Positioning Challenges in Steep T

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SitraAchra

Attending Anesthesiologist
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wondering what everyone here does for positioning patients that require steep trendelenberg. I do robot hysterectomies at two separate locations. At location #1, the patient is placed on the "non-slip" pad on the OR table and that's that.

At location #2, the nurses are in the habit of placing the shoulder braces at the head of the bed with some egg-crate padding to stop the patient from sliding down the table.

My issue: All the literature I've found recommends against using any shoulder braces or cross-straps to secure the patient in the event they slip down the table - citing an increased risk of brachial plexus injury.

I made a stink about not wanting shoulder braces at location #2 and the whale of a patient kept sliding down the table a few inches once I put her head down. The fatter patients are the ones I'm more concerned about with brachial plexus injuries since their weight can cause some stretching in their shoulders. I came up with a middle of the road solution and had the nurse place a bean bag under the patient and moulded it around their shoulders and upper arms in hopes that it would make a larger surface area for the pressure to evenly distribute (also using a lot of egg-crate padding).

My concerns stem from a patient I had wake up with a weak arm. Thankfully I was at location #1 and had not used any type of shoulder brace, thus the damage was rightfully attributed to the surgeon's 4 hour debacle of a case and not something I did with positioning. However this got me paranoid that if these things can happen to a patient while following all guidelines, it can certainly be blamed on a shoulder brace/strap.

Or is the real solution to just tell the surgeon their morbidly obese patient doesn't get full T-berg because they can't stay put on the table?