Poor Undergraduate University Choice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

skipsbarryimage

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A bit of a background: I toured a couple of schools last year and decided that a big campus was not for me, which lead to me applying to UW Stevens Point, UW Eau Claire, UW River Falls, and UMN Crookston (in the middle of nowhere..). I also applied to CSU just for kicks and giggle. I ended up being accepted to all of them and made my decision of Stevens Point due to their strong science program, the opportunity for me to create an equestrian club, the price, and location.

Fast forward to yesterday, I was at the barn doing a "fake" flextion test on a pony, the barn owner then suggested we do shots and medicines and whatnot. The lady holding said pony asked if I wanted to be a vet "or something". Of course I replied yes, I would like to become a vet. She asked if I was already in vet school, and I explained to her that, no, I would be going to Stevens Point next fall for Biochemistry and Psychology.

Later, the same lady approached me and asked "If you want to be a vet...why are you going to Stevens Point?"

😕 Apparently an A from UW Madison would look a lot better than an A from Stevens Point. I understand that...but, I never even applied to Madison, or even really thought of going to school there. The only reason I am thinking about their Veterinarian college is because it is my in-state. Plus, I did not have the required course work done to "qualify" for Madison. I DID have the GPA. Just no interest in the extra year of Spanish or even the school itself.

It is my understanding that since they are in the same system they have the same curriculum. Yes, one is ranked higher and is notoriously difficult, but I feel more "at home" with Point (and that's what you want when looking at undergrad, correct?)

She told me to get out of Stevens Point as soon as possible.

I'm just so upset that she kept carrying on about how bad of a decision Stevens Point was.

In-short: Is going to a small/medium sized school for undergrad really going to hurt my chances? If I do end up doing very well and being involved, as planned, does it really matter?
 
A bit of a background: I toured a couple of schools last year and decided that a big campus was not for me, which lead to me applying to UW Stevens Point, UW Eau Claire, UW River Falls, and UMN Crookston (in the middle of nowhere..). I also applied to CSU just for kicks and giggle. I ended up being accepted to all of them and made my decision of Stevens Point due to their strong science program, the opportunity for me to create an equestrian club, the price, and location.

Fast forward to yesterday, I was at the barn doing a "fake" flextion test on a pony, the barn owner then suggested we do shots and medicines and whatnot. The lady holding said pony asked if I wanted to be a vet "or something". Of course I replied yes, I would like to become a vet. She asked if I was already in vet school, and I explained to her that, no, I would be going to Stevens Point next fall for Biochemistry and Psychology.

Later, the same lady approached me and asked "If you want to be a vet...why are you going to Stevens Point?"

😕 Apparently an A from UW Madison would look a lot better than an A from Stevens Point. I understand that...but, I never even applied to Madison, or even really thought of going to school there. The only reason I am thinking about their Veterinarian college is because it is my in-state. Plus, I did not have the required course work done to "qualify" for Madison. I DID have the GPA. Just no interest in the extra year of Spanish or even the school itself.

It is my understanding that since they are in the same system they have the same curriculum. Yes, one is ranked higher and is notoriously difficult, but I feel more "at home" with Point (and that's what you want when looking at undergrad, correct?)

She told me to get out of Stevens Point as soon as possible.

I'm just so upset that she kept carrying on about how bad of a decision Stevens Point was.

In-short: Is going to a small/medium sized school for undergrad really going to hurt my chances? If I do end up doing very well and being involved, as planned, does it really matter?

No. I did most of my credits through community college, did online for genetics, and went to a chiropractic school that had a science specific program set up for medical students for all my science pre-reqs. I maintained excellent grades and carried a ridiculous course load to show I could handle pressure and had no issues brought up from schools. I contacted colorado and wisconsin as well as OKstate (where I will be attending) and Colorado was the only one that said they "preferred" four-year university but as long as they saw the syllabus, there would be no issue.

I believe undergrad choice has little bearing except that you carry a good workload to prove yourself and maintain good grades. Also just make sure you are a well rounded applicant with animal/vet and life experience and you will be just fine.
 
Even if school prestige is factored into an admissions decision, it's usually not a very large factor. People on this very forum have recommended A's at a community college over potentially lower grades (or even the same grades, but more expensive) at a bigger-name school.

Personally, I went to a small liberal arts college (I didn't want a big school either) which was out-of-state. Oh, and I also majored in Psychology. And I got into 4 of the 5 vet schools I applied to, including my in-state, which I'm starting in the fall. So I don't think going to a smaller school will hurt your chances, particularly if you use your time there well.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does prestige matter? Well, at certain schools yes, but at many others not at all.

