Poll: Which type of pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which area of pharmacy will/did you choose

• Retail

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Clinical

Votes: 36 30.8%
  • PHS or other government position

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Home care

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Ambulatory

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Managed care

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Nuclear

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Pharmacuetical Industry

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • Radiopharmacy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Research

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Academia

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other

Votes: 8 6.8%

• Total voters
Yeah, how come I don't see mail order, compounding or long-term care on here?

OP must be an idiot

I don't think I can edit the poll

Members don't see this ad.

Because all the US pharmacy degrees are Pharm.Ds these days and that I will be outcompeted by the American graduates?
It means that it will not make you eligible for those jobs typically held by US PharmDs/ licensed pharmacists and will not, therefore, add much more to your qualifications than any other degree would. Given that you have no relevant experience, your best shot is using your science degree. For other positions you will very likely be outcompeted - by people with PharmDs as well as without, depending on the position. Of course, it will not hurt - but it doesn't add much.

Members don't see this ad :)
clinical not sure what but definitely get done with PGY1

clinical not sure what but definitely get done with PGY1

blaawh, what?

Here is my guess:

I know I want something clinical but am not sure what exactly I want to do yet. Whatever I do I know I want to do at least a PGY1.

I think that deserves an A, how about you? :laugh:

It means that it will not make you eligible for those jobs typically held by US PharmDs/ licensed pharmacists and will not, therefore, add much more to your qualifications than any other degree would. Given that you have no relevant experience, your best shot is using your science degree. For other positions you will very likely be outcompeted - by people with PharmDs as well as without, depending on the position. Of course, it will not hurt - but it doesn't add much.

I clearly see your point. Do you think I have a shot in Canada then? Their pharmacy degree is still Bachelor's level and as you might know, both Canada and Australia belong to the British Commonwealth so my Aussie degree might be better recognized there?

It definitely seems that SDN's sampling of pharm folks is much more of an esoteric bunch than the general population of folks in the field.

It definitely seems that SDN's sampling of pharm folks is much more of an esoteric bunch than the general population of folks in the field.

most definitely. if you gave this survey to ALL pharmacy students you'd easily see 60% that plan on going into retail, and i'm just being conservative here.

A buddy of mine is a nuke pharmacist for the navy, he loves it.

heh i've been really interested in nuclear pharmacy myself after doing 2 rotations in it. it's just hard finding a job doing that where i live. there isn't a lot of turnover in that area of pharmacy. that may just give me more incentive to go in.

I hope to become a nuke pharmacist....only a year until I apply. =/