Poor board scores, is Heme/Onc still possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Syndicate

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Incoming resident here. I’m interested in Heme/Onc but my step 1 and 2 scores are in the 220s. I’m an US allopathic grad going to a mid-tier university IM program. I will be trying my best to become a good intern the first year and then plan to get somewhat involved in some clinical research 2nd year. My clinical evaluations have always been superb (honored medicine 3rd year and sub-internships) so I think I can get strong letters. For an average/below-average scores applicant like me, can I get into any heme/onc program? I am not looking to go to top places as research/academics does not interest me. What kind of things should I be doing during residency to increase my chances of getting into a heme/onc fellowship?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

What kind of things should I be doing during residency to increase my chances of getting into a heme/onc fellowship?
For better or worse, scores still matter for fellowship. They (usually) have less value, but they still matter. What's done is done though.

The best things you can do are get started on some research (and not next year...now). Start talking to Hem/Onc attendings, current residents and, assuming there's a fellowship there, current fellows. Find out who gets s*** done and gets residents/fellows abstracts/papers and become their friend. Do a rotation or 2 as early as possible. And crush your clinical evals so you can get GREAT LORs.

For better or worse, scores still matter for fellowship. They (usually) have less value, but they still matter. What's done is done though.

The best things you can do are get started on some research (and not next year...now). Start talking to Hem/Onc attendings, current residents and, assuming there's a fellowship there, current fellows. Find out who gets s*** done and gets residents/fellows abstracts/papers and become their friend. Do a rotation or 2 as early as possible. And crush your clinical evals so you can get GREAT LORs.

Is it better to have a couple of ward months under my belt before I do an oncology elective? That way, I would at least have some knowledge and know how things work before trying to impress on the oncology elective.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I think it would be better to get a little experience under your belt before the wards. Though if you are able to and have time, you can start looking at research options earlier so long as it's not at the expense of taking care of your patients. Being mediocre at IM won't be good for being an oncologist and if a lukewarm LOR results from that, things could be very problematic

Is it better to have a couple of ward months under my belt before I do an oncology elective? That way, I would at least have some knowledge and know how things work before trying to impress on the oncology elective.
Depends on the elective. If it's inpatient onc/BMT, then yes. If it's just outpatient, honestly, nobody will give a f*** about how well you can manage decompensated heart failure or a vented post-code NH gomer.

I applied to the research pathway back in the olden days when my application was due in November of intern year. My intern year schedule was: MICU/Onc Clinic/VA SNF/Wards/Onc Clinic/whocaresmylorswerealreadywritteniseriouslycoastedtherestoftheyear. Matched #1 (which was honestly the 5th or 6th "best" program I interviewed at)...but it worked out well for me.