Poll to help those considering PMR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unregistered

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

If the PMR residents don't mind, I'd like to know what you guys did to get into your current residency. I know this question has been asked before, but the responses have been fairly non-descript so I was wondering what kind of numbers I needed.

What I was wondering was:

What were your clinical & basic science grades like in terms of ranking within your school?
How did you score on steps 1 or 2?
What was the extent of your PMR research?
What was the extent of your PMR clinical experience? Did you do an audition rotation?

any input would be appreciated, thanks
jim

Members don't see this ad.

just like everyone's been saying, get above 185 on your usmle, and a pass in each of your classes, and you're good to go!

I don't think there are enough residents here on SDN to give you an idea as to what types of number you need to get into a PM&R residency. I received Honors on most of my rotations as a medical student. I didn't take Step 2 prior to the match. From what I've heard, most of the residents in my program did fairly well on the boards. Send me a PM if you want more specific details. There is reportedly a cutoff score for the USMLE at our program which I didn't know about until a SDN member told me. I'll include the link at the bottom of this post. I did do an audition rotation and I did have PM&R research. I think most of the residents in my class had done research during medical school and three of them both rotated and did research at our program.

Like IM, I think you'll find that there is a large range in terms of how competitive it will be to find a spot. Anyway, if you want to get a sense of what one PM&R program looks for, here's a link to our residency program:

http://spauldingrehab.org/body.cfm?id=73

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Stinky Tofu, it looks like that USMLE cutoff is for IMGs applying to the Harvard program based on the FAQ at the bottom of the page. Is this true?

Since I'm not really involved with the resident selection process, I don't really know for sure. I got a PM from a SDN member (AMG)who asked me about our cutoff and I looked at our website (which was recently updated) quickly and noticed there was a mention of a cutoff score. Looking at the website more closely, it does look like it might just be for IMGs. However, if any one has any questions about the program, you should e-mail Melissa DeVito. She's really helpful and replies to e-mails quickly.

I have been involved in resident selection, ranking process and have to say that scores do count but it is certainly not the most important part of your application.

Key point: your application needs to stand out...

You need to show consistent interest to the specialty by way of research, rotations, involvement in PM&R organizations. Being a good ranking student, USMLE scores comes second. Then they look at your application package. Each recommendation letter is scored differently, for example a rec letter from Frontera is scored differently than a rec letter from a physiatrist out in ..... in a private practice. Again a letter from a physiatrist is scored higher than a letter from an internist...
Your personal statement carries a lot of weight, so spend a good amount of time writing a great one and be honest; if you are an IMG, make sure your PS is grammatically correct. A professionally done CV also stands out. Have many people with good grasp on English language read your CV and PS.

Now if the screener likes your application because it stands out, you are against many people in the interview day, so again you need to stand out; so be generous and buy a killer suite/dress. Bake sure you look professional not ready for a night club!!!

Be respectful of the staff, residents, fellows and of course people who interview you, this might be your future.
Be prepared, know the department you are interviewing at, try to know the interest if the people who will be interviewing you ahead of time, DO NOT BS , write your questions down ahead of time and if you do not have questions, for gods sake don't take a brief case with you....
Smile and have a good time, please remember as much as you want that position, they want you. The best match is the ultimate goal , so try to look at it as if you are interviewing them.

Good luck to all of you. I know it is stressful but once it is over, you will have another interview for fellowship, another for job, another for credentialing and ,,,,,,,,,!!!

good luck anyways