Popular externships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cyndia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any externships that you guys would highly recommend looking into? I know it's a bit early for me to be asking about this, but I've heard some of the really popular ones can fill up years in advance, and I really don't want to miss out on any awesome opportunities. I'm happy to travel, I'm mainly interested in zoo/aquatic or shelter medicine at the moment, but still interested in participating in other areas of externships, so I'm open to taking pretty much any suggestions that I can keep in the back of my head for applications later on. All I know is that I'm definitely planning on attending a spay/neuter externship with humane alliance. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Are there any externships that you guys would highly recommend looking into? I know it's a bit early for me to be asking about this, but I've heard some of the really popular ones can fill up years in advance, and I really don't want to miss out on any awesome opportunities. I'm happy to travel, I'm mainly interested in zoo/aquatic or shelter medicine at the moment, but still interested in participating in other areas of externships, so I'm open to taking pretty much any suggestions that I can keep in the back of my head for applications later on. All I know is that I'm definitely planning on attending a spay/neuter externship with humane alliance. :)
start looking up externships on the AAZV website and figure out which zoos interest you. They have listings there.

Humane Alliance in North Carolina!!!

I can't recommend this enough, especially if you are interested in surgery or shelter medicine. I contacted them in October of my 3rd year and they were full past my graduation but I got in off the wait list and I'm soooo glad I did! Now they have a new dorm and can accept more students so I think it wouldn't be so hard to get a spot, but I highly highly highly recommend it!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Humane Alliance in North Carolina!!!

I can't recommend this enough, especially if you are interested in surgery or shelter medicine. I contacted them in October of my 3rd year and they were full past my graduation but I got in off the wait list and I'm soooo glad I did! Now they have a new dorm and can accept more students so I think it wouldn't be so hard to get a spot, but I highly highly highly recommend it!!!

This externship was one of the highlights of my 4th year. I highly recommend it!

Oh I'm definitely doing humane alliance! Heard so many great things from so many people about it and I'm very interested in shelter med, so I've already applied and set a date for the summer before my senior year. I can't wait!

I've also heard great things about the Humane Alliance. In addition to shelter med externships, anybody have any recommendations for emergency/critical care ones?

I've also heard great things about the Humane Alliance. In addition to shelter med externships, anybody have any recommendations for emergency/critical care ones?
Bracco,

I think anywhere with a high caseload would be pretty great for ECC. I would also make sure they have a criticalist on staff. I'm also interested in ECC and did an externship at Angell and AMC and a few places in my state where I may end up at an internship to put my face/name out there. It also depends on what kind of exposure you're looking for--you won't see rattlesnake bites in Maryland or high rise syndrome in the middle of Ohio. HTH :)

Reactions: 1 user
Bracco,

I think anywhere with a high caseload would be pretty great for ECC. I would also make sure they have a criticalist on staff. I'm also interested in ECC and did an externship at Angell and AMC and a few places in my state where I may end up at an internship to put my face/name out there. It also depends on what kind of exposure you're looking for--you won't see rattlesnake bites in Maryland or high rise syndrome in the middle of Ohio. HTH :)

Did you already do your externship at Angell? Or is that what you have planned for final year rotations?

Did you already do your externship at Angell? Or is that what you have planned for final year rotations?
I did my externship at Angell already! This past summer in May.

Has anyone heard if the US Sheep Experiment Station externship is still available? I know that they had some issues that led to them almost closing this year.

Hi everybody,

I am sorry to post it on your thread but I would not prefer to create one just for the question I am going to ask:
I am planning to apply to the Veterinary externship program of the Marine Mammal Center in Sausalito, CA. I am from France, so I don't really know what do the US Vets expect as regards the length of the CV and the letter of intent they ask? On google, some people say no more than 1 page, and I find other websites stating the contrary, so I think that asking you is the best way to go!
Could you advise me please? :)
Thank you!