PONCE & UCC..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScootDoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anybody heard anything from Ponce or UCC? I know neither have secondary applications, but I thought they would have sent a letter or email by now asking for LORs. Should I call them?

QUE VIVA LA ISLA ---> PUERTO RICO!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

ScootDoc said:
Has anybody heard anything from Ponce or UCC? I know neither have secondary applications, but I thought they would have sent a letter or email by now asking for LORs. Should I call them?

QUE VIVA LA ISLA ---> PUERTO RICO!!!!!!!!!!

I would love to go to Puerto Rico!!!! You would still get the island life for the wife, and a great LCME MD degree for me.

HA HA! if med school doesn't work out I should become a poet!

ScootDoc said:
I would love to go to Puerto Rico!!!! You would still get the island life for the wife, and a great LCME MD degree for me.

HA HA! if med school doesn't work out I should become a poet!

I must be the only one applying to PONCE... SWEET!!! I wonder if they hold class with just one student, ha ha!! can you imagine?

By the way.... I called them today. They said tehy are sending out their letters in the next couple of weeks, so we'll just hurry up and wait like usual....

Members don't see this ad :)
UCC will send you forms for your LORs. PSM won't send anything. I think its takes a while. But if I were you, I'd keep calling for updates.

Ponce sends an email explaining their process of admission also don’t forget to send the $100 admission fee :Dbesides all other documentation that is stated on their website. Oh and by the way I haven’t heard anything yet so sit and wait a bit .

ylitia said:
Ponce sends an email explaining their process of admission also don’t forget to send the $100 admission fee :Dbesides all other documentation that is stated on their website. Oh and by the way I haven’t heard anything yet so sit and wait a bit .

I heard you have to be fluent in spanish to go there....is this true?

UVMTrifecta said:
I heard you have to be fluent in spanish to go there....is this true?

they state that you have to be completely bilingual in both spanish and english

Yes...you pretty much have to be fluent...or at least proficient enough to maintain a conversation and understand everything. The official requirements are a little hazy and kind of allow leeway it seems. Every applicant must have 2 college semesters of spanish regardless of whether they are from puerto rico or not...The classes can be taught in either English or Spanish...prof's choice. Although I think for the sake of the USLME a lot of the first two years are english and then the clinicals are much more reliant on spanish.

MossPoh said:
Yes...you pretty much have to be fluent...or at least proficient enough to maintain a conversation and understand everything. The official requirements are a little hazy and kind of allow leeway it seems. Every applicant must have 2 college semesters of spanish regardless of whether they are from puerto rico or not...The classes can be taught in either English or Spanish...prof's choice. Although I think for the sake of the USLME a lot of the first two years are english and then the clinicals are much more reliant on spanish.

Not a bit worried. I spent 2 yrs in Bolivia as a missionary. I rock spanish! or does spanish rock me...I can't remember. ha ha! Anyway, the more fluent you are the better I presume. I would really love PR!

ScootDoc said:
Not a bit worried. I spent 2 yrs in Bolivia as a missionary. I rock spanish! or does spanish rock me...I can't remember. ha ha! Anyway, the more fluent you are the better I presume. I would really love PR!

The application process is much slower in Puerto Rico than in the states. It's going to take a while to hear back from UPR, UCC and Ponce since they accept applications until December 15, and they seem not to rush on it. Meanwhile I recomend you to sit down, visualize yourself in the island, relax and enjoy a pina colada (virgin of course), acclimatize yourself to the island style.

boricua_doc said:
The application process is much slower in Puerto Rico than in the states. It's going to take a while to hear back from UPR, UCC and Ponce since they accept applications until December 15, and they seem not to rush on it. Meanwhile I recomend you to sit down, visualize yourself in the island, relax and enjoy a pina colada (virgin of course), acclimatize yourself to the island style.

YaY! I like the sound of that. Would anyone who attends PONCE or UCC , or who has been accepted share there stats with us in attempt to encourage/discourage us. I have heard that PONCE is extremely competitive for US students. Is that true? I won't use the lame what are my chances line, but I think we would all like to know what we are up against.

