POLL: UF or Mayo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

titanium

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got into both schools, and liked both of them while interviewing. I'm a FL resident so tuition is cheap at both. UF stands out in terms of the campus life, the energy, the weather. I don't think many would argue that one is "happier" there overall. Mayo has the reputation and the school itself was very impressive. Location/weather are obvious turn-offs. Right now I'm slanted towards Mayo since it may give me more options come residency time. I'm pretty sure that I'd be happier overall at UF. Given this scenario, of better short-term satisfaction (UF) vs better potential for long-term success, how would you vote?

Members don't see this ad.

I would go to Mayo....it is a very prestigious school....and the price that you will get for tuition there as a FL resident is VERY reasonable. But I'd say def consider where you'll be a happier person....and Florida weather is so wonderful....though if I would weigh out all the pros and cons...Mayo would be my choice.

I would go to Mayo....it is a very prestigious school....and the price that you will get for tuition there as a FL resident is VERY reasonable. But I'd say def consider where you'll be a happier person....and Florida weather is so wonderful....though if I would weigh out all the pros and cons...Mayo would be my choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Furthermore, you can always do a rotation at the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville.

no contest..go to where you'll be happier. if that means UF (a good school academically as well), then go to UF. seriously..you'll probably get the same residency coming from either place. enjoy your life. Seize the Day!

if someone is a med student or undergrad at UF, i'm wondering how integrated the med students are with the rest of the campus? i'm kinda assuming that students generally get involved with campus activities vs possible isolation due to work/study load.

maybe this is odd, but med school is a great accomplishment for all of us, and there's nothing wrong with feeling like "top of the food chain" at a university. i know at my undergrad, med students were held in really high esteem and looked upon for guidance. they could command armies if they wanted (and harems too :) at UF, does this occur at all or am i dreaming?

at mayo, EVERYONE is a doctor or resident so among the small academic community, you are low-man on the totem pole. there are no undergrads or law students or business students or any students whereby you get the diversity that a university setting provides.

hopefully you understand the contrast i've set up, and surely it would be great to be top of the food chain vs low man on the pole...any thoughts?

Who cares if you are on top of the food chain or not? Mayo is regarded as a very prestigous medical school and is reknown *world wide*. Mayo can offer great opportunities for research, academic medicine as well as the prospect of getting accepted to very competitive residencies. I am not familiar at all with Florida schools but I would not base my decision on being on top of the food chain or not. I would go with my gut instinct if yours tells you to go to your state school then do so, but I would not decide my next four years on an arbitrary factor as the perception of other individuals attending the school as to what my status is...

UFCOM is on the south edge of campus and there is zero (as in none) contact with the undergrads except out on the town at night. Med studs have no reason to ever go "up the hill" to campus, and only premeds come down to visit us. As for a harem, UF women seem to be "untouchable" for all but the youngest and suavest med students, and totally unreachable once you are over 25.

bump - please vote

Did you get into UF off the alternate list? When did you interview and when were you accepted?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Doctora Foxy:
•Did you get into UF off the alternate list? When did you interview and when were you accepted?•••••Yup, I got in off the alternate list. I interviewed on Feb 25, then was put on hold, then the official alternate list, and received my acceptance letter on Saturday (dated 5/22 I think). They said I have two weeks to decide. I drove up to Gainesville yesterday to give it another look. I always heard (in Miami) that G-ville sucks but I was pleasantly surprised. Very collegiate, very liveable. Now I have to figure out whether I would be able to live in Rochester, MN. Huge contrast from FL, but Mayo's school itself (facilities, technology, etc) I liked better than UF. It might come down to a coin flip... :rolleyes:

I had a similar decision as you, and I went with Mayo. I'm from Arizona, and I was debating between University of Arizona, Mayo, and a few other schools, but when I came down to it, I really was happy with Mayo in general (I'm not crazy about Rochester or the weather either). I knew for a fact that I would be happy at U of A, but I am taking that chance at better opportunities for research, residencies, and experiences in general. I don't know anything about the Florida schools, but I knew that Mayo had better facilities and research opportunities than U of A. I also really like the small class size at Mayo, and the real sense of community.

In the end, it is really your decision. Don't be swayed by polls or even my experience. I'm taking a chance, and I know that I will be totally out of my element in Minnesota, but so be it. In the end, you will be a doctor at either institution. Good luck.

P.S. Call Jane at the Mayo office as soon as you can to let them know you are still in the process of making a decision. I know that the letter says two weeks, but when I called on May 15 to let them know I needed more time, they only wanted to give me one week from the date I received the letter to make a decision because it is after May 15 and they are trying to get to everyone on the waitlist as soon as they can. (I was also off of the waitlist--I got my letter on May 14th.)

Again, good luck. Maybe I'll see you in August.

thanks for the insight. have u found a place to live?

Not yet. Going sometime in June to scope it out. I have a friend who did the post-bac program there this past year (he's entering into the MD/PhD program this year) and he's offered to help me out a bit. I got the housing packet in the mail last night, and whoa, it's cheap. As low as the $400s for a studio, or around $500 for a one-bedroom. :)

can you tell me which housing packet specifically you are finding these cheap rents? is it the classified ad printout?

i would have PM'd you but you don't have it enabled

thanks

I have no idea how to set up my PM! Oh well, it was a stapled packet of papers that lists apartments that students typically rent in the area. It didn't list amenities or anything like that...pretty bare bones, but it did list prices and how many bedrooms, etc. At the top of the sheet, it says that the prices are good as of December 2001, which is somewhat current. I received another packet a day later with a Rochester "Apartment Directory", which is nothing more than a big advertisement for luxury apartments and townhomes. It didn't give any prices, but I am assuming that the info given in the "Directory" is more for families and people who can afford nicer places than starving medical students. Actually, I got another packet with financial aid info, and it says that when financial aid packages are calculated, more than $740 is alloted for rent per month for each student. Not bad, when most of the listings in the student apartment list were in the $500 range for studio/one bedroom places. Even so, I keep hearing that the market is tight right now, and if you are thinking about finding a place there (assuming you have made your decision) then to do it soon. I also found a good resource on the net that lists a few current listings in the Rochester area, although most of the places, again, were a little upscale. Again, most decent studios/one-bedrooms were in the $500-600 range. The page also has good info on moving costs, etc. <a href="http://www.medhunters.com/MHHomeFair.html." target="_blank">http://www.medhunters.com/MHHomeFair.html.</a> Happy hunting. By the way, have you made a decision yet? It took me a good week of soul searching before I settled on a decision. It's so nice to finally say that I'm going to Mayo, instead of "I don't know yet". It's just a huge relief to make a firm decision. I hope you are there too.

ellerose: you can set up PM by clicking "my profile" and then clicking "update my profile." Then scroll down to the bottom to click the circle that enables private messages :)

do you have nice legs? In yes, then definitely go to Florida.