OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
FrogE7 said:
Given the choice, which of these schools would you choose to attend?
MSU-COM has the best ranking.

CCOM & PCOM along with MSU-COM have the best established clinicals and residencies.

Those 3 would be your best bet.

Other highly ranked schools with well established clinicals and residencies that were not included are OSU-COM & TCOM.

jbone

Herro!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2005
Some freakin corn field in Iowa
Status
Resident [Any Field]
DMU BABY!! :horns:

FrogE7

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2003
the bay
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
OSUdoc08 said:

CCOM & PCOM along with MSU-COM have the best established clinicals and residencies.

Other highly ranked schools with well established clinicals and residencies that were not included are OSU-COM & TCOM.

MSU was okay

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
deleted

Nate

Missing
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2003
NJ > Ohio
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
OSUdoc08 said:

These are opinions not facts, and from a narrow view I must add. There are no "rankings", "best" is an opinion and again, from a narrow view, and "established" means nothing when a residency position can loose its funding or not fill from year to year.

I would agree that a school that has a residency program has an obvious advantage for its students getting into those positions, but that is all.

About the Ads

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
Nate said:
These are opinions not facts, and from a narrow view I must add. There are no "rankings", "best" is an opinion and again, from a narrow view, and "established" means nothing when a residency position can loose its funding or not fill from year to year.

I would agree that a school that has a residency program has an obvious advantage for its students getting into those positions, but that is all.
Um, yeah there are --> US NEWS.

"Established" means these positions don't lose their funding over a number of years. This is something that can be objectively evaluated.

:rolleyes:

Nate

Missing
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2003
NJ > Ohio
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Wow how did I know you would say US news, in fact I almost typed it to avoid having to make another post but yeah well okay so maybe some of those schools have the most students going into primary care according to US news, great.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

nrddct

carlover
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2003
TX
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
OSUdoc, TCOM doesn't have established rotation sites.

http://www.hsc.unt.edu/policies/strategicplan2001_2005.PDF

Weaknesses as state by TCOMs self evaluation/ strategic plan for 2001-2005

-the small cadre of the clinical faculty, with several clinical departments lacking "critical mass" for sustaining the diversity of clinical teaching, researcha nd servive that is demanding of a TX medical school resulint in a unacceptably low faculty to student teaching ratio.
-located in a county that does not have a coordinated regional health care system.
-dependence on numerous decentralized communigy hospitals for clinical training iwth difficulty in controlling the quality of clinical education.
-relatively small medical practice planwith revenues based upon primary care services, making the instutution especially vulnerable to the vicissitudes of rapidly changing health care systems and reimbursement schedules.
-a development/advancement capability that has been slow to raise private, restricted and unrestricted funds with which to augment other fund sources

Nate

Missing
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2003
NJ > Ohio
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Just for clarification before this degrades into a my school is better than your school pissing contest or a bash whatever school didn't let you in of the same, I believe any of those schools can give you a fine medical education or they wouldn't be accredited and people wouldn't attend. My intent was simply to point out that opinions shouldn't be portrayed as fact, especially when they are baseless. And that, in itself, is my opinion :p

Canuck99

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2005
Status
Pre-Medical
TCOM or WVSOM, whichever one I eventually end up at.

About the Ads

docbill

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2004
Status
Medical Student
dumb a$$

did you only list the schools that you applied to? Is this another self centered plot to get your Ranking.

TUCOM - TWICE
LECOM - TWICE

Hoberto

Squirrel Girl
10+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Man, if you are going to have a DO school poll at least include them all or give a rationale for the ones you chose to omit.

I am going with OUCOM since MSU costs so much. Also, I felt a bit more 'included' at OU. I just liked the area and people I met more at OU than at MSU. I'm sure all schools are good schools, though. You get out what you put in.

nerdgrrl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2003
Vallejo, CA
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
docbill said:
dumb a$$

did you only list the schools that you applied to? Is this another self centered plot to get your Ranking.

TUCOM - TWICE
LECOM - TWICE
ahem. there are two TUCOMs and two LECOMs.

FrogE7

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2003
the bay
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
hoberto said:
Man, if you are going to have a DO school poll at least include them all or give a rationale for the ones you chose to omit.

I am going with OUCOM since MSU costs so much. Also, I felt a bit more 'included' at OU. I just liked the area and people I met more at OU than at MSU. I'm sure all schools are good schools, though. You get out what you put in.
Hey, if you guys want an entire poll with every school, go ahead and make one. I was just curious about these schools because they are on my mind. I think I am free to make a poll with whatever schools I want.

I purposely put "other" for people who wanted to show support for another school. I am fine with that.

And this is not a way to show ranking. Again, I just wanted to see how popular some of these schools (that I was curious about) were.

FrogE7

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2003
the bay
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
docbill said:
dumb a$$

TUCOM - TWICE
LECOM - TWICE
:thumbdown:

MikeyLu2010

UT Longhorns Alumni
10+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2005
Houston, TX
Status
Attending Physician
the whole point of this thread..is not to find out which DO school is the best..its to see which DO school is "your first choice".. 2 entirely different things..one implies which school is the best academically/clinically watever which i believe is impossible to rank accurately..and the other implies which school best suits the student the best..

