding to the :beat: by saying this. why is being sure of getting into MD a totally different thought process than getting into DO? shouldn't it be about getting into any medical school?

I know I f'd up.