Que un elelpahnte grande suelte un pedo en su cama mientras tomo mi pina colada ( tipo virgin por supuesto) Viva PR! :laugh:

boricua_doc said:

That is what i call "island time"....

I received the forms from UCC in mid-September but I just checked my mailbox and found them. They are all in Spanish (I can understand thenm, but I'm not all that confident)! Do you need to be bilingual at UCC as well ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I also am applying to UCC and Ponce. I received the forms from UCC and they were all in Spanish as well. From what I have read on the other forums the classes are mostly taught in Spanish but the books and tests are in English. So you should be bilingual but you will improve your Spanish from living in Puerto Rico.

I received the forms from UCC in mid-September but I just checked my mailbox and found them. They are all in Spanish (I can understand thenm, but I'm not all that confident)! Do you need to be bilingual at UCC as well ?

same here. i've been sitting on mine for about a month! id' like to apply but i'm not all that confident on the spanish, even though i can understand the app :(

Well I also am applying to UCC and Ponce. I received the forms from UCC and they were all in Spanish as well. From what I have read on the other forums the classes are mostly taught in Spanish but the books and tests are in English. So you should be bilingual but you will improve your Spanish from living in Puerto Rico.

I heard that at Ponce the classes were split but all the notes and tests are in English. I was wondering if UCC was the same. Also, if you are in the states, do you know if you can interview here or by telephone ?

I am not completely sure but I think you would have to go to Puerto Rico. I would want to take a look around before I decide to go there. So have you all submitted all the information that UCC and Ponce ask for?

I am not completely sure but I think you would have to go to Puerto Rico. I would want to take a look around before I decide to go there. So have you all submitted all the information that UCC and Ponce ask for?

Not yet. I want more information before I send the $50 application fee.

here is a quote from another thread about Ponce:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scholj
A few questions regarding this school...

1. How difficult is it to get a US residency if you go here?

"Ponce School of Medicine is a fully accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education(LCME). Our graduates can hold residency or practice anywhere within the US through the National Residency Matching Program (NRMP) and Electronic Residency Application System (ERAS)." - taken from PSoM´s website.

http://www.psm.edu/Student_Affairs/A...ssion.htm#faq6

2. How fluent must you be in Spanish? and 3. Are classes taught in Spanish?

To answer both questions:

"Are the classes taught in English or in Spanish?
Either or both languages, depending on the preference of the instructors. Textbooks and exams are in English, however, students must be fully bilingual in English and Spanish. Six credits of college level Spanish are required."- taken from their PSoM´s website.

http://www.psm.edu/Student_Affairs/A...ssion.htm#faq6

4. Is this school accredited by the US? Is it better than a Caribbean school?

For accreditation see question number 1 or LCME's website ( http://www.lcme.org/directry.htm ). If it is better or worse than Caribbean school is a matter of opinion, but the facts are:

Tuition in PSoM is 18,000/year vs. AUC´s $11,000/year or Ross´ 13,000/year
Ponce is LCME accredited, none of the caribbean´s schools is.
Puerto Rico has most US commodities (big shopping malls and US chains) most lower antilles don´t.
Lower Antilles islands get hitted by hurricanes almost every year, Puerto Rico doesn´t.
Puerto Rico is part of the United States the other islands are not.
Puerto Rico has a population of almost 3,500,000 people what translates on plenty of more clinical exposure than in 30,000 to 60,000 people islands.
Criminality in Puerto Rico is higher than the lower antilles islands.

Thanks!

Look under this thread for more information:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=292669&highlight=Ponce

or this one:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=255436&highlight=Ponce[/B]

Hey guys! I too am applying to PONCE. I have heard nothing but good things....well from people who actually have a clue. Anyway, PONCE one of my top schools. Yes, I am a US student, but I speak spanish fluently and spent 2yrs serving a mission in Bolivia. The reason I want to go to PONCE is simple. I want to work in underprvaleged Latin communities. So, why not get a MD degree IN a Latin community. I am really stoked about PONCE. GOOD LUCK GUYS!

