Popular Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Comet208

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

this might sound like a stupid question but i i'll ask it since i have been wondering...

i have noticed that some of the schools (like Tufts, Nova, UPenn, UConn,...) are being talked about a lot, almost daily, yet some other schools (such as case, SUNY Buffalo, OSU, ...) are rarely discussed, and i know that people have applied to those schools as well. my question is that do you guys just don't care about those schools or is it that you know everythig bout them?? or is it something different???

.......just wondering....

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Comet,

Your observations are right!! However, the main reason people are talking about Temple, UPENN, NOVA, Tufts, BU, NYU etc more than University of Washington, Buffalo, TX schools is that because they are private and do not discriminate applicants if they are residents of that particular state or not. Thus, naturally more people will talk about UPENN more than UCLA because more people are applying from all over the country. Even though people apply to UCLA who are from out of state their chances of acceptance is very low. Like University of Washington 82% of the applicants are out of the state, but they only interview 19% and give preference to instate students. This causes less people to apply, hence they less "popular" of a school it becomes to the applicant who is applying across the spectrum of schools.

Hope this helps.

DesiDentist

Hey Desi,
Just to clarify, Temple is a State funded university and not a private school. Temple admits over half of its class from outside of PA though. Just wanted to clarify so those of you applying have the right info.
T 2006