Poll of current (2024) opioid prescription trend amongst SDN - Pain Medicine members

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

In my standard day-to-day practice of pain management, I fall under the following category.

• Never prescribe narcotics

Votes: 21 32.3%
  • Very Rarely prescribe narcotics (1-3 Rx/day)

Votes: 24 36.9%
  • Prescribe 4-10 scripts a day

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • Prescribe 11-20 scripts a day

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • Prescribe 21-30 scripts a day

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Prescribe 31-40 scripts a day

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Prescribe 41-50 scripts a day

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Prescribe 51-60 scripts a day

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Prescribe > 60 scripts a day

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

IDKwhattodoyet

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious about the average CHRONIC opioid prescription practices of this sub forum. I could not find a similar poll.

If you supervise midlevels and they send prescriptions under your supervision, please include that number in the count.

Edit:
Referring specifically to chronic opioid prescriptions.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No chronic narcotics, which is what I’m assuming you’re asking about. I do prescribe for acute injuries (compression fractures, sometimes disc herniations), acute post-procedure pain, and procedural sedation for in office procedures. None of those are an Rx length more than 2 weeks.

Reactions: 1 user
No chronic narcotics, which is what I’m assuming you’re asking about. I do prescribe for acute injuries (compression fractures, sometimes disc herniations), acute post-procedure pain, and procedural sedation for in office procedures. None of those are an Rx length more than 2 weeks.
Yes, I should have been a little more clear. I am referring to chronic opioid therapy specifically.

Members don't see this ad :)
We don’t do COT for MSK (unless palliative).
We will occasionally see patients who are already on COT and help titrate them down or rotate them to something safer—but always with the understanding that once we’ve made whatever headway we can, pt prescribing goes back to PCP.

A handful of inherited legacy patients on OME<60 or buprenorphine.
Beyond that, most of my patients are 70+, and perhaps 20-25% of those are on prn tramadol or hydrocodone 5 or 7.5, sometimes 30 pills will last them for months

I used to use Tylenol #3 but pharmacies don’t have it in stock recently