Hey guys! I too am applying to PONCE. I have heard nothing but good things....well from people who actually have a clue. Anyway, PONCE one of my top schools. Yes, I am a US student, but I speak spanish fluently and spent 2yrs serving a mission in Bolivia. The reason I want to go to PONCE is simple. I want to work in underprvaleged Latin communities. So, why not get a MD degree IN a Latin community. I am really stoked about PONCE. GOOD LUCK GUYS!

You should apply to Miami as well.

I read in another thread that they don't start doing interviews until mid-November so I am sitting tight and praying for an invite.

Well, I have called and talked to the admissions office today. They did say that they would begin extending interview invites in November. However, they ususally do not extend any interview invites to U.S. students until February or March. Crazy! It kinda stinks because most the schools to which I have been accepted want a seat deposit before then, yet I would prefer to attened PSM. Anyway, looks like Nataly will be preying for quite some time. Sorry for the bad news guys! I guess it will all be worth it if we all get in right? BTW what are your stats guys?

Mine aren't wonderful. In fact, Puerto Rico is probably my only chance. I have a 3.45 total GPA, 3.77 AO, and 3.25 BCPM. I am an honors student at the University of South Florida and I am currently working on my thesis on "Evaluating Spanish Health Materials". I have been working as a research assistant for a Developmental Behavorial pediatrician for over a year. I have also volunteered for six months at the Moffit Cancer Center and I did volunteer to raise money for the hospital I work for. I am also a member of honors organizations and a pre-medical organization. But, I have a terrible mcat of 21O!! Oh yeah, I am Colombian but I was born in the United States and I am fully bilingual. How about you?

>>>

Last edited:
hey nataly133, I went to Ponce and I think that although you have the mcat issue, the rest of your application is pretty darn good. So dont kill your hopes base on the mcat only.

If any of you guys applying to ponce have any questions feel free to PM me.

Scootdoc, excellent EC activities list!!!!

Good luck to everyone!!

Thanks mig26X!! I also forgot to mention that I played for Women's Soccer Team of USF for 2 years and I did undergraduate research in organic chemistry for almost a year. Oops I guess these are important too. It is all on my aplication.

Well Scootdoc, keep me updated on your progress since it seems like we are only a small group of students on sdn that are applying to Ponce. I hope we both get in!!

I did my 2 year missionary thing in Puerto Rico. I loved the island and I would absolutely love to go back there! Ponce is on the south of the island in the desert portion but the beaches are still great. One thing I learned as a missionary in Puerto Rico is everything is setup using an american administration system that does not fuction well in the Latin American culture. We set apointments constantly to visit people and they wouldn't be there when we showed up for the appointments. So we just started dropping in on people when we saw their car in the driveway. In the US people would think you were a stalker but down there, it was completely accepted and normal.

Moral of the story, keep calling. The squeeky wheel gets the grease should be your motto.

Puerto Rico is a great place as long as you can get by waiting an hour for police to come after being called, and never knowing whether water will come out of the faucet when you turn it on. Ah, what I wouldn't do to live in Puerto Rico again.

Thanks mig26X!! I also forgot to mention that I played for Women's Soccer Team of USF for 2 years and I did undergraduate research in organic chemistry for almost a year. Oops I guess these are important too. It is all on my aplication.

Nataly, that's great. I think you might be happy to know we have a lot of people who play soccer here in Ponce, including myself. We play every Wed in the afternoon. Oh and by the way, I went to USF for undergrad also, did volunteer work in Moffitt, the whole deal every USF premed does. Anyways in case of any questions, feel free to send me a PM because I'm not registered to any specific thread. That goes to all of you guys out there applying or coming to Ponce next year. Good luck with everthing. I remember bein in your position last year and I'm surely glad I got out of it alive.

Cheers.

Zepp

(This message has been sponsored by Medalla Light - La cerveza que te mueve) lol