Poor student in college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RevGood

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from a bible college w/ a B.A. in Pastoral Ministry in 1995. I was a poor student (had a very strict upbringing, and I was finally free - as free as you can be in bible college), and my overall GPA (if I remember right) is somewhere around 2.5/2.6.

I plan on enrolling at a college in the South Bend, IN area (probably IUSB) to take the prereqs and see how I do. If I do really well, I am hoping it will raise my GPA up some.

So, as if it hasn't been asked a hundred thousand times already: Even if I aced my prereqs (which is unlikely, but I am sure going to try), and did great on the MCAT, what are my chances of getting into medical school?

If my chances aren't good, what steps can I take to improve them?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You might have to take more than just the pre-reqs if your GPA remains low. Much depends on how you do and where you are thinking of applying. You should also make yourself familiar with osteopathic medical schools as they are very forgiving of previous "mistakes" in people who have a solid upward trend. Certainly doing very well in all of your recent coursework, doing well on the MCAT and getting some good extracurriculars can make you more competitive.

"You might have to take more than just the pre-reqs if your GPA remains low."

What would be your suggestions as to what I should take?

Members don't see this ad :)
Start out with the pre-reqs and aim for nothing below an A. If you get a B or two, it won't kill you, but anymore than that and you'll be climbing an even steeper uphill climb. If your GPA was below 3.0 in undergrad, I'd look into doing at least 50 or 60 post-bacc credits. The pre-reqs are only 32 credits. After you get those done, I'd take upper level bio, like Cell Bio or Physiology, take Biochem, take Genetics, take Anatomy and Physiology. Basically, take as many science classes as you can because you HAVE to bring your GPA above a 3.0 and that isn't easy to do. Even with 50 credits of 4.0, you may end up with just a 2.8 overall GPA. Most med schools won't even look at your application unless the GPA is above a 3.0. You'll be screened out before you get a secondary app. The moral: get the GPA above a 3.0 regardless of how many credits that takes.

Agreed. With even 2 more years of post bac classes you may only be at the 3.0 border with solid A's, which is below the cutoff for most MD schools. Guys, chime in on this, but you may want to break up your road to medical school in the following way:
1) year one: post bac where you get 40 credits worth of A's and boost your GPA up to a 3.0 or close to it. take mostly science classes, as your science GPA is one of the 3 GPAs adcoms look at. They look at 1) overall GPA 2) BCPM (science and math) and 3) most recent year of school
2) year two: enroll in a SMP (master program) and get a 4.0

The master's grades won't help your undergraduate GPA, however, if you kick ass at that, you will have at least one high GPA in there and schools do look at graduate work too.

Just remember you've got favor on your side and the door will open at the right time if it's meant to. What made you decide to pursue medicine anyways?

Thanks for the replies everyone. I realize if I decide to go this way with my life that I have a lot of hard work ahead of me just to make it to medical school!

Why did I decide to pursue medicine? I have always enjoyed being around people in the healthcare profession. I hated to see my parishioners in the hospital, but enjoyed being in the hospital setting. I want to make a difference for people's lives in this life, not just in the life to come. Sometimes I feel helpless as minister when I see people suffering physically, and wish there was something more that I could do. As a doctor I can do more. I love to learn. I love to discover. I enjoy science.

All of the above!

I graduated from a bible college w/ a B.A. in Pastoral Ministry in 1995. I was a poor student (had a very strict upbringing, and I was finally free - as free as you can be in bible college), and my overall GPA (if I remember right) is somewhere around 2.5/2.6.

I plan on enrolling at a college in the South Bend, IN area (probably IUSB) to take the prereqs and see how I do. If I do really well, I am hoping it will raise my GPA up some.

So, as if it hasn't been asked a hundred thousand times already: Even if I aced my prereqs (which is unlikely, but I am sure going to try), and did great on the MCAT, what are my chances of getting into medical school?

If my chances aren't good, what steps can I take to improve them?

Thanks!
There is an ordained minister in my medical school class. He had his own church before returning to college to complete the missing science subjects. His undergraduate degree was in history and, of course, he attended seminary. In his case, he just completed the prerequisite courses 'piecemeal', and gained admission after taking the MCAT and doing well. For what it's worth, I think the Admissions Committee valued his unusual background. They like unusual people. Good luck!

I'm pretty sure where you do your postbac or prereqs...shouldnt matter. But it wouldnt hurt to take your classes as Notre Dame, a bit more reputable than IUSB. You can always develop a repore with the professors there and get outstanding letters of recs from them, do well in your course work, and get a stellar MCAT score. While taking classes, continue to immerse yourself with E.C.'s that shows your desire to be a physician. You have a unique background...that many do not have when applying to medschool. Use that to your advantage....but get the grades first.

Have you considered DO or Carib? They seem to be a bit more receptive to people in the 2.8 range (still an uphill battle, but at least an option).

I would have no problem going to a DO school (actually may apply to them even if I go after another undergrad first and rock the MCAT). I still need to do my prereqs and see how I do with them. If I do well I may just take the MCAT, apply and let the chips fall where they may. Maybe my experiences as a pastor will pique some interest.

Carib schools are out because I can't see moving my family, and I am not going to be away from them.