But regardless, the rest of your application matters a whole lot more. This woman has her own bias, that is fine.. just concentrating on doing well, getting good experiences, and making yourself the best applicant possible.
 
A bit of a background: I toured a couple of schools last year and decided that a big campus was not for me, which lead to me applying to UW Stevens Point, UW Eau Claire, UW River Falls, and UMN Crookston (in the middle of nowhere..). I also applied to CSU just for kicks and giggle. I ended up being accepted to all of them and made my decision of Stevens Point due to their strong science program, the opportunity for me to create an equestrian club, the price, and location.

Fast forward to yesterday, I was at the barn doing a "fake" flextion test on a pony, the barn owner then suggested we do shots and medicines and whatnot. The lady holding said pony asked if I wanted to be a vet "or something". Of course I replied yes, I would like to become a vet. She asked if I was already in vet school, and I explained to her that, no, I would be going to Stevens Point next fall for Biochemistry and Psychology.

Later, the same lady approached me and asked "If you want to be a vet...why are you going to Stevens Point?"

😕 Apparently an A from UW Madison would look a lot better than an A from Stevens Point. I understand that...but, I never even applied to Madison, or even really thought of going to school there. The only reason I am thinking about their Veterinarian college is because it is my in-state. Plus, I did not have the required course work done to "qualify" for Madison. I DID have the GPA. Just no interest in the extra year of Spanish or even the school itself.

It is my understanding that since they are in the same system they have the same curriculum. Yes, one is ranked higher and is notoriously difficult, but I feel more "at home" with Point (and that's what you want when looking at undergrad, correct?)

She told me to get out of Stevens Point as soon as possible.

I'm just so upset that she kept carrying on about how bad of a decision Stevens Point was.

In-short: Is going to a small/medium sized school for undergrad really going to hurt my chances? If I do end up doing very well and being involved, as planned, does it really matter?
YOU make your undergraduate experience. The school you went to is a very, very, very small factor in your applications, if even a factor at all. The most important thing is that you go to an undergrad school that makes you happy and that keeps you out of debt! Work hard, get those A's, and you will be fine.

I went to a very small, relatively new undergrad and was accepted to 5 vet schools this fall. Let people get all worked up and pretentious about where you choose to go to school, but at the end of the day, those four years will be what you make of it.
 
Everyone thinks they are experts when it comes to getting into vet school. I went to a community college for 1.5 years before transferring to my undergrad which is a smaller public state school known to have the reputation as a "party" school. I liked the science department and I could continue riding...double win. My school choice did not keep me from getting me where I wanted to go.

Go where you want to go. You are in control of your future. Make the grades, get the experience, and you are on the right path.
 
Everyone thinks they are experts when it comes to getting into vet school. I went to a community college for 1.5 years before transferring to my undergrad which is a smaller public state school known to have the reputation as a "party" school. I liked the science department and I could continue riding...double win. My school choice did not keep me from getting me where I wanted to go.

Go where you want to go. You are in control of your future. Make the grades, get the experience, and you are on the right path.

👍
There is no shortage of people who will shove their strong, completely off based opinions at you. But they are simply that. I say if you're happy and doing well, gaining experience and good grades, the school you go to will have very little baring.
Vet schools like diversity too. If everyone came from big name schools (which do NOT necessarily equal better education IMO), there would be much less diversity in each class.
 
YOU make your undergraduate experience
.

I am a firm believe that one can acquire a quality education at any institution. What matters is that you seek out the opportunities that prepare you for the next step in your professional journey.

There are distinct negatives and positives to attending small and large schools. I attended large, public state schools for both my undergraduate and graduate degrees. This is my style. It certainly isn't for everyone, and I most definitely wouldn't recommend it for all students. I personally wouldn't have been happy at a small school, but have many friends who absolutely loved the intimacy of their small school experience. In the end, we all ended up doing just fine 🙂

Your education is up to you! Up to you to succeed, up to you to make happen 🙂 What's most important is that you're academically successful and enjoy the ride! Meet interesting people, expand your social and cultural horizons, and do new things. You'll remember your undergrad experience for a lifetime. I know that I certainly will!

People give well meaning advice when it comes to shaping your future. In the end, it's your decision. Choose the institution that makes you feel the most comfortable- where you get the best 'vibe,' which will also help you to satisfy the pre-requisites for veterinary school.

Good luck and enjoy the journey!
 
There is NOTHING wrong with doing your undergrad elsewhere from where you hope to go to vet school. I know I have classmates who went to River Falls, La Crosse and I'm sure Stevens Point as well. Heck, I'm from California and I go here. Just study hard, do well in your classes, get some good vet experience and you will be just fine. Trust me.