Poor QR (ahhhh), competitive TS, AA, retake DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentaldime

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Calling all friends,

This newly formatted QR section was a real curveball in my DAT score! Im a Canadian citizen applying to US dental schools and here were my first US DAT results:

PAT 20
RC 21
GC 21
BIO 22
ORGO 24
QR 15
TS 22
AA 21

I left the exam in shambles because I had scored much higher in QR practice tests and this score is LOW!!!

I have a sGPA and oGPA around 3.3-3.4 and was planning on applying next application cycle. Should I retake the DAT because of this low QR :'( !!

Members don't see this ad.

Calling all friends,

This newly formatted QR section was a real curveball in my DAT score! Im a Canadian citizen applying to US dental schools and here were my first US DAT results:

PAT 20
RC 21
GC 21
BIO 22
ORGO 24
QR 15
TS 22
AA 21

I left the exam in shambles because I had scored much higher in QR practice tests and this score is LOW!!!

I have a sGPA and oGPA around 3.3-3.4 and was planning on applying next application cycle. Should I retake the DAT because of this low QR :'( !!
Tricky situation. The 15 may be problematic because a lot of schools have cutoffs at 15 per section. Couple that with the fact that you're a canadian applicant with a lower GPA. That being said, all of your other scores are very good. I suggest doing your do diligence on the school's you want to apply to and email / call them ASAP.

I would not retake. QR is probably the least important section. You did very well on the exam.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Calling all friends,

PAT 20
RC 21
GC 21
BIO 22
ORGO 24
QR 15
TS 22
AA 21

Congratulations! Your scores are fantastic with the exception of QR and with the recent change in the QR perhaps schools will be even more forgiving on that score. I would contact dental schools directly. Love that 24 in Orgo, great job!

Dr. Romano

Reactions: 1 user
Is it just me or is everyone getting terrible QR scores after they changed the format up this year. All of my friends have competitive AA's and low QR's this cycle including myself. Honestly I would apply. I feel like QR this cycle are going to be very low and schools will be more forgiving.

Reactions: 2 users
Is it just me or is everyone getting terrible QR scores after they changed the format up this year. All of my friends have competitive AA's and low QR's this cycle including myself. Honestly I would apply. I feel like QR this cycle are going to be very low and schools will be more forgiving.
I took the DAT on the 11th and got a 28 so no, not everyone. I have been noticing that QR scores are pretty low though. But I feel like it's always one of the lowest sections because people prioritize the sciences and PAT over QR and RC.

Thanks for the advice my friends. Also Orgoman thank you for your DAT destroyer and Math destroyer which were a HUUUGE help.

All should know that I got through Math Destroyer test 14 and was scoring above 20s on all QR practice tests (including ADEA 2007 and 2009).

My advisor suggests me to retake but I am scared that my other scores would drop!

Calling all friends,

PAT 20
RC 21
GC 21
BIO 22
ORGO 24
QR 15
TS 22
AA 21

Since you're applying next cycle, you should map out which schools you want to apply to pretty soon and email them about the QR score for cut off reasons. You have good amount of time to get a sense of where you stand. Personally, I wouldn't retake if I were you but it might be necessary depending on where you want to go.

We have students in our class now who bombed the QR section. You should be fine as long as you're not a zombie grades applicant (aka only focuses on academics with nothing else) but I guess that goes for everyone haha

Reactions: 1 users
Calling all friends,

PAT 20
RC 21
GC 21
BIO 22
ORGO 24
QR 15
TS 22
AA 21

I don't think you have to re-take it, but you should be aware that some schools will automatically reject you based on that 15, so you shouldn't apply to those schools.