Poor grades in math

Started by bahmed816
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bahmed816

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ive never been particularly good at math. This past year I fell behind in my business calculus class and was never able to catch up. (business calc is accepted by a lot of the pharm schools im looking at). However prior to this I got a D+ in pre-calc..

At the same time I was working 20-30 hours a week and dealing with family issues. I even missed an exam I was unable to make up and I was unwilling to drop the class because 1.) I had a sense of false hope and thought I'd be able to pull myself out of the hole, and 2.) I was concerned by dropping the class, I would lose my financial aid since that quarter I would be under the minimum credit requirement so I ended up with an F in the class.

Since then I have taken Bio-Stats and gotten a B+ in it...so hopefully that shows I am able to handle math. I had a lot of gaps in my fundamentals and over winter break I have been studying and reviewing some of my mechanics so I don't run into the same problem.

If I am able to do well in retaking the course, and get an A or a high B, would that be enough for admins to overlook my previous math grades or would you think they'd still raise some questions? Any other suggestions?
 
I think you just need to get through it and they won't go back through your math history too much...I did better in higher math than lower math and I think all they seem to look at is the calc grade. Definitely get a tutor this time through--the only way I got through calc I was by taking it online in the summer and working with a private tutor 3x/week for 3 hrs. It was $$ but you have to think of it as an investment..it'll be pennies compared to your PharmD tuition anyway.
 
Since you did great in your biostatistics class (which I assume has a requirement of a lower division calculus class), I personally don't think that you need to retake your D+ in pre-calculus.

I'm sure you know that upper division classes build up from the concepts you've learned in the lower division classes. Based on that, I think you'll be fine.