FrogE7

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2003
the bay
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
docbill said:
dumb a$$

TUCOM - TWICE
LECOM - TWICE
I would suggest you look at what schools are out there before you call me a "dumb a$$!"

I do NOT care about ranking. I have never ever posted on this forum about rankings. I only care about schools that might be my "FIT." That is my way of ranking a school.

So please know your info before you jump to insult some one ;)

Tenacious DO

10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
djnels01 said:
DMU hands down...
2nd That...It is hard to say that a school founded in the 1800's is up and coming, but DMU has positioned itself for a bright future.

docbill

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2004
Status
Medical Student
FrogE7 said:
I would suggest you look at what schools are out there before you call me a "dumb a$$!"

I do NOT care about ranking. I have never ever posted on this forum about rankings. I only care about schools that might be my "FIT." That is my way of ranking a school.

So please know your info before you jump to insult some one ;)

You dissed me first by not putting UNECOM. Plus it was early in the morning. That is usually when I am a Dumb A$$. Mainly due to a mutation on Chromosome 6 that makes me like that. My genetisist said not to apologies for this disability.

About the Ads

OnMyWayThere

OMS-III
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2003
The best coast (west coast)
Status
docbill said:
dumb a$$

TUCOM - TWICE
LECOM - TWICE
There is no need to be insulting. And the TUCOM and LECOM listed twice are because they are DIFFERENT campuses.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
nrddct said:
OSUdoc, TCOM doesn't have established rotation sites.

http://www.hsc.unt.edu/policies/strategicplan2001_2005.PDF

Weaknesses as state by TCOMs self evaluation/ strategic plan for 2001-2005

-the small cadre of the clinical faculty, with several clinical departments lacking "critical mass" for sustaining the diversity of clinical teaching, researcha nd servive that is demanding of a TX medical school resulint in a unacceptably low faculty to student teaching ratio.
-located in a county that does not have a coordinated regional health care system.
-dependence on numerous decentralized communigy hospitals for clinical training iwth difficulty in controlling the quality of clinical education.
-relatively small medical practice planwith revenues based upon primary care services, making the instutution especially vulnerable to the vicissitudes of rapidly changing health care systems and reimbursement schedules.
-a development/advancement capability that has been slow to raise private, restricted and unrestricted funds with which to augment other fund sources
You're right. The rankings came out before TCOM's hospital closed. I'm not sure if that makes it less of a school or not. I'd say the massive amount of research they do at their school counts for something. They have residencies at Plaza still, and do rotations in some of the larger hospitals in Ft. Worth, but who knows?

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
Nate said:
Wow how did I know you would say US news, in fact I almost typed it to avoid having to make another post but yeah well okay so maybe some of those schools have the most students going into primary care according to US news, great.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
The only people that complain about the US News rankings are those whose schools are not ranked.

If the rankings were so flawed, then they wouldn't exist.

JJcandy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2005
Status
Pre-Medical
why isn't KCUMB listed? If you are going to rank the DO schools wrt student preferences, it might be interesting to provide a complete list? :p

Canuck99

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2005
Status
Pre-Medical
JJcandy said:
why isn't KCUMB listed? If you are going to rank the DO schools wrt student preferences, it might be interesting to provide a complete list? :p
this has already been discussed and your question has been answered, maybe you should read the previous posts.

Nate

Missing
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2003
NJ > Ohio
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
OSUdoc08 said:
The only people that complain about the US News rankings are those whose schools are not ranked.

If the rankings were so flawed, then they wouldn't exist.
Right, and if you are flawed then you don't exist. Excellent

FrogE7

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2003
the bay
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
The animosity between Nate and OSUdoc08 is rediculous! Why do any of us need tv or books when we have entertainment like this on sdn. ;)

Nate

Missing
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2003
NJ > Ohio
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'll get the popcorn! Who are we watching again?

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
Not sure......I heard it has something to do with Nicole Kidman and Tom Cruise.....

FrogE7

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2003
the bay
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
Tenacious DO said:
2nd That...It is hard to say that a school founded in the 1800's is up and coming, but DMU has positioned itself for a bright future.
I don't understand DMU's popularity. Could you explain why so many people love the school?

I didn't even fill out the secondary despite numerous prompts from the adcom. But I suppose they send those prompts to every one. I am considering filling it out even though the class is probably close to being filled by now.

FrogE7

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2003
the bay
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
OSUdoc08 said:
Not sure......I heard it has something to do with Nicole Kidman and Tom Cruise.....
hehe. So who's the tall blonde with legs up to her ears, in this movie and who's the short, cradle robber? (I actually heard Tom's contract states that no actor is allowed to look him directly into his eyes because he is so insecure). :laugh:

Sorry this is off topic. Back to osteopathic discussions.

About the Ads