Possibility of Ped Cards Fellowship

Started by cmdvol
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cmdvol

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am an almost graduate of a osteopathic medical school and will start my pediatrics residency at an osteopathic program in July. I have an interest in doing a pediatric cardiology fellowship, but I am still exploring and want to be clear about my chances.

To my knowledge, there are no osteopathic pediatric cardiology fellowships and a small number of allopathic pediatric cardiology fellowships. Given that I am doing an osteopathic residency, what are the chances that I will be able to get an allo pediatric cardiology fellowship? Does the new AMA/AOA agreement on combining match programs and dual-accreditation affect my chances?

I would be perfectly content to be a pediatrician, but I want to explore this possibility.
 
I am not an expert - I'm actually a peds card applicant my self this year. I do not see why you should not be able to apply to Peds Cards. In my program, DOs have successfully matched into many Peds sub specialties : NICU/PICU etc so i believe it is very possible.
 
I'm a DO currently applying Peds Cardio. Interviewed (well one left) at 3 programs but only applied narrowly secondary to family matters. Any questions you have let me know, I know of at least 2 DO's that have matched Peds Cardio in the last few years and I'm sure there are more.
 
I don't think I can specifically answer your question, but I think you have an uphill battle compared to had you gone through an allopathic residency. Most (but obviously not all) osteopathic peds residency programs have an exceptional focus on community/general pediatric care with limited (though not absent) exposure to subspecialty care. Competing against applicants that are at top cardiac centers (ie there are applicants who are coming from hospitals that are top centers in the country for heart transplants/ECMO/interventional procedures/etc) and have LOR's from well known experts in those fields will be tough if you're at a residency program that transfers all of your heart patients to another center.

I'm not painting a picture that it's impossible, just that comparatively, it's going to be tougher all things being equal. If your program is at a freestanding children's hospital with full complement of pediatric subspecialties, then you're probably fine and that will be evident in the list of where your programs' graduates go. But if you're not, then you have your work cut out for you.